Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
PW2 and time left in chapter

How does a kindle ereader calculate "Time left in chapter"? For me, the stated time is always wrong. It always gives a time which is too short. I've timed this several times and found it takes me far longer to read a chapter than the kindle has estimated.

Does it use an average?
Does it include the times I rifle through a book, looking ahead for information?
How does it cope with instances like putting the kindle aside to "powder my nose"?

I'm sure that the answer is very complex; I'm mathematically challenged, so please keep answers as simple as possible.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
It uses how fast you read a previous something and guesstimates.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
How does a kindle ereader calculate "Time left in chapter"? For me, the stated time is always wrong. It always gives a time which is too short. I've timed this several times and found it takes me far longer to read a chapter than the kindle has estimated.

Does it use an average?
Does it include the times I rifle through a book, looking ahead for information?
How does it cope with instances like putting the kindle aside to "powder my nose"?

I'm sure that the answer is very complex; I'm mathematically challenged, so please keep answers as simple as possible.
my basic kindle touch does exactly the same thing it under estimates the time left in the chapter. which is why i wish it had pages left in the chapter as an option but sadly it doesn't.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
On my Voyage and Paperwhite I always have the time left in chapter showing but I've never taken it too seriously. I don't think I read at a constant rate except, perhaps, when I'm timing myself.

I tend to re-read passages and look things up in wikipedia and the dictionary and stop to think about what I've just read. I doubt that the Kindle can possibly be accurate and I'm not sure I really care. If I see I have 2 minutes left in the chapter and I'm getting sleepy I'll get to the end before I put the book down. If I'm sleepy and it says 15 minutes I might just stop right then. That's really all it means to me.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #5
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Does it use an average?
1. Yes.
2. Yes sadly. I've noticed that if I accidentally skipped to another part of the book it throws the timer way off, especially early in the reading when it is very sensitive to outliers.
3. Not well, it keeps track during that time. That is why if there is any distraction I just put the Kindle to sleep. Taking that precaution and not skipping around results in a pretty accurate assessment in my reading time (not at first though).

I always hate the idea that it is constantly timing me.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
If I see I have 2 minutes left in the chapter and I'm getting sleepy I'll get to the end before I put the book down. If I'm sleepy and it says 15 minutes I might just stop right then. That's really all it means to me.

Barry
Same here, that is exactly how I use it.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:08 AM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
You can "reset" the time left in chapter by doing a search for ";ReadingTimeReset" from within a book. When you do the search, your Kindle should show no results, but when you go back to your book instead of showing the time left in chapter it will say "Learning Reading Speed". After a few pages, it will start reporting an estimated time left again.

In my experience on both my PW2 and Voyage, it seems like my reading speed will be reported fairly accurately for a while, then for no reason that I can see, it will suddenly seem to cut the estimate in half and report a much lower time than it will actually take me. Doing the search for ";ReadingTimeReset" will correct the estimate for awhile.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #8
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you so much for the interesting tips. Using the time left to judge whether to finish the chapter or go to bed seems like a useful idea. Also, being able to reset the kindle's learning of reading speed fascinates me. I'm trying it now - well, when I get off the computer!
Old 07-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #9
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Known problem. The KPW1 already had this. It starts out fairly accurately, but at some point it just cuts the time to read in half. (In my case.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:18 PM   #10
BookCat
C L J

Since I reset the Kindle's learning of reading speed it's far more accurate. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BookCat--

Glad that's working for you! In my case, I find the time left seems to be fairly accurate--except as I described in my prior post--when for some reason, it suddenly changes to cut the estimate in half. I'm not sure what causes this, and it sometimes happens multiple times in a book and sometimes not at all. Searching for ";ReadingTimeReset" corrects the time estimate for me, at least temporarily.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:30 PM   #12
BookCat
C L J

Thank you so much dordale.
I've copied and pasted that tip into notepad so I'll remember it in future. It's also great to pass this on to anyone else having the same problem.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:33 AM   #13
dordale
Wizard

You're very welcome Bookcat! I first read about the ";ReadingTimeReset" tip in a post by another MobileRead member quite some time ago.

Love these forums--they add so much usability to both my Kindles and my Kobos!

Tags
caculation, kindle pw2, time left in chapter