Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2017, 09:39 AM   #46
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
D, my affiliate is whatever was stipulated when I bought my KA1.

I thought 4.6.9995 was an old version.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:22 AM   #47
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
D, my affiliate is whatever was stipulated when I bought my KA1.

I thought 4.6.9995 was an old version.
Quite new, it's from October. But it doesn't contain the wifi crack fix yet, I think.
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2017, 09:23 PM   #48
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Since installing firmware 4.7.10413 on my Glo, the page that is displayed after finishing a KEPUB book no longer shows the reading stats for the book just finished. This has happened with both of the KEPUB books I have finished since installing this firmware version. Both were books synced from Kobo, not sideloaded.

Is this happening to anyone else, or is it just something wrong with the books or with my device/database?
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:38 PM   #49
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Since installing firmware 4.7.10413 on my Glo, the page that is displayed after finishing a KEPUB book no longer shows the reading stats for the book just finished. This has happened with both of the KEPUB books I have finished since installing this firmware version. Both were books synced from Kobo, not sideloaded.

Is this happening to anyone else, or is it just something wrong with the books or with my device/database?
I've definitely seen it. I can remember trying to decide between 1 and 2 stars for one book, and 4 and 5 for another.* But, I'll probably finish another on the way home tonight, so I'll make sure then. Actually, "38 mins to go". It isn't going to last even half the trip. What will I read after that?

Part of my problem with ratings is the different scales used. If you read the description, ratings 1-4 at Goodreads match the 2-5 ratings at Kobo. So, "It was OK", is 3 at Kobo but 2 at Goodreads. Kobo adds "I hated it" at the bottom, and Goodreads "It was amazing" at the top. If the ratings were purely in my own system, I would come up with something personal. But, these are shared, so I need to fit in a bit.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:44 PM   #50
MarkPhil
MarkPhil began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I only updated an H2O so far. If Chess is here I don't see it.

Under Settings>Beta Features are:
Web Browser
Large Print Mode
Sketch Pad
Sudoku
Unblock It
Solitaire
Word Scramble

I've never played any of the games so can't really comment on how well they work.
I just updated my Aura H2O Edition 2, and I'm still just seeing "Web Browser" and "Large Print Mode" under Beta Features. Is it normal for firmware updates to include beta features for some devices and not others?

Not too interested in the games, but can I ask what the Sketch Pad is? If it's just a blank page where you can type notes, I was actually just thinking the other day that I'd like to have something like that.
MarkPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2017, 11:53 PM   #51
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If the ratings were purely in my own system, I would come up with something personal. But, these are shared, so I need to fit in a bit.
I think you're one of the few people who care about fitting in ratings (You only have to read the feedback group in goodreads )
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:54 PM   #52
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkPhil View Post
I just updated my Aura H2O Edition 2, and I'm still just seeing "Web Browser" and "Large Print Mode" under Beta Features. Is it normal for firmware updates to include beta features for some devices and not others?
The firmware update includes the same beta features for all the devices. If you patch the device, then more features appear.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:32 AM   #53
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkPhil View Post

Not too interested in the games, but can I ask what the Sketch Pad is? If it's just a blank page where you can type notes, I was actually just thinking the other day that I'd like to have something like that.
Terisa answered but...

Starting with the Glo HD, Kobo dropped most of the beta features. These devices only have the browser and the recently added large print mode. I don't know why they have done this. My first guess would be a licensing issue for something in the games. Or it could be cost. Kobo might have decided not to spend the time and effort (== money) on updating them for the higher resolution screens.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:19 PM   #54
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
"Fixed: A highlight that ended at the end of a paragraph could not always be saved"

GOOD! It was really annoying as I might do hundreds of annotations on the Kobo H2O, Calibre reads these back more sensibly than Kindle annotations.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #55
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Just upgraded via Calibre.
Always a scary activity. I know both Android Tablets and Win10 Tablets of friends bricked irrevocably by automatic official firmware updates!

Don't see anything different. I do hope the annotation bug is gone, but it was less severe on the last update (4.6.99?).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:17 PM   #56
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Reading stats

The reading stats seem to be broken with this firmware version.

The estimated time remaining in a KePub book still works, and seems to be accurate, but the stats for the current book shown on my "Activity" page are all zeros even after I have been reading for hours, and the total hours read has not increased.

The problem of the stats not being shown on the ratings page after finishing a KePub book is probably just a side-effect of this, it sees that the stats are all zero and so doesn't display them.

(Edit: The heroine in this book is called Terisa Morgan, or sometimes Lady Terisa of Morgan. I feel like I've heard that name somwhere ...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	activity.png
Views:	716
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	160821  

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-20-2017 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Added screenshot
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:45 PM   #57
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

The estimated time remaining in a KePub book still works, and seems to be accurate, but the stats for the current book shown on my "Activity" page are all zeros even after I have been reading for hours, and the total hours read has not increased.
Looking at the last few purchased kepubs I have read/finished, the one I started this morning shows zeros as does the one I finished last night. But, the books before this show stats. Now, I changed over to my Aura H2O the other night*. The last book with stats was read on the Aura ONE. I don't remember whether I started the next book on the Aura ONE or not, but it was finished on the Aura H2O.

I've also read a couple of short stories as epubs, and they don't show stats.
Quote:
The problem of the stats not being shown on the ratings page after finishing a KePub book is probably just a side-effect of this, it sees that the stats are all zero and so doesn't display them.
The book I finished on the way home last night prompted me for a rating. I didn't look at the stats at the time, but they are showing as zero now.

Edit: I didn't read the original post properly. I read it as the end of book page not showing up, not that it was showing up but with no stats. So,

* I gave the Aura ONE to my wife to try instead of her Glo. I don't think I'm getting it back until I get her a new one. But, I've got another toy to play with in the meantime

Last edited by davidfor; 12-21-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:29 AM   #58
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
(Edit: The heroine in this book is called Terisa Morgan, or sometimes Lady Terisa of Morgan. I feel like I've heard that name somwhere ...)
I read those books when I was 20, more or less, and I think she is one of the few heroines I can relate to.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:29 PM   #59
JIPG-reader
Zealot
JIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Ed2, Onyx Boox C67ML
Quote:

I also have this problem for books that were not started before the update.
JIPG-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:17 PM   #60
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
looks like I'll be downgrading until the bug is fixed. Reading stats are one of the few features I actually use...
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote