Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-03-2018, 11:43 AM   #106
michailbachtin
Enthusiast
michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Sony PSR-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by colibris79 View Post
If the firmware is similar to the Boyue I would go install Goldendict or Colordict, they handle stardict dictionaries better (some of them don't even work in my Boyue). If you get a white pop-up window with Goldendict you have install either the GoldenDict-1.6.5-Android-3.0+ version or the normal GoldenDict-1.6.5 from their website:
Free version
Paid version

Have you checked if the OTG works?
Thanks for this info. Goldendict now works on my Icarus Illumina XL HD...
michailbachtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:47 PM   #107
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltonmike View Post
Is anyone else having problems with loading books from Calibre via usb to Illumina XL HD? I had to fiddle with the settings in Calibre to get it to work but the book covers don't show on device. I have also tried copying a folder with book and cover, and downloading from calibre compagnon but neither shows the cover
I exclusively use calibre companion to get my books on the device. You don't say exactly how you are transferring the books to your device. Saying, "I had to fiddle with the settings in Calibre to get it to work" doesn't mean anything.

chaley the creator of calibre companion answered a similar question about Moon+ Reader. I'm betting his 2nd solution would work for you as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The SD card issue has nothing to do with this problem. Moon+ gets the covers from the book file, not CC's database. If you aren't seeing covers then they are not in the books.

When you send a book using the wireless device, calibre automatically updates the metadata and cover in the copy of book file being sent (not the original). The same thing is true when you use the content server connection. However, when you use the cloud connection, calibre doesn't have the opportunity to update the book, so you get whatever cover (or lack thereof) is stored in the book.

There are two solutions.
  1. Use CC as the library manager, either in cover grid or list view. When you download a book, CC grabs the cover from the cloud and stores it in its database. It doesn't care about the cover in the book file.
  2. Update the metadata in the book manually using calibre so moon+ can see it. Two calibre commands that do this are polish and modify epub. If you want to further discuss these commands or alternatives, post in the main calibre forum.
Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2018, 08:31 AM   #108
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Here is a link to firmware Icarus-Ereader_V1.0.0-2017112317 for model Icarus-E785BK that I received from the company today after submitting a support ticket requesting the firmware update.

I connected via USB, placed the update.zip file in the parent directory of My device. Ejected the device from the USB connection. Then I went to Settings - System update - selected to update From local memory. The device then rebooted and installed the update without a hitch.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-06-2018 at 05:11 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:55 PM   #109
p38lightning
Zealot
p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Lenovo Tab M9
I just got caught up on this forum's messages and uploaded my zip file. When I went to post the url, you had beaten me to the punch! Glad you were able to get it and provide it to the group.

1/10/2018: Any thoughts from the group re Icarus not providing software/firmware updates via their web site? Was somewhat taken aback when they told me that essentially they would not provide or make updates available unless requested. My unit's quirks have been lessened since this recent update but it still has issues.

Last edited by p38lightning; 01-10-2018 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Added queries and info.
p38lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:18 PM   #110
cruc2017
cruc2017 began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD
Hi all!
I have a problem with an Icarus Illumina XL HD.
The comic viewer doesn't work. Every time I try to open a comic book it gives an error message ("Unfortunately, Comic Reader has stopped.") and it exits.
Does anyone else has this problem?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you.
cruc2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2018, 12:21 AM   #111
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony T1, Onyx C67ML, Poke 4, Boyue Paper/Likebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruc2017 View Post
Hi all!
The comic viewer doesn't work. Every time I try to open a comic book it gives an error message ("Unfortunately, Comic Reader has stopped.") and it exits.
Thank you.
As far as I know, the app "Comic Reader" is the app that the reader uses to view images but I have never been able to open comics with it. I use Perfect Viewer for that purpose and it works just fine (and its pdf plugin manages pdfs pretty well also)

Last edited by colibris79; 01-10-2018 at 02:36 AM.
colibris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:03 AM   #112
fernsruben
Connoisseur
fernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Boyue Likebook Plus, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura, Galaxy Tab 3
Quote:
Hi all!
Thank you.
Apparently, the comic reader application is experimental and not really in active development and support by the dev team. So I cross questioned them about the fact that they advertise the device for browsing manga. What they replied is that most manga are available in PDF and EPUB and comic viewing isn't really a great viewing experience on a monochrome e-ink display.

Sent from my AO5510 using Tapatalk
fernsruben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:18 AM   #113
cruc2017

Thank you very much for your replies.

I will try out Perfect Viewer.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:34 AM   #114
etatoby
etatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notes

Device: BOOX Note 3, HiSense A5 Pro CC
I've been using my Illumina XL HD for one month now, and all things considered, I'm very happy with it.

The form factor, screen quality, choice of OS, battery life, and overall product design are perfect both for reading manga and technical books and for browsing the web.

The only real issue I'm having is that taps quite often don't go through, so I have to try tapping again 2 or 3 times to turn the page or click a link. My unit came with V1.0.0-2017112317 which I guess is the latest version. I'll try emailing support about this problem.

Other minor issues, in no particular order: no SD card slot, you have 13 GB for your apps and data and that's it; no hardware "volume" buttons to turn the page with, which compounds the tapping issue; the built-in screen locker is somewhat slow / broken (when turning the device on you can use it for several seconds before the screen is locked!) and one time I found the unit locked with a different screen locker (maybe the stock OS one?) that didn't recognize my code, so I had to reboot; the front light is very cold (blue) which is not the best when reading at night; everything feels veeeeery slow compared to a regular Android tablet or phone, even cheap ones.

Don't get me wrong, AFAIK this is the only reader being sold right now with a 8" HD eInk screen and Android OS, and it does a pretty good job. I'm very happy with it! The OS alone is a huge improvement over my old PocketBook InkPad.

The apps I'm using the most, apart from the built-in book reader, are Firefox with uBlock Origin extension and Tachiyomi, hands down the best app for reading manga (make sure you disable page transitions in the settings.)

Last edited by etatoby; 01-13-2018 at 08:58 AM.
etatoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:30 AM   #115
etatoby
etatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notes

Device: BOOX Note 3, HiSense A5 Pro CC
Here are a few pictures comparing a real manga with the best scanlation I could find. The pictures were taken in overcast daylight through a window, with e-reader frontlight turned off. As you can see, nothing compares to the real thing yet, both in detail and paper brightness. But the scanlation is still quite readable.

In the macro picture of the e-reader I tried to focus on the pixels underneath the "frosted glass" surface of the screen (otherwise you would just see the frosted glass texture.) You can see the pixel size if you look at the vertical motion lines on Yotsuba's t-shirt. They are easily an order of magnitude larger than the ink resolution on the paper version!

PS: I'm using this $6 Neewer Clip-On 3 Element 20x Macro Lens, in case you want to take similar pictures.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180113_132807+.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	161489   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180113_134405+.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	161490   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180113_134633+.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	161491  

Last edited by etatoby; 01-13-2018 at 08:48 AM.
etatoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #116
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
And what about technical documents? Have you tried magazines like Scientific American? I had a 9.7" reader and didn't feel very comfortable to read on it.
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #117
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by etatoby View Post
I've been using my Illumina XL HD for one month now, and all things considered, I'm very happy with it.

The only real issue I'm having is that taps quite often don't go through, so I have to try tapping again 2 or 3 times to turn the page or click a link. My unit came with V1.0.0-2017112317 which I guess is the latest version. I'll try emailing support about this problem.
I found the lightest of touches works best, but had a lot of trouble with the Illumina screen. Since I like to use a remote anyway, I use a bluetooth remote for page turning. OTG adapters also work well.

Something like these:
https://www.amazon.com/LZYDD-Bluetoo...volume+control

OTG:
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Pres...wireless&psc=1

and an adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/CHENYANG-Ultr...ds=otg+adapter

If you use bluetooth, install Bluetooth Always On or a similar utility. The Boox remote also works with Bluetooth.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #118
cruc2017

I tried Perfect Viewer for reading comics and it works well (thanks colibris79). I wish it went on A2 mode when it scrolls (like it does in the web browser).

I have another question for you. I am from Greece and when I read greek e-pub files I don't get any hyphenation in the text. I have the file "hyph_ell.dic" from the Libreoffice project, but I cannot find other hyphenation dictionaries in the SD card.

So, how do I hyphenate greek text?

Thank you all.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #119
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony T1, Onyx C67ML, Poke 4, Boyue Paper/Likebook
Quote:

I have another question for you. I am from Greece and when I read greek e-pub files I don't get any hyphenation in the text. I have the file "hyph_ell.dic" from the Libreoffice project, but I cannot find other hyphenation dictionaries in the SD card.

So, how do I hyphenate greek text?

Thank you all.
Why don't you use apps like Alreader or Moon Reader? They have their own hyphenation options (thought I don't use them)
colibris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:17 AM   #120
Oscarrr
Oscarrr began at the beginning.

Device: BOYUE Likebook Plus, Boyue T62D
Quote:
Originally Posted by colibris79 View Post
Why don't you use apps like Alreader or Moon Reader? They have their own hyphenation options (thought I don't use them)
+1 for Alreader.
My native language is hungarian, with very difficult hyphenation rules.
Alreader's integrated hyphenation is very good. Worth a try.

Last edited by Oscarrr; 01-17-2018 at 03:20 AM.
Oscarrr is offline   Reply With Quote