Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-20-2017, 05:50 PM   #76
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by colibris79 View Post
Weird . I was using bluetooth keyboard. Mine was writing fine (I just wrote a couple of lines though)
I suppose, if you typed some more, you should see it stops rendering.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:54 AM   #77
Enthusiast
guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Inkbook 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
The first question would be: which system apps did you remove?
Almost immediately I've removed:
BasicDreams.apk, BasicDreams.odex, BoyueImage.apk, BoyueImage.odex, BoyueLock.apk, BoyueLock.odex, Calculator.odex, Calendar.apk, Calendar.odex, ComicReader.apk, Contacts.odex, DeskClock.odex, DeviceTest.apk, DeviceTest.odex, Dict.apk, Email.apk, Email.odex, Exchange2.apk, Exchange2.odex, Galaxy4.odex, Gallery.odex, Gmail.apk, GmsCore.apk, GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk, GoogleLoginService.apk, GoogleServicesFramework.apk, HoloSpiralWallpaper.odex, LiveWallpapers.odex, LiveWallpapersPicker.odex, MagicSmokeWallpapers.odex, Music.apk, Music.odex, MusicFX.odex, NoiseField.odex, NotePad.apk, OSenseUpdate.apk, OSenseUpdate.odex, OfficeReader.apk, OpenWnn.apk, OpenWnn.odex, PhaseBeam.odex, Phone.odex, Phonesky.apk, PhotoTable.odex, PicoTts.odex, PinyinIME.apk, PinyinIME.odex, QuickSearchBox.apk, QuickSearchBox.odex, RKUpdateService.apk, RKUpdateService.odex, SoundRecorder.odex, UserManual.apk, UserManual.odex, VideoEditor.odex, WifiTransfer.apk, WifiTransfer.odex, com.android.vending.apk
and I don't really know how the device works with those app installed.

Later I removed:
AdobeReader.apk, BackupRestoreConfirmation.apk, BackupRestoreConfirmation.odex, Bluetooth.apk, Bluetooth.odex, BoyueBooks.apk, BoyueBooks.odex, Browser.apk, Browser.odex, Cover.apk, FBReader.apk, FileManager.apk, FontManager.apk, FontManager.odex, HTMLViewer.apk, HTMLViewer.odex, Launcher2.apk, Launcher2.odex, SharedStorageBackup.apk, SharedStorageBackup.odex, TelephonyProvider.odex, UserDictionaryProvider.odex, VpnDialogs.apk, VpnDialogs.odex, WAPPushManager.odex, bicp.apk
but I haven't noticed, and wasn't able to measure significant increase in the battery life so they're back.

Better battery life can be noticed after removing:
Settings.apk, Settings.odex
so now settings app is gone.

Quote:
And: you only have those few lines as "CPU usage"? My list is huge (comparatively).
In top I've limited number of processes with the parameter. There are more processes running.
In dumpsys there are more processes, but for all others there is around 0% usage, so I didn't show those.

Quote:
As a matter of fact, the "idle" percentages of `top` are more reassuring (and I cannot match them with the load values) - but I see some misbehaviour.
Probably I should have mentioned before. Of course those 0% were taken when the device wasn't doing very much. And probably the screen was off. (those 1% in dumpsys when it should be 0% was for sure taken with the screen off).
But a few minutes ago, with the screen on, top was showing that irq/171-rk818 was using 3%. Now, like for all other processes, top is again showing 0% (screen still is on).

Quote:
One of the problems I am experiencing is: the device seems to fall asleep like a narcoleptic. When you are "flipping pages" interleaving long breaks, you may not notice it, but if you are using an interactive application - such as, you are typing on a BlueTooth keyboard - after a little while you can bang all you want on the keyboard but the screen will remain frozen. Touch on the screen, and your past bangs will be rendered in a burst.

I need the device to work on interactive applications: I need the way and the option to inhibit that it falls asleep.
I don't use the device that way, so I didn't test it, but I think that there are some solutions for your problem. For example you could write an app that uses wake lock. Or easier use Automate (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...malab.automate) - you can create a graph that keeps wake lock when the bluetooth in on, and releases the lock when bluetooth is off.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2017, 12:51 PM   #78
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Interesting.

One of the problems I am experiencing is: the device seems to fall asleep like a narcoleptic. When you are "flipping pages" interleaving long breaks, you may not notice it, but if you are using an interactive application - such as, you are typing on a BlueTooth keyboard - after a little while you can bang all you want on the keyboard but the screen will remain frozen. Touch on the screen, and your past bangs will be rendered in a burst.

I need the device to work on interactive applications: I need the way and the option to inhibit that it falls asleep.
Having the same experience: Page turns with bluetooth register but don't always actually turn the page. Sometimes they will turn the page in 3 to 5 seconds, other times not at all until a page turn is made with a touch and then two pages will turn. Or, click the remote three times, not rapidly, and eventually all of them will turn. And the touch is extremely odd. Only the tiniest of touches or using a stylus seem to work some of the time.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #79
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
I don't use the device that way, so I didn't test it, but I think that there are some solutions for your problem. For example you could write an app that uses wake lock. Or easier use Automate (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...malab.automate) - you can create a graph that keeps wake lock when the bluetooth in on, and releases the lock when bluetooth is off.
The information you posted is excellent, and I will check it thoroughly as soon as I will be at my desk.

I rememered the Wake Lock differently, but it could be it: I will take the Kingsoft (and TextMaker) apk and test injecting the different flags of the wake lock mechanism, maybe starting already with the "full wake lock".

That of Automate is an excellent tip!

But that it is not the only limiter they put: try a VNC (or TeamViewer, or other) session; on other devices, the mouse cursor is updated continuously, on the Icarus it is updated much less frequently. I have not taken stats, but I can say that you have to look for where it "randomly" went at every wrist move - you cannot see any cursor movement.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:42 PM   #80
Neru
!!!
Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Boox Note 2, Boox i86
Hello. I've asked this in other thread but this seems to be more active. Could someone post a link for a backup of device please? I've 'bricked' my XL HD and forgot to make a backup before messing with stuff that needs root. Tried a lot of things but none seemed to work.
Edit: solved, thanks to @guest and @Cronix !

Last edited by Neru; 10-30-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Neru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 02:06 PM   #81
etatoby
etatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notes

Device: BOOX Note 3, HiSense A5 Pro CC
This reader just became available for preorder on Icarus' website, for those who completely missed the Indiegogo campaign.

I just placed my preorder.
etatoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:53 PM   #82
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony T1, Onyx C67ML, Poke 4, Boyue Paper/Likebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neru View Post
Hello. I've asked this in other thread but this seems to be more active. Could someone post a link for a backup of device please? I've 'bricked' my XL HD and forgot to make a backup before messing with stuff that needs root. Tried a lot of things but none seemed to work.
Have you tried writing to Icarus?
colibris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:04 AM   #83
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by colibris79 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neru View Post
Have you tried writing to Icarus?
Writing to Icarus to tell them what, that he solved his self inflicted issue?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:13 AM   #84
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Writing to Icarus to tell them what, that he solved his self inflicted issue?
I wrote in the past to other companies asking for a firmware that was not available in their webpage and they sent it. I would try, it will take you two minutes. Tell them you need the firmware and it is not available in the web (and others are)
Old 11-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #85
sergi0
sergi0 began at the beginning.

Device: ICarus XL HD
Hello,

I was trying to add some dictionnary using the method explained in the manual, but so far I have problem with the default app (I want to be able to access the dictionnary by clicking on a word). It works with some dictionnary, but when I add other, the app crash.

Where I can find a reliable source of dictionnary ?

Moreover, when using the one that work, the HTML tags are present. Not super user friendly, even if that does the job...

Cheers,

Serge
sergi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:49 PM   #86
colibris79
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergi0 View Post
Hello,

I was trying to add some dictionnary using the method explained in the manual, but so far I have problem with the default app (I want to be able to access the dictionnary by clicking on a word). It works with some dictionnary, but when I add other, the app crash.
I have never been able to make the stock dictionary work properly (happened the same in my Onyx device). I switched to Goldendict. Check here
Old 11-15-2017, 06:42 PM   #87
Wicked John
Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura
nvm...

Last edited by Wicked John; 11-30-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Wicked John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:46 AM   #88
Neru
!!!
Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Boox Note 2, Boox i86
Hello. Anyone here tried installing firmware of Boyue t80s to Icarus Illumina XL HD?
Neru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #89
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
The information you posted is excellent, and I will check it thoroughly as soon as I will be at my desk.
Excuse this off-topic question, but you seem to have some acknowlege about this kind of devices and I would ask you:
- On another thread someone posted a link to a web page where a Boyue device with Android 4.4.2 can be seen. Is it very difficult to upgrade to a newer Android version these devices? If not, I guess we can expect soon an upgraded Android on Likebook Plus/Icarus XL.

Last edited by viceant; 12-06-2017 at 04:59 PM.
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:56 AM   #90
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
- On another thread someone posted a link to a web page where a Boyue device with Android 4.4.2 can be seen. Is it very difficult to upgrade to a newer Android version these devices? If not, I guess we can expect soon an upgraded Android on Likebook Plus/Icarus XL.
Since these came out new with 4.2.2 I would not expect any Android version change to these devices. They had a slew of version to choose from and they chose this version for the job.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote