Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 10-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bookeen
Can we please have a separate forum section for Koreader?

I feel like Koreader is a powerful app that supports multiple platforms and it is almost device agnostic at the moment. It is the only ereading application that has impressive features (zsync, awesome text reflow, cops support, reading sync, stats, calibre wireless, etc) that most other reading apps do not have (given that most reader apps have limited platform support) . Why not have a separate section for this great application? And that way we can promote it better and help other Koreader users. I do not feel like Github bug reports is a good place for questionares.

thanks

Last edited by loviedovie; 10-20-2015 at 12:14 PM.
loviedovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #2
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
I don't think there is a separate section for any ebook apps right now, are there? Unless maybe if you count Calibre/Calibre Companion.

What kind of user base does it have. It doesn't look like they have even put an app out in the Play Store yet. I'm 100x less likely to install something that isn't even available through standard channels.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See an epic thread on it here --> Koreader running on Kobos (all of them, hopefully!).

Currently over 2440 posts in that one thread.

I really pity people trying to learn about KoReader and the absence of separate threads on different issues.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
And the Kindle thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209276
850 posts

And the Legacy KindlePDFViewer thread (for non-touch devices): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157047
1033 posts

And those are just the three megathreads -- some people start new threads.

I can easily see the attraction of a KOReader forum.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:12 PM   #5
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I naturally know all those mega threads, but the thing is that KOReader supports many platforms so it would be hard for developers (if they care) or users to stay on top of those massive threads in different forums.

I realize that KOReader is not a main stream app however it is one of those app that can help ebooks in general given that it provides magnificient platform support and offers great features. As far as I know no other ereader app offers this level of reflowing/pdf handling along with syncing and calibre device and opds support etc. On top of those it offers Wikipedia and Evernote support. Even if some apps provide simialr features, they are generally limited to a single platform ie like Android or Onyx (even Onyx Neo reader is not as refined as KOReader and lacks most of the Koreader features ).

I use KOReader on Kobo, Android and Linux. So where shall I put my questions? I can definetely post them in one of those mega threads but questions and answers get burried in there so future prospective users might not be able get benefits from mega threads really.

I am not going to lie about this. KOReader changed my life because I read alot of old scanned pdf books and it is the only app that makes reading pdfs pleasant on ereaders. My Kobo Glo became much more useful to me after I installed KOReader. So yes I am bit passionate about it.

Anyway, maybe we can have a separate software topic where multiple sub software topics can live inside.

just my couple cents.

Last edited by loviedovie; 10-20-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Advert
Old 10-20-2015, 09:37 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
We agree with you.
Pointing out the mega threads is a demonstration that it is clearly popular enough.

Calibre Companion was popular in a similar way, and finally got moved to its own subforum. I think most Calibre Companion users appreciate the breathing space.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:04 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
I don't think there is a separate section for any ebook apps right now, are there? Unless maybe if you count Calibre/Calibre Companion.
Sure there are in the same section as calibre there are 2 dedicated ereading programs; Marvin, EPUBReader and a book convertor in the Writer2ePub extention. Of course the developer of each of these programs is an active Mobileread user and requested those sections so they could support their program. If the developer requests a section in this area and is willing to Mod the section I bet they can get it created.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:04 AM   #8
WolfBack
Zealot
WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kobo Aura 6'', Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo HD
I think that we need a separate section for Koreader.
I spend a lot of my time reading this forum and forget to check the GitHub for any nightly build was released. I miss some of them, already.
Koreader is a perfect alternative reader (a must-have tool) but I think is lack of information on MR (new releases, changelogs, known bugs, e.t.c.). Everything that, occasionally, I seek in this forum. No one can read 2,447 posts in one single thread and find the right answer without some separate categories, IMHO.

Last edited by WolfBack; 10-21-2015 at 05:07 AM.
WolfBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:26 AM   #9
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Sure there are in the same section as calibre there are 2 dedicated ereading programs; Marvin, EPUBReader and a book convertor in the Writer2ePub extention. Of course the developer of each of these programs is an active Mobileread user and requested those sections so they could support their program. If the developer requests a section in this area and is willing to Mod the section I bet they can get it created.
I stand corrected.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I agree. We do need forum sections for reading programs when they are popular enough.

Heck, we have a separate forum sections for much less popular software than KOReader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:25 AM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Perhaps, a forum for "Add-on" readers and Prefix for KOReader and Coolreader. We would also need a Pre-prefix for the device, or a device column.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 10-21-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #12
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Koreader has surprised me by becoming my primary reader on my Kobo. In fact, I never boot to the stock reader anymore. I would welcome a dedicated Koreader section, and I think the technical nature of the app, combined with it's popularity, is a solid rationale to create one.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #13
loviedovie
Addict

I am delighted to see all these replies. I hope that we get a dedicated forum for KOReader and also for K2PdfOpt(which is another awesome piece of software)
Old 10-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #14
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
I support it as I'm using koreader exclusively on my reader. It's really great software.

And, in a thread for kobo devices you can find modification that makes it even more useful (turning device off from main menu, because of power bug and light switch, especially useful on H2O that is without hardware light switch). It probably could be easier if modifications like this have it's own thread within koreader forum.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:59 AM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Working on it.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote