Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-14-2017, 08:18 PM   #1
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I AM PEVEED! Maybe some one can help me.....

Well I am having problems getting the correct Date & Time set.... this started when I tried to Leap Forward!! I Tried setting it my self... Going on Wifi....Now not sure What to do???

Going on WiFi Messed up the WHOLE Kobo! ALL of My COLLECTIONS have VANISHED! Dang Kobo did an Update & Now Nothing works right!
I have tried rebooting several times...didn't bring my Collections back 400+ pages of e-books & I Cant find a e-book to read.... UGH

and in ADVANCE!!!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:24 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If most of your eBooks are side loaded with Calibre and you have automatic management set, just run Calibre, go to the library you side load with and connect your Kobo. That will fix the collections for the eBooks you side load.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:35 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What f/w are you on right now?

Sent from my Nexus+7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:39 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Firmware 4.3.8945
Old 03-14-2017, 08:51 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If most of your eBooks are side loaded with Calibre and you have automatic management set, just run Calibre, go to the library you side load with and connect your Kobo. That will fix the collections for the eBooks you side load.
IIRC she doesn't use Calibre for loading her books.

@Katie you can try running Repair Account, Settings-->Device Information-->Repair your Kobo account, to bring back any collections that were on the device the last time it sync'd, but the collections will be empty of any sideloaded books IIRC. I know my, and several others, had their collections wiped out with some of the more recent firmware updates and that helped some folks. When I did the repair on mine I got back four empty collections even though I had only currently had two on the device (two were older ones apparently "stuck" on Kobo's server). I don't envy folks who have dozens or even hundreds of collections and have them disappear. Thankfully I find that for myself it's just more useful to just search by Author, Title or Series Name and find what I'm looking for on the device that way.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:55 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

UGH I do hope this works I Had 20+ Pages of Collections. Cant begin to figure out How to even put them in & add All the e-books to each.

Thanks giving the repair a try!
Old 03-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Katie,

I'm surprised your Kobo didn't automatically adjust for daylight savings time. Mine did though I rarely connect to Wi-Fi*

I did have to do a complete factory reset when my Wi-Fi firmware update screwed up though. Using Calibre to manage my Kobo saved my bacon there. The sideloaded books were still on the SD card and plugging the Kobo in to Calibre redid my collections. All I lost were my reading stats.

For the amount of work you obviously put in to your library, I really don't understand why you don't use Calibre. It is useful for just this sort of situation.

*I do leave Wi-Fi enablled. I just don't sync ever.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 03-16-2017 at 10:08 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:15 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

AnemicOak Repair work the 2nd time I tried it. Got Collections back But No e-books are in them Tried re-boot that didn't work ugh. Any way THANKS on at least getting the collections back!
Old 03-15-2017, 01:12 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
AnemicOak Repair work the 2nd time I tried it. Got Collections back But No e-books are in them Tried re-boot that didn't work ugh. Any way THANKS on at least getting the collections back!
Katie, do you store all your books on the SD card? If so, have you tried plugging the SD card into your PC to confirm the books are still there?
Old 03-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #10
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
I really think that Kobo should issue some sort of warning before it installs updates to prevent these kinds of situations. It could automatically download the updates and then simply present you with a popup box asking if you would like to install them and warning you to backup you library. It really shouldn't be that difficult. Just like the message that pops up when you plug your Kobo into a computer.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:45 AM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

IS this a Common Problem with Kobo? Or was this a Fluke?

My Date & Time are Now Both messed up! Putting ALL these e-books in their collections so I can read what I haven't read is a HUGE Pain!

IF this is Normal I going to Sell this e-reader
Old 03-16-2017, 06:01 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The loss of collections was a bug in one of the recent firmware. It has since been fixed.

I'm not sure about the Date and Time. If you are talking about the clock, then it should be updated each time you connect to WiFi. But, if it is out by to much (no, I don't know how much is to much) the time won't be changed. I haven't seen any problems with this. I do use the clock all the time, and it is accurate. I haven't seen any issues with the date. Of course, it might be an idea to check the timezone.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:12 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've side loaded all (except one) of the new 4.3 firmware and I've not lost any of my collections. Maybe you can try side loading the new firmware. You can go to the thread on 4.3.8966 and get the firmware ink from there.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:07 AM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

I leave Wi-Fi enabled and I've not had any problems with date and time on my Kobo and I have the same model as you, I think.

I'd recommend leaving Wi-Fi on. It doesn't stay connected all the time, so it doesn't waste your battery much. And it prevents problems like the one you had.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:38 PM   #15
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
IS this a Common Problem with Kobo? Or was this a Fluke?

My Date & Time are Now Both messed up! Putting ALL these e-books in their collections so I can read what I haven't read is a HUGE Pain!

IF this is Normal I going to Sell this e-reader
It was a fluke, and in all fairness, something like this can happen to any brand reader.

Using Calibre makes problems like this trivial though, which is why the majority of us here use it. It would take you a matter of minutes to transfer your books back to your reader after any mishaps and have them all neatly in the Collections you set. If I remember from the Amazon forums, you did use Calibre to transfer your books to your Kindle, so I'm not sure why you're so dead set against using Calibre with Kobo. Maybe now is the time to reconsider using Calibre and give it a try to see how well it works for Collections.

I feel like I should apologize ahead of time for mentioning Calibre. I'm not trying to be pushy about it, just trying to get you back to enjoying your reader quicker so you can just sit back, relax and read instead of stressing over Collections.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote