Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #181
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
I've had the same problem once when adding many bookmarks, but don't know the cause. I don't normally use bookmarks that much, so I haven't done any further testing to find out the cause.
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #182
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvs View Post
I've had the same problem once when adding many bookmarks, but don't know the cause. I don't normally use bookmarks that much, so I haven't done any further testing to find out the cause.
Again, this look like another UDS issue. Sorry, can't help with it.

Iņigo
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #183
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
Again, this look like another UDS issue. Sorry, can't help with it.

Iņigo
It could also be a memory problem. I do not know the behaviour of UDS, but it might read all bookmarks (which are stored as thumbnails in the local metadata.db) in memory at once. Causing the memory to fill completely which could lead to crashes. What is the size of the metadata.db file which such a document that has many bookmarks?
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #184
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
[Newspaperdirect & DR800+ incompatibilities]
Hi HansTWN,

I've been testing the newspaperdirect app (/usr/bin/pressreader) and DR800+.

Running pressreader reports some error messages on console about haven't been able to add menu items. This happens even with plain 2.0RC3 firmware.

With DR800+ v3, running pressreader makes popupmenu crash, but this doesn't happen with DR800+ v2. So there is something in v3 that pressreader doesn't like.

[...2 hours later...]

Ok, bug found. It's fixed in r60. Crash was caused by pressreader not creating/adding any menu and some new code introduced in r32 that does not check that.

Mackx, please take a look at https://bitbucket.org/inigoserna/dr8...t/164bee437d7b as pressreader wouldn't work in Mackx's hack either.

HansTWN, expect a new release with this fix and other features tomorrow.

Iņigo
Old 07-04-2011, 02:54 AM   #185
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Hi HansTWN,

I've been testing the newspaperdirect app (/usr/bin/pressreader) and DR800+.

Running pressreader reports some error messages on console about haven't been able to add menu items. This happens even with plain 2.0RC3 firmware.

With DR800+ v3, running pressreader makes popupmenu crash, but this doesn't happen with DR800+ v2. So there is something in v3 that pressreader doesn't like.

[...2 hours later...]

Ok, bug found. It's fixed in r60. Crash was caused by pressreader not creating/adding any menu and some new code introduced in r32 that does not check that.

Mackx, please take a look at https://bitbucket.org/inigoserna/dr8...t/164bee437d7b as pressreader wouldn't work in Mackx's hack either.

HansTWN, expect a new release with this fix and other features tomorrow.

Iņigo
Thanks for your hard work. Unfortunately I am having a problem with my reader, which suddenly doesn't recognize my expansions cards. I will try to reformat as FAT 16 and see if that works.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #186
Iņigo
Guru

New release: v4

New release posted in first message of the thread.

IMPORTANT:
- before installing or uninstalling DR800+ v4 be sure you have 5x the size of global.db of free space in your SD card. If not it could make your device unusable
- installation takes over 3 minutes in my DR800 with a 30 MB global.db 4000 books and 2000 covers. Uninstallation takes 5 minutes approximately

Changes v4:
* ctb, ermetadb
- books thumbnails are stored in file system instead of in global.db database, this makes database smaller and much faster browsing
- new "migrate-thumbs" tool to move thumbs from global.db to <sd_card>/System/.covers and vice versa
- settings icons are loaded from /usr/share/ctb/settings now
* popupmenu
- fixed bug: pressreader makes popupmenu crash
* general
- installer shows progress now

Enjoy,
Iņigo
Old 07-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #187
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
just installed and looking forward to faster browsing, thanks a lot for continuing to improve the device
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #188
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finally got my Irex up and running again and installed the new DR800+. It is a shame it is running so well and Inigo and Mackx are helping us to improve the device all the time. Now what excuse do we have to buy a new device? Besides, nothing on the market now even comes close. I wonder why nobody makes 8" devices? Seems like the perfect reader/notebook size to me. My only regret is that the DR800 doesn't have a Pearl screen.

Thanks again Inigo, the newspaperdirect app now works perfectly. I was just wondering, is there a way to prevent it from shutting down automatically when switching to another tab? That way it would be possible, for example, to take notes. Now the app loses its position when closing and it takes quite a while to start up. My guess is that that would be difficult because of memory constraints?

One question, why it is not possible to put programs (FBReader and XJournal come to mind) directly into shortcuts? Now we have to put the whole "Programs" directory into shortcuts.

Last edited by HansTWN; 07-07-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:52 AM   #189
jonathan_s
Enthusiast
jonathan_s began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wow, thank you. I'm so pleased to see people are still hacking the DR800. I just discovered DR800+, installed it and am pleased so far with the results.

Some exploratory questions, if I may.

1. What is the possibility of running ordinary Linux applications on the DR800. Starting with say xterm, to poke around inside while it is running.
2. Then what about easy-debian inside the DR800?
3. Then hacking the hardware to do USB hosting, so can plug in a USB keyboard, mouse, etc.
4. And (where I really want to be), running OpenOffice. I've run in on an Freerunner Neo, which I believe has about the same amount of computing power, and it was quite usable, if a little slow.

Or am I just being silly?

Thanks again, Jonathan
jonathan_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:05 AM   #190
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
some applications including a xterm can be found here
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Digi...e_applications

there are more applications that can be found by searching this forum (usbnet, vnc ....)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=126271&page=2
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81699

Last edited by fekhner; 07-08-2011 at 07:12 AM.
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #191
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
Finally got my Irex up and running again and installed the new DR800+. It is a shame it is running so well and Inigo and Mackx are helping us to improve the device all the time. Now what excuse do we have to buy a new device? Besides, nothing on the market now even comes close. I wonder why nobody makes 8" devices? Seems like the perfect reader/notebook size to me. My only regret is that the DR800 doesn't have a Pearl screen.
I fully agree. The DR is the best ereader.
My only wish would be to have a method to push some contents into the DR without pluging-in the usb cable...

Quote:
Thanks again Inigo, the newspaperdirect app now works perfectly. I was just wondering, is there a way to prevent it from shutting down automatically when switching to another tab? That way it would be possible, for example, to take notes. Now the app loses its position when closing and it takes quite a while to start up. My guess is that that would be difficult because of memory constraints?
We don't have pressreader sources so we can't do it. F.e. we could do the same with erbrowse or notepad applications, which closed themselves when switching to another task in DR800. Perhaps you could ask newspaperdirect creators...

Quote:
One question, why it is not possible to put programs (FBReader and XJournal come to mind) directly into shortcuts? Now we have to put the whole "Programs" directory into shortcuts.
Code doesn't allow. But it's very easy to change.
I'll include it in next version if DR800+.

Iņigo
Old 07-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #192
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
some applications including a xterm can be found here
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Digi...e_applications
it would be nice if someone could update this page

Last edited by Iņigo; 07-09-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #193
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan_s View Post
Wow, thank you. I'm so pleased to see people are still hacking the DR800. I just discovered DR800+, installed it and am pleased so far with the results.

Some exploratory questions, if I may.

1. What is the possibility of running ordinary Linux applications on the DR800. Starting with say xterm, to poke around inside while it is running.
apart from rxvt, take a look at usbnet, as Fehner has already mentioned.

Quote:
2. Then what about easy-debian inside the DR800?
what would be the benefits?

Quote:
3. Then hacking the hardware to do USB hosting, so can plug in a USB keyboard, mouse, etc.
this would be nice.

Quote:
4. And (where I really want to be), running OpenOffice. I've run in on an Freerunner Neo, which I believe has about the same amount of computing power, and it was quite usable, if a little slow.

Or am I just being silly?

Thanks again, Jonathan
no, not silly, but nowdays as my scarce free time I always ask myself about benefits vs. efforts.
Some time ago I ported osmo, a good and small calendar, tasks manager, address book and notes program. But now I do it on my (android) mobile phone, it's a bettter device for those tasks.

Iņigo
Old 07-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #194
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
I fully agree. The DR is the best ereader.
My only wish would be to have a method to push some contents into the DR without pluging-in the usb cable...

We don't have pressreader sources so we can't do it. F.e. we could do the same with erbrowse or notepad applications, which closed themselves when switching to another task in DR800. Perhaps you could ask newspaperdirect creators...

Code doesn't allow. But it's very easy to change.
I'll include it in next version if DR800+.

Iņigo
Count your blessings --- I am having trouble with the USB connection and quite often have to remove the SD card and load new content by sticking the SD card into my computer!

Right after I bought the Irex and started trying out newspaper direct I told them about this problem. They were not keen on fixing it then, and given the fact that Irex is dead I expect them to be even less interested now.

Being able to put direct links to programs like FBReader into the shortcuts section would be a great time saver.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #195
lacol
lacol began at the beginning.

Device: dr1000s (dead), dr800sg
Iņigo, you mention in the readme of dr800+ that you improved performance at some point by applying optimizations during compilation. Do you know if Irex applied the same optimizations in compiling the original rc3 firmware ?

In other words, would completely recompiling from source the 2.0-RC3 firmware result in a performance increase even when doing no modification to the source, but using the compiler optimizations mentionned in the readme of dr800+ ?

And by the way, how does one apply those optimization ? Is this something that should appear in the makefile ? I can't seem to find any trace of them in any configure.ac or makefile.am file in the source of your dr800+ package.
lacol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dr800+