Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Arrow AUS & NZ Residents (& other non-US residents) - Free Library Of Philadelphia Sign Up.

I know there are threads discussing the Free Library Of Philadelphia, but I just wanted to relay my experience in getting a membership there.

I live in Australia, and libraries over here either do not offer e-books or have a very limited collection on offer. I contacted the Free Library after I came across posts on here that said that non-US residents can become members. My first query about a couple of months ago went unanswered.

However, I was able to get the details of someone who worked at the help desk and emailed her directly. She was the best help that I could get. She followed up on my query, and told me that I could pay via International Money Order. When I asked at Australia Post for an International Money Order, they told me that they had stopped making them a while ago. So, I contacted the person again, and she told me that she will look into it and get back to me. And she did. She said that I can pay via credit card, but I will need to send her a filled out application form first. So, I filled out the form, scanned it, and emailed it to her. She was able to create my account and send me my log in details via email. I was able to log in, and the first message I received was that I had an outstanding fee of $15 for a library card. I was able to pay via credit card and now I have online access to the Free Library.

The point of this story? I know there are frustrated reader holds here in Australia and NZ (and other non-US residents) who are trying to find libraries to borrow from. Join the Free Library Of Philadelphia. They have a decent e-book collection and signing up was really a breeze.

I have asked my contact if there is a procedure that non-US residents can go through to sign up, other than everyone going through her, which could be a hassle. I will update once she gets back to me - INFO ADDED BELOW DOTTED LINE.

So, people in Aus & NZ (and other places in the world that isn't the US) do not despair

------------------------------------

She did reply my email and I'll just copy/paste what she said:

"As I don’t know all the procedures, I would advise people you know to print the form and mail it with a check or to use the “Ask a Librarian” link if they need to pay by credit card."

Hope this helps guys!

Last edited by Almas; 08-06-2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Adding more info.
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Is the $15 library card fee a 'one off' or an annual renewal? I am keen on this, especially given that I don't have access to a digital lending library (I'm in Tassie, we may be the first to have NBN rollout but quite pointless if there is nothing to access).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
The $15 is an annual fee - when I received my card it had an expiration date handwritten on it.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:37 AM   #4
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
I am definitely signing up, since 15 dollar is nothing compared to what I spend on books. ( Which is too much.)

But, I think I will wait until september. * MUCH* cheaper to send it from NY than Sweden. *coughcough*.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:25 AM   #5
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.

Wow! I'm going to be waiting with anticipation.

I spend way too much on books.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 07:17 AM   #6
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Oh, interesting. I'd be keen to see her response, I think I'll be checking this website out. Wondering if their staff would be flummoxed by a surge of interest from antipodeans though.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
As they use Overdrive for their delivery system, it will be interesting to see if the Overdrive Geographical restrictions applied to purchased books apply to library downloads also.

Please keep us updated.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Try this one to register for an account : Account
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
The library is probably appreciative of these extra fees--the city really cut back on what it was giving them, and threatening to close branches.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:31 PM   #10
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Is the $15 library card fee a 'one off' or an annual renewal? I am keen on this, especially given that I don't have access to a digital lending library (I'm in Tassie, we may be the first to have NBN rollout but quite pointless if there is nothing to access).
It's an annual fee
Old 08-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
Almas
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post

Wow! I'm going to be waiting with anticipation.

I spend way too much on books.

Cheers.
Me too! I was surprised that they took non-US residents. I had to provide all sorts of identification when I wanted to join my local library, and yet it was much easier to join one that was overseas!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #12
Almas
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
As they use Overdrive for their delivery system, it will be interesting to see if the Overdrive Geographical restrictions applied to purchased books apply to library downloads also.

Please keep us updated.
I've been able to download books that I haven't been able to buy because of geographical restrictions. The rules would be different for borrowed books because you can't really copy them and after the lending period expires, you can't view the book anymore. So you never really get to keep a copy.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #13
Almas
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
Oh, interesting. I'd be keen to see her response, I think I'll be checking this website out. Wondering if their staff would be flummoxed by a surge of interest from antipodeans though.
Maybe if there is a surge, it might get them into thinking about making out a special application system for overseas people!
Old 08-06-2010, 05:02 AM   #14
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
So, how does it work? It looks like most books are in ePub format with Adobe DRM, is that right? Do you download them through ADE, as you would for a purchased book?

I'm a little reluctant to try it, as I have my Opus set to read Mobi books. I do buy epubs but then I have to liberate and convert them. I don't feel guilty doing that for a book I bought, but for a library loan, I don't know...

Last edited by FlorenceArt; 08-06-2010 at 05:59 AM. Reason: typo!
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:58 AM   #15
Almas
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
So, how does it work? It looks like most books are in ePub format with Adobe DRM, is that right? Do you download them trhough ADE, as you would for a purchased book?
Yup, that's exactly right!

Tags
australia, free library, new zealand, non-us, philadelphia