Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 10:02 AM   #1
Purge
Enthusiast
Purge began at the beginning.

Device: None
ePub, Incorrect Page Numbers?

Hey there,

I've just got a PRS 300 and I've converted several books to ePub using Calibre.

They work fine - but the number of page reporting is way off. I have a book that is 170 pages when I view it from Calibre, but only 63 inside of the reader.

They will also go to the final page then allow me to read continually for several pages after.

Is something wrong with the reader, or the way I'm making books?

Thanks for any help.
Purge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Adobe Digital Editions when displaying ePubs (e.g. on your PRS-300) by default treats 1024 characters as a "page". This has the advantage of being independent of the screen and font size. It is possible for an ePub to include explicit page numbers, but currently this can only be done in a ADE-specific way. This could be used to map pages from a physical book to an ePub (to allow an existing index to work for example). Once again, these pages are independent of the screen and font size.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
Purge
Enthusiast

If that's so, then how do I make it so my files accurately report the page number I'm on?

I downloaded the Sherlock Holmes Omnibus from this website and it reports its page numbers perfectly. All 1572. Yet on this much smaller book I have it has me pressing the page turn button 5 times before the page number moves. Surely that's not right?
Old 11-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purge View Post
I downloaded the Sherlock Holmes Omnibus from this website and it reports its page numbers perfectly. All 1572.
Was this a LRF ebook? I think these do use the actual current page as an indicator. If you refer this approach, then convert your DRM-free ebooks from ePub to LRF using Calibre.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
Purge
Enthusiast

Nope, it's an ePub.

LRF fixed the problem though, so I suppose until I figure out what I'm doing wrong that'll work for me!

Thanks for your help!

As a final question, are there any reasons I should try to use ePub over LRF?

Thanks.
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Purge--
The "page numbers" on ePubs don't refer to the number of screen changes as the LRFs do. They refer to specific locations in the document. (That's what Wallcraft is referring to.) No matter what size of text you choose, the "page numbers" of ePub files will stay the same. If you're using a large font, it could well take four or five "page turns" on an ePub document for the page to change. A lot of the ePub books I read require two to three page turns before the page number changes--even on the small font.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Purge--
The "page numbers" on ePubs don't refer to the number of screen changes as the LRFs do. They refer to specific locations in the document. (That's what Wallcraft is referring to.) No matter what size of text you choose, the "page numbers" of ePub files will stay the same. If you're using a large font, it could well take four or five "page turns" on an ePub document for the page to change. A lot of the ePub books I read require two to three page turns before the page number changes--even on the small font.
Which is an advantage if you're discussing the book with someone - 'go to page whatever' only makes sense if all the books are paginated the same way.

And the book doesn't get actually get longer when you change the font size, as it appears to in LRF.

But tastes differ - if you really want to know how many times you have to push the button to get to the end, stick with LRF.

You aren't doing anything 'wrong' - it's just a difference in the way the different formats handle pagination.

As to ePub vs. Lrf for you - lrf is a dying format, it's doubtful than even the next gen of Sony's will support it, but as long as you can convert, you shouldn't have any problem.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote