Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-04-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
Siorghlas
Siorghlas began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Thinnest reader yet?

A chinese company operating at Shenzen has created what appears to be the thinnest e-ink reader yet. Specs seem similar to many existing devices. Don't know when or if it will get West.

Link for more info

Greets,
Síorghlas
Siorghlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Thanks for the spot Siorghlas! Looks interesting.
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Looks interesting indeed... though I would almost say that there is a point on how thing it can be before it becomes a burden to hold in your hand comfortably
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
hodad66
Beachside Member
hodad66 doesn't litterhodad66 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
thanks for the link....
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Looks interesting indeed... though I would almost say that there is a point on how thing it can be before it becomes a burden to hold in your hand comfortably
I'm more concerned about how thin it can be before being too thin to provide much protection from bending and cracking the screen.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
The plastic logic prototype was thinner. I haven't seen an exact measurement on the Que, so we will have to see.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I'm not sure thiness is that important (maybe I should say super-thiness) to me. As much as I love my K2, the K1 was more comfortable to hold. I guess I like a little meat on my ebook readers.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I'm more concerned about how thin it can be before being too thin to provide much protection from bending and cracking the screen.
True... then again there are all the stories out there about the flexible e-screens in devopment
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
The same company seems to sell a very nice looking 9.7 inch reader. Has anyone tried out / bought a reader from this company? Their readers look very impressive, could anyone point me to some reviews of their items?
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Thin indeed. Too thin in fact.. I'm almost afraid I'll accidentally fold it in half.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
too thin

I have to agree ther ewill be a point that it becomes too thin. I think its like those super small cell phones they had a few years ago, then they got a big larger and seem to have stablized in size and width more or less. I imagine they can be manufactured smaller but at a certain point buttons become too small to be useful.

So I imagine that there will be a point at which you can't go any thinner with screens before it becomes a hinderance to a person using them.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #12
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Much less of a concern if it's a plastic substrate rather than glass...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #13
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
I have to agree ther ewill be a point that it becomes too thin. I think its like those super small cell phones they had a few years ago, then they got a big larger and seem to have stablized in size and width more or less. I imagine they can be manufactured smaller but at a certain point buttons become too small to be useful.

So I imagine that there will be a point at which you can't go any thinner with screens before it becomes a hinderance to a person using them.
The thinness of a reader is much less of an issue than the size of a phone, as long its still comfortable to hold and the design isn't too flexible then the thickness isn't an issue.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #14
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
That is such a cool little device. We might start seeing the uber cheap ebook products coming out of China. As they produce all of the ebook readers they learn the processes and create generic no name brands.

Same thing happened with DVD players, after a few years you could get a no name DVD player for $20 that offered MORE functionality (could play DVI, DVD, MPEG and more) than the $100 Sony model.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:13 PM   #15
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I'm not sure thiness is that important (maybe I should say super-thiness) to me. As much as I love my K2, the K1 was more comfortable to hold. I guess I like a little meat on my ebook readers.
Same here. I prefer my thicker K1 over my wife's K2.

I also find my Cybook Gen3 too thin for comfortable use unless it is in its cover.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote