Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2008, 08:37 AM   #1
Tracey
Connoisseur
Tracey is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Waterstones AND Sony Library?

Good afternoon everyone, Please accept my apologies if this question exists but i have not been able to find it in the forums. I purchased my Sony 505 last weekend and have installed the library software and used Waterstones. I now have a Sony eBookstore Gift Card but it appears i need to register to use this and, when i try to download the software, it advises i already have a later version which, of course, takes me to Waterstones... Any advise would be gratefully received! Many thanks,Tracey.
Tracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Sounds like you have installed the UK software? if this is the case then:

You would have to un-install the UK version and load the US version in order to use the giftcards, as they are only valid in the US..................I think that's right
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
Tracey
Connoisseur

Thanks for your reply babyd. Yes, it is the UK version. You are quite correct to say that these cards are from the US but i checked with the seller before buying and they work worldwide as there is no need for a US credit card. I guess that those that have used them successfully from the UK may just have downloaded the US software only.

Just a thought, i have a second laptop; if i were to load the US version of the software onto that would it work or is that going to cause problems when i register the Reader on the US version?
Old 10-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey View Post
Just a thought, i have a second laptop; if i were to load the US version of the software onto that would it work or is that going to cause problems when i register the Reader on the US version?
NO, It shouldnt be a problem. I also think you have to us a US address even if you are using Gift Cards. I have bought gift cards for several people here but not 110% sure what they did one thier end.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have purchased Sony giftcards for people not in the USA and it worked fine for purchasing from the eBookstore.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The gift cards work fine world-wide for purchases from the *USA* eBook store, not the UK one.

It's like buying a Waterstones gift card and expecting it to be valid at HMV.

Paul

Quote:
Thanks for your reply babyd. Yes, it is the UK version. You are quite correct to say that these cards are from the US but i checked with the seller before buying and they work worldwide as there is no need for a US credit card. I guess that those that have used them successfully from the UK may just have downloaded the US software only.

pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:28 AM   #7
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman
GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The gift cards work fine world-wide for purchases from the *USA* eBook store, not the UK one.

It's like buying a Waterstones gift card and expecting it to be valid at HMV.

Paul
No, I'd say it's more like buying a Borders gift card in the USA and expecting it to work at Borders in the UK.

I say this because Sony own Waterstones' stock of readers and are only using Waterstones as a well-placed store front and part of that agreement means that there is no Sony online store in the UK, buyers MUST use the Waterstones online store to purchse from Sony so I rekon they should honour the Sony gift cards.

And, by the way, I'd expect a Borders US gift card to work in the UK although as far as I know it isn't possible.

Cheers,
Terry.
GingerTez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #8
Bokkie
Enthusiast
Bokkie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
The Waterstones ebook listings are not that comprehensive. I bought my first two books from a US website as Waterstones were way behind in both categories and choice.
Bokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
Tracey
Connoisseur

Thanks very much to all of you that have made suggestions and provided feedback. I have now loaded the software for the US Sony eBook Store on my other laptop and successfully downloaded and installed a book. For anyone who may be interested, i was able to create the account without filling in the credit card section and then just added the number and PIN code of the gift card. It was then a case of authorising my PRS-505 and choosing what i wanted to buy.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:26 PM   #10
Bokkie
Enthusiast
Bokkie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
...i was able to create the account without filling in the credit card section and then just added the number and PIN code of the gift card...
In this day and age of internet fraud I stay away from any site that wants my credit card until I'm ready to buy something. Check for the security padlock on the site you're visiting to ensure encryption is enabled.
Bokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #11
Tracey
Connoisseur

I quite understand your point, Bokkie, but the reason i mentioned it was because you cannot use credit cards that are not issued in the US (or Canada, i believe) on the US Sony site; I wanted to clarify that this section could be by-passed if required.

Paul's reply in the thread earlier was correct in so far as the Sony Gift Cards can be redeemed worldwide BUT only if you have the US version of the software loaded. I wasn't expecting to use the Gift Card at Waterstones; i simply wanted to find a way to use both sites. I can imagine that there were never any issues until the PRS-505 was released in the UK with the eBook Library directing us to Waterstones.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #12
Smoutie
Smoutie began at the beginning.

Does anyone know if it's possible to have the UK and the US versions installed in parallel? I already have the UK version - I wouldn't mind having the US version instead if I could transfer my existing purchased books into the US version - would that work do you think? Thanks!
Smoutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:37 AM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoutie View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to have the UK and the US versions installed in parallel? I already have the UK version - I wouldn't mind having the US version instead if I could transfer my existing purchased books into the US version - would that work do you think? Thanks!
US Version of what? Sony eLibrary? IF so, then yes, I don't see any reason why you would even need the UK version if you had the US version installed.

BOB
Old 11-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #14
Smoutie
Smoutie began at the beginning.

If I were to uninstall my UK library and install the US version, could I then use the gift token method? And what would happen to the books which are already downloaded and sitting in my UK version - could they just be imported from the underlying Digital Editions folder on my C drive? Thanks!
Smoutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoutie View Post
If I were to uninstall my UK library and install the US version, could I then use the gift token method? And what would happen to the books which are already downloaded and sitting in my UK version - could they just be imported from the underlying Digital Editions folder on my C drive? Thanks!
Yes. Your current books should just show up, I assume both products use the same path. If not, you should just be able to add them back in, yes.

BOb