Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-29-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
ezequielv
ezequielv began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505SC, Palm T|X
Firmware update from Linux?

Hello. I'm considering buying a Sony PRS505, and I wondered if it was possible to do a firmware update from Linux.

Ideally, I'd like to achieve it in one of the following ways (in decreasing order of preference): Linux native, SD card, wine, virtual machine running Windows XP.

Any ideas?
ezequielv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
The only way to run a firmware update is via the Sony Reader software, which only exists on the Windows platform.

As a Mac user, I've been tempted to run it in a VMWare virtual machine, but I've been warned that it wouldn't work for firmware updates (it would brick the device). It works well enough for normal use, though I don't use it (I'm a Calibre user).

So, unfortunately, I guess you'll be forced to dirty your hands on a real, plastic and metal Windows PC

Cheers,
David.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
ezequielv

David,

Thank you for your reply... I suspected as much. It's such a pity that companies just "take" what the FOSS movement has to offer, then they happily ignore the ideas behind it -- they'd just support the Windows OS, even though there's probably no technical reason *not* to develop a (firmware update) protocol on top of a standard, leaving out the non-targetted 'consumer' platforms of *their* choice. It shouldn't be too hard to do: I understand other readers do it (for example, upgrading from a file in the SD card, etc.).
Old 06-29-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Well, I agree with you... It ain't very useful, but at least it's good to say it
Old 06-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
Who are you?
Groupie
Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 505
In the dev subforum you can find Universal Flasher, use it to flash from SD card.
Who are you? is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
ezequielv

"Who are you?": Thank you for the tip. That's exactly what I wanted (failing having a "native" program to run form my Linux box): flexible, easy (for a developer) to change, and (supposedly) working! :-)
Old 07-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #7
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

I wasn't aware that the Universal Flasher (also used by PRSCustomizer) could be used for flashing the complete firmware, but only the part of the firmware that is accessible (configuration and script files, ...) and is modified by PRSCustomizer ...

Let me know if it works, and maybe if you find the time please detail the procedure, so that other can apply it too.

Mac users will be very interested, too...

Cheers,
David.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
Let me know if it works, and maybe if you find the time please detail the procedure, so that other can apply it too.
Well, the general idea is here...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

Well, thanks Gwin ! I'll try that when I'll have to reflash...

Tags
firmware update linux