Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2009, 05:19 AM   #1
techie_007
Enthusiast
techie_007 is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Question What library management software/sync software to use with 505? (No DRM files)

Ok, so my reader will be here in a few days. I was just planning to get a head start on preparing myself for it

I have a lot of files/public domain books lying around in various formats on my system. Most are pdf I think, but I have been reading that even with reflow, pdf support isnt that good a reading experience.

1. Anyway, so whats the best format to read a book in? Text only. No pics. No DRM. Looking for the best looking/fastest responding format.

2. I guess it will come with the latest firmware, so for now no requirements to upgrade firmware. Is the sony software that good or even required?
Have been reading about something called 'calibre'. Should I use only that instead to transfer stuff over to the reader?

3. I have lots of files lying all over the place in separate folders etc. What would be a good library management software to sort/catalog all these files?

Looking forward to replies You guys rock.
techie_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:21 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Best format to use is Sony's LRF format. Easy to produce that with either Calibre or Book Designer, both of which are free. Use Calibre for "automatic" conversion, BD if you want to do a bit of editing or cleaning up along the way.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 07:14 AM   #3
techie_007
Enthusiast
techie_007 is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Best format to use is Sony's LRF format. Easy to produce that with either Calibre or Book Designer, both of which are free. Use Calibre for "automatic" conversion, BD if you want to do a bit of editing or cleaning up along the way.
Thanks

So fastest response time etc will be sonys own LRF format? cool.

Also I assume I can use Calibre itself to sync n stuff?

What about library management/cataloging software?
techie_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie_007 View Post
EPUB is usually faster. If you have a really long book, then it's a bit slower. But both are fast enough that I don't care which one I use.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie_007 View Post
Thanks

Also I assume I can use Calibre itself to sync n stuff?

What about library management/cataloging software?
You can use Calibre for library management, a lot of people like it for that.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert