Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-14-2009, 06:52 AM   #1
kren
Connoisseur
kren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enough

Device: iPod Touch ipad
Cybook Gen3/Mac OSx

Hi I have just bought a Bookeen Cybook Gen3 which I can use on my Mac ok I can drag and drop files of the various compatible formats but when I try to eject it returns within seconds and if you disconnect on a mac without ejecting there is a chance of loosing stored data anyone out there can help I would appreciate it
Keith
kren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
If you ejected it successfully (even for only a few seconds), doesn't that mean that there is no more reading/writing to the cybook going on?
In that case you should be able to disconnect without losing data or corrupting the device.
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
I have used my Cybook succesfully with my Macbook for the last 9 months without any problem. My Cybook was never connected to a PC. I occasionnaly connect the Cybook on the Mac itself, but mostly I connect only the SD card with a card reader. All my books are on my SD card anyway.

The important thing to remember is when you delete stuff from either the card or the cybook itself, you have to empty the waste basket before you eject the card / cybook otherwise you will not really delete what you want.

Regards,

Georges
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
If you have an SD card installed the MAC should see both the Cybook & the SD card. You can eject the SD card without ejecting the Cybook.

Make sure you eject both & it should stay un-mounted. (Usually though not always, ejecting the Cybook will also eject the SD card, however the reverse is not true)
Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by khlong9 View Post
Hi I have just bought a Bookeen Cybook Gen3 which I can use on my Mac ok I can drag and drop files of the various compatible formats but when I try to eject it returns within seconds and if you disconnect on a mac without ejecting there is a chance of loosing stored data anyone out there can help I would appreciate it
Keith
I recall someone else having this issue too. I think the answer was to use the DiskUtility to unmount the drive. (But, I am old so things fall out of my brain.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2009, 01:57 AM   #6
kren
Connoisseur
kren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enough

Cybook Gen3/Mac OSx

thanks for your suggestions guy's but it still won't have it one thing I have just noticed it is not showing in the finder sidebar but it is showing on the desktop and again not on the sidebar desktop folder it appears in my home folder this is weard I've tried a reboot I don't know if a card will show because I do not have yet
Old 01-15-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I had this problem once and it turned out to be a corrupted font file. The Finder tries to show the font in the icon and it appeared to hang on the corrupted font file. When I looked at the "fonts" directory they all showed the font in the icon except the one. When I tried to "Get Info" on that file it gave an error. I deleted that font set and it's worked fine since.

btw You might have to restart and run the Disk Utility repair on both volumes first.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:56 AM   #8
kren
Connoisseur

Cybook Gen3/Mac OSx

Hi the font corruption does not appear to be my problem I have added a memory card now but that won't eject either when I just pull the plug there doesn't look to be any loss of data but could that manifest itself later? perhaps I am being a little pedantic
I've also run the Disk Utility repair on both volumes as you suggested
Old 03-23-2009, 04:12 AM   #9
hardcat
hardcat began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook
Hi khlong9,

I too am a Mac user and have recently purchased a CyBook. I believe the best way to get the most from your CyBook is to accept it works best on a PC. I therefore connect my CyBook to my Mac and interact with it using VMware Fusion ( https://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/ ). Use this approach and you'll have full functionality using Mobi applications etc.

hardcat
hardcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcat View Post
Hi khlong9,

I too am a Mac user and have recently purchased a CyBook. I believe the best way to get the most from your CyBook is to accept it works best on a PC. I therefore connect my CyBook to my Mac and interact with it using VMware Fusion ( https://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/ ). Use this approach and you'll have full functionality using Mobi applications etc.

hardcat
I have been a Cybook owner for a little over a year. My Cybook has never been connected on a PC, always on my Macbook (Leopard 10.5.6). I never had any problem that would make me want to go back to the PC side of my Macbook which I have not used in about 9 months... I have about 100 mobipockets and a few PDF ont my SD card and everything seem to be working fine, other than a few corrupted files once in a while.

Long live Uncle Steve! and long live the Cybook!

Regards,

Georges
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #11
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
I have a similar problem with my Archos on my mac although not my Cybook funnily enough. My strategy is to turn the mac off before unplugging the Archos - so far no self-destruction.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #12
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
It's a known bug from bookeen, I contacted them about this a few weeks ago.

But they says me that they actually didn't know if it's a Gen3 bug or an Apple bug, and it occur only with newer one with firmware > 800.

They actually don't own macintoshes and can't do a lot of test with, but they says to me that they work on this, so except this to be fixed in a near future. Anyway don't hesitate to contact them if you have any question/bugs they didn't have time to crawl all the web and even if they are aware of this forum, they don't have enough time to search for bugs/problems with gen3 if they aren't reported.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #13
groumpf
Enthusiast
groumpf began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
But they says me that they actually didn't know if it's a Gen3 bug or an Apple bug, and it occur only with newer one with firmware > 800.

They actually don't own macintoshes and can't do a lot of test with, but they
I had this problem too with 832 firmware and 10.5. I had just a second to unplug the USB before the SD card mount again.

Now I cannot mount anymore the CyBook on 10.6 ...

But if Bookeen doesn't have any Mac, that explains such bugs (my other USB devices work well).
groumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #14
KernelPanic
KernelPanic will become famous soon enoughKernelPanic will become famous soon enoughKernelPanic will become famous soon enoughKernelPanic will become famous soon enoughKernelPanic will become famous soon enoughKernelPanic will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Kindle DX
I see that issue here with my Cybook (400MHz, 832 Firmware), too. Occured on both 10.5 and 10.6.
My solution was to use the device with VMWare/Windows XP and Calibre. No problems since.

Last edited by KernelPanic; 10-17-2009 at 10:26 AM.
KernelPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #15
groumpf
Enthusiast
groumpf began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KernelPanic View Post
I see that issue here with my Cybook (400MHz, 832 Firmware), too. Occured on both 10.5 and 10.6.
My solution was to use the device with VMWare/Windows XP and Calibre. No problems since.
yes maybe, but I'm not very hurry to go on Windows, and I don't have Windows. It's enough to have it at work

Actually I extract the SD and put it in my Pentax camera ! (I should buy a SD dock ...)

It's somewhat strange that Bookeen cannot make such USB device that is not much complex than a camera. So why all cameras work and not the CyBook ? It's a mystery.
groumpf is offline   Reply With Quote