Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
Albert Hart
Albert Hart began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and CreateSpace Publishing
Adding page numbers to Table of Contents in PDF output

I am trying to use Calibre to convert a Kindle eBook I have published to a print book.

I cannot get Calibre to add page numbers to the table of contents - either the one already stored in the ePub format, or the one Calibre generates.

What am I missing?
Albert Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Hart View Post
I am trying to use Calibre to convert a Kindle eBook I have published to a print book.

I cannot get Calibre to add page numbers to the table of contents - either the one already stored in the ePub format, or the one Calibre generates.

What am I missing?
EPUB has no page, therefore: No Page Numbers

(x)HTML, the core of EPUB uses anchors . Yes you could make the Anchor id="P234" (the old Print number. and The Link is the TOC title entry (no visible page number
section eg Map You simply click on 'Map'

Code:
<h2 id="toc">CONTENTS</h2>
  <p class="contentsHead"><a href="../Text/Map.html#P234">Map</a></p>
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Hart View Post

What am I missing?
@Albert Hart - what did the author use to 'write' the book, most use a WP or DTP tool.

If you go back to that format (e.g. MS Word .doc(x), OOo Writer .odt, Quark .qxd/p etc) you can paginate and layout as you want it to appear on paper, as well as create TOC's etc, then export in a form suitable for the book printer. The book printers I've used have always wanted postscript or PDF.

If all you have is the MOBI/AZW then:

If its a simple text (as in a novel), then maybe the simplest thing would be convert to RTF and then use a Word Processor.

However, if its complex, i.e. lots of pictures, tables, graphics etc, then you could possibly use a PDF Editor like Acrobat or Nitro to do the pagination and TOC creation etc.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-02-2013 at 11:26 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
Albert Hart

I create the .HTM files myself - extracting them from a Wiki, and zipping them into an EPUB. There are no page numbers in the EPUB. But when I convert to PDF using calibre, it cleverly adds pages and page numbers in the Footer, (snce I use _PAGENUM_).

Calaber also creates a table of contents from my <h1> and <h2> paragraphs. So my question, (since Calibre generates the pages and page numbers itself), is can Calibre also put page numbers into the Table of Context?

Last edited by Albert Hart; 05-02-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not create a table of contents inside the document it creates a metadata table of contents, in PDF lingo what is called an Outline, that outline automatically has page numbers, but whether they are displayed or not, depends on the PDF viewer.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 05-03-2013 at 12:20 AM.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 01:18 AM   #6
Albert Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre does not create a table of contents inside the document it creates a metadata table of contents, in PDF lingo what is called an Outline, that outline automatically has page numbers, but whether they are displayed or not, depends on the PDF viewer.
Apparently they are not displayed by Adobe Reader X.

If you have a minute, create a PDF from the Quick Start Guide, included with Calibre, force ti to create a Table of contents, and see if you can find a reader which can show the page numbers.

I am trying to solve the problem of how to convert my Kindle book (which I created in EPUB) to a format which will work well for a printed copy using Amazon's company - CreateSpace. Everything is working great - except the table of contents.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:29 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Outlines are not displayed when printing. If you want a printable table of contents, you have to create it by hand, and merge it into the PDF produced by calibre. I suppose I could add a feature to the PDF output to generate a printable ToC, but, that's a fair but of work and if I do that, then people will want ways to customize the appearance of the ToC and I dont want to open that can of worms.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
Albert Hart

Page numbers wowuld have been handy - especially for a Reference Manual like this.

I would up adding Chapter number and section number to each section, and putting in in the section names in the footer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toc1.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	105316   Click image for larger version

Name:	footer.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	105317