Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #76
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm thinking Jony Ive spent way too much time on iOS 7 and not enough on the iPhones. The 5S in particular looks like a project that was thrown together at the very last minute. It's not as bad as the "look it now comes in white" crap they pulled a few years ago, but close.
Hyperbolic nonsense.
Quote:
As far as the 64-bit processor, I can't help but think it will be a long time before developers take advantage of it. I've been running 64-bit computers (PC and Mac) for at least 5 years and some of my apps are just now being released in 64-bit versions and many are still in 32-bit versions only.
If Apple is designing its own ARM chips with desktop-class 64-bit architecture, it may mean they intend to put them in their computers someday.
Quote:
The fingerprint thing is old school. My Motorola Atrix 4G had it 3 years ago. It seldom worked though, so perhaps Apple has done better at implementing it.
Sure, the same way touchscreen phones were old school before the iPhone.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #77
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Yeah, I'll post my thoughts too. They won't be as nice as holymadness's, but yeah... I need to get my brain working as I gotta go type up some iPad case reviews I promised a client after this.

People seem to be really overwhelmed with tech news right now (or at least I am!). You have people that are angry over the Motorola X being mid-ranged, you have the guys who are upset over Nokia being bought out by Microsoft and never getting to see an Android in a Lumia shell, and then you have the guys being so judgmental over a gold iPhone and how it cheapens the brand.

And they also seem to forget that Apple is a computer company. They don't focus on just computers anymore, but they still primarily profit from both the software and hardware that they've been known for since the 80's. The day they stop being good at both of those things, is the day they go bankrupt.

They don't have 50 models of toasters, refrigerators, washing machines, and dish washers like Samsung and LG do. They both could completely exit the mobile industry without much of a hit. Which is why they can price their phones at different price points to satisfy customer demand.

Apple can't do that. They do that, and then there goes the Genius Bar, there goes iTunes U, and then the iTunes Festival. And if you don't think they are budgeting their money, then where the heck did iDisk go considering it had been around since 2000.

And I'll say it again, even though people won't like it... Having a smartphone is a privilege. They have always come with the extra price tag, and they are meant for people who want to do more than just talk and text. When the first ones came out, and then eventually the first iPhone, they were good for jotting down notes, keeping a calendar, using Google, and recording memos. They were never meant for the general public to scrap up and use Facebook 24/7 and play Candy Crush Saga.

The general public cheapened the smartphone. When feature phones started coming out with instant messaging and Facebook, the public just turned a blind eye and said they didn't want it anymore. Now people are so upset because the monthly rates for their bills are either still the same or going higher. I have a neighbor who gave all thee of her kids (10-13 years olds) iPhones and she complains about not being able to pay for their AT&T bill every month.

And now people are complaining about the 5C being too expensive... Look, you either pay the price for having a nice smartphone, or you don't get one at all. They're not cheating you out on anything. It's a iPhone 5 in a new shell, with a few newer specs, and you can get it on a $99 contract. If you don't want it, then you have the choice of not buying it to begin with.

The new 5S is nice though. I have shaky hands, so I'll benefit from the multiple shots. Right now I have all my passwords in my notes app, so not having to copy and paste them everytime I need my Apple ID password among others, are going to be beneficial with the Touch ID. I never did have a problem with my Dell Latitude XT when it had one. The only issue was that there was not enough light coming from the screen to the sensor, so it wasn't usable in the dark.

The extra processing power is going to be beneficial in iMovie. One reason I don't use it enough IS because when it came out for the iPhone 4, it took ages for it to render a 10 minute video out. The little things here and there that this makes better are going to be great.

I'm getting the 64GB in gold on contract in October and buying some of the covers. I cannot wait. Maybe get some AppleCare+ this time around too.

Will keep my 520 as a backup for Xbox Live stuff, and just because it's the only Nokia phone I've ever had and will be one of their last branded devices most likely.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #78
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
There is a good reason people forget Apple is still a "computer" company. In the latest quarterly reporting only 14% of their revenue came from Macs & MacBooks (see chart in http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57595054-37/apple-earnings-beat-with-$35.3-billion-in-sales-31.2m-iphones/ ).

51% of their revenue came from iPhones. This is now their meat and potatoes. I happen to agree they can grow their PC sales further (having recently bought my first MBA). But all of OSX is still in the not-a-big-deal part of their revenue compared to the phones, iPads, and iTunes revenue (80% of total revenue last quarter!).

The 5C is too expensive because it is only $100 less than the 5S. They'll get some sales to people who buy things based on their color but most buyers are being herded directly at the 5S. It might be a smart move. In the past the difference between new-and-old models was not so visual. It definitely is smart for holding margins but I worry they are losing market share that a $350 unsubsidized phone would capture.

And as I noted above, iPhone revenue is what Apple is mostly about these days.

Last edited by Penforhire; 09-11-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #79
jswinden
Nameless Being

I don't recall Apple ever suggesting, much less stating, that they intended to release a "cheap" iPhone. I'm pretty sure the idea of a cheap iPhone was due to all the speculation from tech sites that obviously didn't have a clue. Apple NEVER offers anything "cheap" to consumers. Now the media and social media are all enraged as if Apple broke a promise. WTF! I personally think the 5C was a bad move on Apple's part, but it was NEVER meant to be a cheap iPhone. Had they chosen to keep the iPhone 5 rather than introduce the 5C, the 5 would have dropped to the 5C's price.

In the USA market the 5C makes sense in that it costs half as much as the 5S when bought from a subsidized phone service provider. Or does it? The 5C will cost $99 and the 5S $199. But that is an illusion only. Those who buy that way will pay the whole price as though they bought it unlocked. It will take them two years, but the service provider will get the whole amount from their customers a little bit a month. Outside the USA I understand there are few subsidies, so then the 5C at only $100 less than the 5S will not seem like such a good deal. But like Jessica said, if you can afford an iPhone buy it, if not too bad. But here is the thing, I see a lot of iPhones in the hands of a lot of lesser income people, so they are somehow managing to buy them whether the analysts think they can afford them or not. iPhones sale, period.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-11-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #80
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
I'm still waiting for them to release a phone with the capacity to truly replace an ipod classic...and at a reasonable price point. Has memory capacity/dollar really remained static for the past several years? I've got an 80GB Zune (which is full) that I still use for trips, but I keep eyeing the 160GB ipod classic and thinking that for the price difference between a 16GB and 64GB iphone I can have the capacity that I really want. I just have to carry another device. Darn Apple and their push to get everyone on the cloud, like it or not!
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2013, 04:46 AM   #81
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
-I don't recall Apple ever suggesting, much less stating, that they intended to release a "cheap" iPhone.-
opinions and rumors and wars hard to "dispel"
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #82
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I personally think the 5C was a bad move on Apple's part, but it was NEVER meant to be a cheap iPhone. Had they chosen to keep the iPhone 5 rather than introduce the 5C, the 5 would have dropped to the 5C's price.
This is pretty much my only gripe with the iPhone 5C, too. I wish Apple had just kept the iPhone 5 similar to what they've done in previous years but I can see why they would want to make a more apparent distinction between their "mid-range" and high end models, not to mention increase profit margins by lowering manufacturing costs.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #83
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Seriously though, $550 for the unlocked iPhone 5c? Does the chassis really cost Apple that much that they couldn't just bump the iPhone 5 to mid-range? Heck, an unlocked iPhone 4S costs more than a brand-new Nexus.
At first I thought this said "an unlocked iPhone 4S costs more than a brand-new Lexus."

It would be nice if the fingerprint scanner was set up so that children couldn't make in-app purchases when they play with your phone.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #84
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post

It would be nice if the fingerprint scanner was set up so that children couldn't make in-app purchases when they play with your phone.
It can. You can set it up so that their fingerprints unlock the phone but don't authorize purchases.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #85
jswinden
Nameless Being

T-Mobile announced their pricing, as follows:

5C = $528. You can get it for $0 down and $22/mo for 24 months.

5S = $648.84. You can get it for $99 down and $22.91/mo for 24 months.

BTW, several months ago I got my iPhone 5 from T-Mobile for $99 down and $20/mo for 24 months, which equals $579. I had to pay the total sales tax up front as well and that was another $46.40. The T-Mobile phone payment and monthly service is considerably less than AT&T and Verizon plans, and I got unlimited everything. Plus no more dropped calls since switching from AT&T.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-12-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #86
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Not surprising the stock has taken a hit.
Unrelated. The stock market has always loved Apple for being a "buy on anticipation of new product, sell after keynote/launch" stock. Apples stock always rise before and drop after a keynote. But for some reason this is always "news" in the media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I'm wondering if the holes are to allow the phone to cool?

Graham
Unlikely. Plastic is a very bad heat conductor and the holes are too deep for proper convection anyway.

Last edited by David Munch; 09-12-2013 at 03:08 PM.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:16 AM   #87
m00min
Connoisseur
m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad / NST / Kobo
I'm disappointed and confused by the 5c. It looks cheap but is expensive, not a good combination. I can't work out who it's even aimed at; teenagers? Not at £459 it isn't. The price is too near the 5s and whilst I'm sure that's intentional it smacks of short-termism.

Yes, Apple can charge whatever they want for their devices but it can't be ignored that Android is pulling ahead. Apple have the best apps at the moment and that counts for a lot but how long will that last if they end up with 5-10% market share? I'd never expected to see them offer a phone to compete with bargain bin Android phones but a mid range one is sorely needed. You can buy a Samsung S4 Mini* for less than £350. If they want to stop their market share from sliding they need to appeal to people who aren't necessarily already embedded in the iOS ecosphere. If I wasn't so tied to certain apps and therefore biased towards picking an iPhone I know which way I'd jump.

*comparing like with like in terms of screen size
m00min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:23 AM   #88
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I find the white 5C quite attractive but dont like the other colours (or is there a black/grey?) I'm 63 years old FFS, I dont want candy colours. Anyway, its priced out of my range. Guess I'll wait and see what comes with the iPhone 6 in 2014 (and start saving now... i always buy outright)
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #89
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00min View Post
You can buy a Samsung S4 Mini* for less than £350.
*comparing like with like in terms of screen size
Interesting that the S4 mini and the HTC mini are actually larger than the iphone. Shows you how things have changed, 3 years ago 4.3" was unusually large, now it's considered mini.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #90
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Interesting that the S4 mini and the HTC mini are actually larger than the iphone. Shows you how things have changed, 3 years ago 4.3" was unusually large, now it's considered mini.
I guess you get what you pay for. With the iPhone 5C you get the latest iOS 7 and it will probably be upgradeable through iOS 9. With Android phones you typically get less than the latest Android release and you typically don't get major OS upgrades. True, you can jailbreak, but the vast majority of phone owners won't know that much less how to jailbreak. With iPhones Apple controls the upgrades to iOS regardless of the carrier. With Android you are pretty much at the mercy of the carrier. With iPhones Apple doesn't allow carriers to place a lot of junk apps on them. With Android the phones come loaded with junk apps from the carrier, many of which are difficult to delete w/o jailbreaking.