Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-12-2013, 04:43 AM   #1
thgie
thgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Open Ports on PW

Hello dear mobileread forum members

With delight I found about jailbreaking my kindle yesterday - said, done.

The very first thing I'm interested in is running node.js on the little gem. Works like a charm with the crosscompiled binary found in the image here: https://gist.github.com/rvagg/5095506 (direct link: http://js.vagg.org/noodle.img.gz).

Now, to really have fun with node.js I need to start up a server. But now I have a problem with the ports. I can't write to iptables because it's write protected. I tried to vi it with the kterm app. How can I change files and folders permissions?

Yours

a
thgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:01 AM   #2
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

type "mntroot rw" in kterm, it should remount the filesystem as read-write. "mntroot ro" to set it back to how it was after you're done.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
iptables is a transitory in-memory table.

you can "I" insert a rule that will remain active till the next time you power cycle

iptables -I INPUT -m state --state NEW -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT

(something like that)

Alternatively use something like BBB via kual and add some custom rules to it's defaults. That would be editable without special permissions (being a text file that lives on the FAT partition)

Quite a few options.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
thgie
thgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheese

Thanks you two, both worked like a charm. Although the iptables code I wasn't sure about if it was yours or another one that work. I will use BBB for future use. Simpler.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thgie View Post
Thanks you two, both worked like a charm. Although the iptables code I wasn't sure about if it was yours or another one that work. I will use BBB for future use. Simpler.
Just choose the appropritate *-in chain and add your "accept" rule as rule #1 of that chain.

I am making an update of the KUAL firewall, with buttons to open/close commonly used services - - -
So what ports did you have to open for your use?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
thgie

Hi you

Didn't matter. Just something generic that's free, like 1337 ... I'm looking forward to the update!
Old 07-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #7
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Does anyone still have a copy of this image file?
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iptables, node.js, paperwhite, port, ports