Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-15-2016, 08:05 AM   #436
Hultner
Hultner began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Not sure there is a terminal emulator (or even ssh client) included in this... for the client I'm sure you can find it (but the ssh client won't talk to a framebuffer). Over at the Kindle forum there is a terminal emulator and some people made an effort to get fbterm to work...

I'm not sure what I would do if I wanted to display a terminal on the Kobo screen... I can already display PNG images (pngshow, in my github) so maybe... run something in xvfb, take screenshots and display those?

You could run it in the browser with JavaScript (my WebPortal mod has some apps but no terminal really) but you'll probably get drowned in display refreshes...
Feels like a quite a hassle for such a thing, would be nice if it would be possilbe to compile and run qTerminal or something the like. Is it possible to run x11 applications on the Nook? How does nickel work? Is there a special type of framebuffer? Is it possible to run fbterm?
Hultner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:32 PM   #437
DuhPhewU
DuhPhewU began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo N416 Ereader
Hi: Would "sergeyvl12"'s kick-off to this thread, titled "KoboLauncher for standalone Qt apps," particularly the "Notepad," work on the "Kobo n416 eReader," aka Kobo 1st Generation, Original, & the one w/ Bluetooth (rather than WiFi)?
If not, could anyone point me to how I could install onto the Kobo n416 any small, simple text editor? (Notepad would be fine, but if any other such text editor could be more easily loaded onto the "n416" that'd be preferable given my newbie status, with thus particular kudos for a referral to step-by-step directions for doing this generally [&, if necessary or helpful specifically on a "Kobo n416"]).
Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.
Adam
P.S. Being a newcomer to this site, as well as a newbie, I've been amazed to see the extent of knowledge here, in addition to being impressed by the generosity those "in the know" are willing to be with aid & information for those not yet very saavy about this stuff.

Last edited by DuhPhewU; 07-15-2017 at 12:35 AM.
DuhPhewU is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2017, 10:49 PM   #438
DuhPhewU
DuhPhewU began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo N416 Ereader
Hi Would "sergeyvl12"'s kick-off to this thread, titled"KoboLauncher for standalone Qt apps," particularly the "Notepad," work on the "Kobo n416 eReader," aka Kobo 1st Generation, Original, & the one w/ Bluetooth rather than WiFi?
If not, could anyone point me to how I could install onto the Kobo n416 any small, simple text editor? (Notepad would be fine, but if any other such text editor could be more easily loaded onto the "n416" that'd be preferable given my newbie status, with thus particular kudos for a referral to step-by-step directions for doing this generally [&, if necessary or helpful specifically on a "Kobo n416"]).
Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.
Adam
P.S. Being a newcomer to this site, as well as a newbie, I've been amazed to see the extent of knowledge here, in addition to being impressed by the generosity those "in the know" are willing to be with aid & information for those not yet very saavy about this stuff.

Last edited by DuhPhewU; 07-15-2017 at 12:32 AM.
DuhPhewU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:54 AM   #439
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
1. Please stop double posting. It's very annoying.

2. As far as I remember, the non-Touch Kobos (the original you have and the Wifi) will not work with the add-ons coded for the later models.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:09 AM   #440
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
New apps

Hi!

The following new apps are added to the latest build (2017.10.06)

1. Konsole - type shell commands and see results
2. Dropbox client (requires license key)
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2017, 10:21 AM   #441
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyvl12 View Post
Hi!

The following new apps are added to the latest build (2017.10.06)

1. Konsole - type shell commands and see results
2. Dropbox client (requires license key)
Hi, thanks for making a terminal. I have found one problem with it, I installed python on my kobo and when I try to play a simple command line based tic tac toe game with python like this, python /mnt/onboard/tictactoe.py it won't display the application. And then when I type a letter it quits the application and then shows the application in the history of commands you entered. But since it left the application I can't play it anymore. So the only way to get the konsole to show the application is to type in a letter, and the application doesn't recognize it as a valid symbol and quits. Then the application shows up in the history of the commands you entered. Is there a way to get it to display the application without quiting the application first? I hope you understand what I am trying to say. Attached are two screenshots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171006100637.png
Views:	267
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	159329   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171006100815.png
Views:	277
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	159330  
Attached Files
File Type: py tictac.py (1.4 KB, 240 views)

Last edited by SKK; 10-06-2017 at 10:41 AM.
SKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:08 PM   #442
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

SKK,

This is because python is running without tty and thus buffers it's stdout. Probably I can't develop real terminal emulator for kobo because it has limited kernel (without pseudo terminal support)

For now the only solution I have is to put these lines at the beginning of your script:

class Unbuffered(object):
def __init__(self, stream):
self.stream = stream
def write(self, data):
self.stream.write(data)
self.stream.flush()
def writelines(self, datas):
self.stream.writelines(datas)
self.stream.flush()
def __getattr__(self, attr):
return getattr(self.stream, attr)

import sys
sys.stdout = Unbuffered(sys.stdout)
Old 10-06-2017, 05:17 PM   #443
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
SKK,

This is because python is running without tty and thus buffers it's stdout. Probably I can't develop real terminal emulator for kobo because it has limited kernel (without pseudo terminal support)

For now the only solution I have is to put these lines at the beginning of your script:

self.stream = stream
def write(self, data):
self.stream.write(data)
self.stream.flush()
self.stream.flush()

import sys
Thanks for your help! I added that code but now it says unbuffered object has no attribute write. So I guess I will just have to give up for now on getting python programs to run on a kobo.

Edit: Actually I made a mistake in the spacing on the code. It doesn't give that error anymore when I test it on the computer. Now to test it on the kobo.

Last edited by SKK; 10-06-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #444
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Code:
       self.stream = stream
   def write(self, data):
       self.stream.write(data)
       self.stream.flush()
       self.stream.flush()

import sys
The code indented
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #445
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
SKK

Have you try this?
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:31 PM   #446
SKK
Addict

Thanks alot everyone for your help! It works perfectly now on my kobo.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:59 AM   #447
Namenlos
Enthusiast
Namenlos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Can you please update the source code link? http://wiki.vlasovsoft.net/doku.php?...reader#license doesn't work anymore and I'd like to see with what options freetype is compiled and what version it is.

Thank you!
Namenlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #448
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namenlos View Post
Can you please update the source code link? http://wiki.vlasovsoft.net/doku.php?...reader#license doesn't work anymore and I'd like to see with what options freetype is compiled and what version it is.

Thank you!
Thanks, updated. But to see with what options freetype is compiled and what version it is you need CR Engine sources. I've also added the reference to it.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:15 AM   #449
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

sftp-server

Hi!

sftp-server is fixed in today's build.

http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/files/test/
Old 10-14-2017, 10:41 AM   #450
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

kobo aura h2o edition 2 support

Hi!

I've added kobo aura h2o edition 2 support into new build:

http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/files/...10.14_kobo.zip

and one person reported that it works. Please test.