Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
btab
btab began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Suppress indentation of first paragraph

Hi,
I often convert from epub to epub to remove spacing between paragraphs and set the text justification to "justified". It works fine, but I have not found a way to suppress the indentation of the first paragraph. I have tried to specify an "Extra CSS":

p:first-child {text-indent: 0pt;}

but it seems to have no effect in the generated output.
I would be very thankful for any hints.
Thanks in advance,
Behnam
btab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I think that isn't working because the first-child of the parent is probably a heading. Or at least that is my reading of the definition.

What I use to achieve what you want is:

h2 + p , h4 + p, hr + p {text-indent:0}

The exact heading levels and hr might get adjusted for different books but that works.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
btab
btab began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thank you davidfor for your answer.
You're right: My initial attempt with "p:first-child" would work only in cases where all paragraphs are inside an enclosing element like "div", which is not always the case.

Based on your solution with adjacent siblings (and after some experiments) I finally get good results with the following:

"Remove spacing between paragraphs" (checked)
"Indent size" (set to "No change")
Extra CSS:
p {text-indent: 0}
p + p {text-indent: 1.5em}

Setting the indent size in the dialog box to "No change" seems to be essential, otherwise the given value will override the value given in the extra CSS.
btab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by btab View Post
"Remove spacing between paragraphs" (checked)
"Indent size" (set to "No change")
Extra CSS:
p {text-indent: 0}
p + p {text-indent: 1.5em}
Thanks for sharing your solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btab View Post
Setting the indent size in the dialog box to "No change" seems to be essential, otherwise the given value will override the value given in the extra CSS.
You are correct. The checkbox next to "Remove spacing between paragraphs" also activates the "Indent size" field. If the box is not checked neither of these features are activated. It is sometimes hard to realize that the checkbox is for the entire line of features.

Good Reading.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote