Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-21-2012, 04:07 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Custom fonts

Does the 611 allow custom fonts to be used in ePub files (with no embedded font)?

I have been allowed to try one, and couldn't change the font, it only changed the font in the main interface, but I don't know if the ePub file I tried had embedded fonts.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Does the 611 allow custom fonts to be used in ePub files (with no embedded font)?
It allows, but certain books ignore own fonts. You habe to copy the font files into "System -> Adobe -> Fonts" and use the right format, either *.ttf or *.otf (not sure which one, simply rename the file and copy both versions)

Quote:
I have been allowed to try one, and couldn't change the font, it only changed the font in the main interface, but I don't know if the ePub file I tried had embedded fonts.
If your books aren't locked by DRM you can use Calibre and the tips from this post (German section) to get rid of embedded fonts
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's no System/Adobe/Fonts folder (there's system/fonts), and fonts there do not work in the Adobe viewer, at least not without modifying the book files, which is something I don't want to do.

(Custom fonts work with FBReader, though)
Old 08-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry,

had to be System/Fonts/Adobe/Fonts, and file type has to be *.otf

Though there are a lot of books that have hardcoded embedded fonts where it's not enough to clear the CSS file. For this you have to follow the advice in the mentioned post
Old 08-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
Sorry,

Though there are a lot of books that have hardcoded embedded fonts where it's not enough to clear the CSS file. For this you have to follow the advice in the mentioned post
That's an improvement over the old days, when adobeviewer wouldn't recognize added fonts. I guess they're not totally oblivious to user requests back at head office.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
troll05
Harmless idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
That's an improvement over the old days, when adobeviewer wouldn't recognize added fonts. I guess they're not totally oblivious to user requests back at head office.
Definitely, and since I cleared all my books from embedded fonts the AdobeViewer is even more my favorite on the Touch.

I have CR3 installed and occasionally use fbreader but both can't hold a candle to Adobe as it was one year ago
Old 08-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
And how do I choose the font? Only fonts in System/Fonts can be selected, not those in System/Fonts/Adobe/Fonts. Or do I have to duplicate the files?
Old 08-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Troll, does the PB 611 use the old AdobeReader like the 602, 603 or the new AdobeReader like the 622?
I was under the impression that only the 622 uses the improved AdobeReader where you can set some things like fonts yourself but as I don't have a 611 or 622 I really don't know and may be wrong.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
troll05
Harmless idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Troll, does the PB 611 use the old AdobeReader like the 602, 603 or the new AdobeReader like the 622?
I was under the impression that only the 622 uses the improved AdobeReader where you can set some things like fonts yourself but as I don't have a 611 or 622 I really don't know and may be wrong.
Hmmm, have to check this and get my 602 updated to last version, maybe you are right.
I was quite sure all new FWs use the same version of Adobe. Give me until Sunday since I'm on vacation right now.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:03 AM   #10
troll05
Harmless idiot

Hi again,

checked with my 602, this is still the old reader without the possibility to use custom fonts.

You can see which version you have by looking at the menu UI. If you have 9 icons, 3 in a row and 3 stacked you have the old version (no custom fonts), if all options are stacked on two different pages it's the new one (with custom fonts).

The better option fo using custom fonts and several other formatting options is to reconvert all EPUB books following the tips in this thread from the german section (Google translated) and then using either fbreader or CR3 (works very good with non-touch devices)
Old 08-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Thanks for testing, I guess the 611 uses the "old" version. I'll try with CR3 when I get my hands on the device again, but I don't have high expectations (CSS and SVG support is often very poor in non-Adobe readers, worse than in ADE, I mean).

Oh, by the way, would this hack work? I can't find the original version, though.

Last edited by Jellby; 08-27-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #12
troll05
Harmless idiot

Allthose issues can be solved by reformatting the books the way you like, it's mostly not an Adobe issue but a publishers problem.

The hacked Adobe Reader should work, but I have no experience with this.Maybe ask @Paola, AFAIK she uses this
Old 08-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #13
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
The hacked Adobe Reader should work, but I have no experience with this.Maybe ask @Paola, AFAIK she uses this
sadly, it no longer works on my PB903 (2.1.3 firmware) - it does work fine on my PB360, though. So I'd give it a go!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #14
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I seem to recall that that hack was just for modifying where the userStyle.css file was located, which allowed it to be edited afterwards. With the latest firmware on my PB902 (fw 2.1.3), there is a userStyle.css file in /system/fonts/adobe/ that can be modified. So, maybe the old hack isn't necessary anymore with newer versions of AdobeViewer.app?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #15
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I seem to recall that that hack was just for modifying where the userStyle.css file was located, which allowed it to be edited afterwards. With the latest firmware on my PB902 (fw 2.1.3), there is a userStyle.css file in /system/fonts/adobe/ that can be modified. So, maybe the old hack isn't necessary anymore with newer versions of AdobeViewer.app?
ah, that would be great: but e.g. I've tried to change the margins
Quote:
p {margin: 20px;}
and nothing seems to be happening...

EDIT: fantastic, it does work - the rule to use is

Quote:
@page {
margin-right:20px;
margin-left:20px;
margin-top:10px;
margin-bottom:10px;
}
or whatever you prefer of course. Rob, many thanks, this is a great find! Not as practical as changing from a settings menu, of course, but still really great!

Last edited by paola; 08-28-2012 at 05:12 PM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote