Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 03-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
darasen
darasen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Reason to root?

I find it interesting that the PS-T1 can be rooted as it does. I am not the owner of a smart phone (never found a need) thus I have no real experience with android. I am not a facebook, social media user either. So this leads me to the question of what is the advantage of rooting my PRS-T1?

I have no problems with the current font selection or the collections on my PRS-T1. Thus, file system/OS wise I do not see an advantage. This seems to leave running applications as only real reason to root. But, what applications make it worth doing? Given the limitations of E-ink I can only assume games are pretty much out. Besides I bought the device primarily to read not play Fruit Ninja. I will say I have used my PRS-T1 on two occasions to send email via gmail.

I do see disadvantages in battery life and the potential to brick my reader.Note I am not trying to sound negative and, as a programmer, I certainly understand accomplishing something for the sake of doing it. I am genuinely interested to know that advantage of worthwhile apps for rooting.

PS: If it allows the temporary disabling of the touch screen for speed reading that may compel me.
darasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
Skibble
Runs With Scissors
Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Everyone has personal reasons, and for some people I'm sure there is no reason to root at all.

For me, it was worth doing so that I could use it to access email in an emergency when traveling. I can't do that with the phone I have. It's come in extremely useful on multiple occasions for that purpose.

Since I had it rooted already for the email access, I went ahead and installed some other apps -- puzzle games (not animated, so they work fine on e-ink), an improved PDF reader, and an app to transfer files more easily from the internet to my reader, to name a few. I don't use them every day, or even every week, but I'm glad to have them.
Skibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I like having the coolreader and the fbreader apps, as well as the dropbox app. That way I can read a few more formats and choose the reading app I like best.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
robyshot
Enthusiast
robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Prs T1
i have rooted my t1 for reading mangas and comics with perfect viewer and then i discovered dropbox,that is very handy
robyshot is offline   Reply With Quote