Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #481
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Hugh teamed up with John Joseph Adams on that new pre|post-apoc anthology. Should be some great stuff in there (in addition to a new Wool story).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #482
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I just finished the first book in the Wool series. All I have to say is - AMAZING!

The accolades this series received (at least the first book) are well earned.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #483
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Count me in as a fan. Just midway through #5 now. I might not have tried them if not for the number of recommendations I saw here. His writing style is very inconspicuous. The prose is nearly invisible, which is neat to me.

I have one nit-pick. Socially, the silo dwellers interact and communicate too much as we do right now. I expect more drift from today's social norms, something a bit more foreign or alien. But all the interactions feel like putting on an old shoe, just too familiar. Still a great, relatively fresh, tale in a tired genre.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:55 PM   #484
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
My biggest issue isn't that, it's:

<spoiler, if you haven't read Shift omnibus>

Spoiler:

After so many years in separate silos why didn't their language drift apart? Why was Solo able to talk to Juliette so easily?

<spoiler, if you haven't read Dust>
Spoiler:

The end left me with FAR more questions than answers...

Do they try to go back to try to save the others?
Did the other silos go dark after the bombing?
Did the selective breeding run by the rigged lotteries make them look foreign to each other? Were there new "races"?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:33 AM   #485
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Wool 1,2,3,4,5

I have the Omnibus so I've read books 1 through 5 of the Silo series. I've yet to read First, Second, and Third Shift. Anyone read his Sand series? Is it any good?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #486
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
you know what? Fallout 3 the videogame is far more fun.

there, said it...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:18 PM   #487
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
Fallout 3 the videogame is far more fun.

there, said it...
Doesn't make it true (especially for those who don't do videogames).
Old 04-11-2014, 09:18 PM   #488
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
you know what? Fallout 3 the videogame is far more fun.

there, said it...
They've got your suit all picked out and your wool ready. Give us a good cleaning!!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #489
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I have the Omnibus so I've read books 1 through 5 of the Silo series. I've yet to read First, Second, and Third Shift. Anyone read his Sand series? Is it any good?
Reading it right now. (read a substantial portion of it sitting on a sand dune on a beach, trying to keep blowing sand out of my Kindle... haha) It started out a bit slow and I was afraid it was going to be a Dune ripoff, but it soon became clear that wasn't the case and the more I get into it the more interesting it gets. It just got much more intriguing at about 30% and then I ran out of time and had to set it aside for the last 24 hours... anxious to see what happens next.

I got it via the Kindle Lending Library, so it was "free" for me to read. So far it has been more than worth the price of admission! (that's not intended as a backhanded complement, it is good so far).
Old 04-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #490
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wool 1,2,3,4,5

You read Sand while sitting on a sand dune? That's awesome

The synopsis did intrigue me and now your post intrigued the series for me even more. I think I'll read it. I just want to complete the Wool series first. Thank you for your opinion!
Old 04-15-2014, 02:43 PM   #491
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I wasn't nearly as impressed with Sand as I was with Wool, Shift, and Dust.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #492
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
You read Sand while sitting on a sand dune? That's awesome
If you order a signed book from Hugh's website he includes a pinch of sand spread out through the book.

I didn't enjoy Sand as much as the Silo series, but it was still very good and another unique take on a post-apocalyptic society. Much darker at points than Wool. I have enjoyed almost everything I have read by him, the only exceptions being a couple short stories that have only been "ok". I really need to try the Molly Fyde series soon.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:18 PM   #493
twowheels
Wizard

Hopefully this isn't too big of a spoiler, but I don't think so as this detail is clear from very early in the book. Once you start reading (assuming you know nothing about the plot), reading it while sitting on a sand dune was more apropos than you might realize. :-)

A warning that you may or may not care about. The book has more adult language and circumstances than the Wool books. Not a huge amount, but still more than Wool.

Family safe description in the spoiler tags, though still hidden due to the content.

Spoiler:

There are numerous uses of the f word and fairly direct references to its meaning, generally as a crude comment in response to the usage of the word. Nothing more explicit than that yet.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:19 AM   #494
Gazella
Wizard

Wool 1,2,3,4,5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
If you order a signed book from Hugh's website he includes a pinch of sand spread out through the book.

I didn't enjoy Sand as much as the Silo series, but it was still very good and another unique take on a post-apocalyptic society. Much darker at points than Wool. I have enjoyed almost everything I have read by him, the only exceptions being a couple short stories that have only been "ok". I really need to try the Molly Fyde series soon.

Haha. That's pretty cool (about the pinch of sand). I like dark reads so I think I'll enjoy it

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Hopefully this isn't too big of a spoiler, but I don't think so as this detail is clear from very early in the book. Once you start reading (assuming you know nothing about the plot), reading it while sitting on a sand dune was more apropos than you might realize. :-)

A warning that you may or may not care about. The book has more adult language and circumstances than the Wool books. Not a huge amount, but still more than Wool.

Family safe description in the spoiler tags, though still hidden due to the content.

Spoiler:

There are numerous uses of the f word and fairly direct references to its meaning, generally as a crude comment in response to the usage of the word. Nothing more explicit than that yet.

Thanks for the warning!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #495
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
Haha, Hugh actually speaks on that exact subject in one of his facebook posts recently and his response is classic, but best not repeated here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

Spoiler:

IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote