Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 12:46 AM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
'I should be the Nook's ideal customer. But I'm not...I am locked in.'

Quote:
PCMag announced a new Editors Choice for ebook readers today: the Barnes and Noble Nook...As an early-adopter, avid-reader, and current owner of a Kindle 2, I should be the Nook's ideal customer. But I'm not. You see, like millions of you, I am locked in.
Quote:
I knew what was happening and happily accepted Amazon's terms of my Kindle usage. I have been buying books for years and now even have several magazine subscriptions. The thing is, until now, I didn't care. The Kindle was always the better device, albeit not by much. Now that has changed, and I am crying foul.
Well cry me a river.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817...079TX1K0000585
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
or lesson learned
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 01:12 AM   #3
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
but he knew what was happening...? i mean, i don't know whether to be annoyed at this person o_O;
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:15 AM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
It's a valid point. If you live in the ePub world, jumping from one ePub reader to the next is relativliy trivial. But once in the amazon garden it will be a painful task to jump to another reader. But only if you reread books or magazines. If you read once and discard, you could just sell the kindle and start with a new ePub reader.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:19 AM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
It's a valid point. If you live in the ePub world, jumping from one ePub reader to the next is relativliy trivial. But once in the amazon garden it will be a painful task to jump to another reader. But only if you reread books or magazines. If you read once and discard, you could just sell the kindle and start with a new ePub reader.
that's actually a good point, I would just take a look at my library and ask "Am I ever REALLY going to read that one again"? In a way it's not that much difference then cleaning out your physical books and dropping then in a donation bin.

To me any book that has sentimental value that I must hold on I have in hard cover sitting on my bookshelf.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 01:28 AM   #6
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not me, boswd, I keep em unDRMd, and in my Dropbox library via Calibre.

I reread my ebooks often.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:28 AM   #7
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
If you buy ebooks at B&N, then you are locked into the Nook. You can't read those book on other epub ereaders.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:35 AM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
If you buy ebooks at B&N, then you are locked into the Nook. You can't read those book on other epub ereaders.
I was going to mention that, but IIRC, there is a hack to unDRM the BnN books. I am not sure because I refuse to play BnNs unique DRM game. I use a Sony, but I buy from kobo, fictionwise, Booksonboard, diesel, bean.

They are either non DRM, or inept adobe DRM.

I would never purchase an ebook from BnN.

Edit: Sony uses inept adobe DRM too, but they are usually more expensive.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:39 AM   #9
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Ah, life's troubles.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:42 AM   #10
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Ah, life's troubles.
Spoken like a true bird in a gilded cage.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:05 AM   #11
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Spoken like a true bird in a gilded cage.
I must say that is probably accurate.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:12 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I was going to mention that, but IIRC, there is a hack to unDRM the BnN books. I am not sure because I refuse to play BnNs unique DRM game. I use a Sony, but I buy from kobo, fictionwise, Booksonboard, diesel, bean.

They are either non DRM, or inept adobe DRM.

I would never purchase an ebook from BnN.

Edit: Sony uses inept adobe DRM too, but they are usually more expensive.
There is a hack to clean the amazon books from the drm virus as well. I've bought several books from Amazon and I don't own a Kindle, nor do I read on my pc. And Amazon hasn't made a K4WinCE either.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:16 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Even though I have Nook and Kindle, my world is not locked in. That's because my world consists of free public domain classic literature; which is freely available in both formats.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:41 AM   #14
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
This might call for congressional legislation to open up ereader hardware.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:59 AM   #15
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I think the article is basically complaining about nothing. He admits he knew he was getting locked in with the Kindle. I can't see that he's lost anything with regard to what he got it for in the first place. What he's griping about is nothing much to do with reading books; it's about gadget addiction. If he's that keen on the new gadget he can be happily locked in with B&N for new books and can strip DRM and change format on any books he wants to transfer from the Kindle. But the Kindle is still capable of doing the job for which he bought it. Keeping one set of books on one device and another set on the other is hardly less convenient than having bookshelves of dt books in different rooms of one's house.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote