Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
ralban
ralban began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Rooted NC, occasional reboot & battery life

Anyone else observe an occasional automatic reboot of their rooted NC?

I'll glance at the device and see it bring up the "Touch the future of reading" screen followed by the custom rooted nook color animation, and then the slide to unlock screen. It hasn't interfered with my use of the device, but I am curious as to why it is happening. Not sure if it is a 3rd party app, or if I should attempt re-rooting it.

How has battery-life been for rooters? I'm not sure if I'm using the device more (likely) or if any 3rd party apps are straining the battery....
ralban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
A handful of people over at XDA Developers mentioned the random reboot thing. I've never experienced it. Perhaps others will chime in.

Battery life has not been affected for me. WiFi stays on, updating feeds, syncing mail and calendar, using browser.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
ralban
ralban began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Thanks, SCION-
How many hours do you think you are getting between charges?
ralban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I have about 40% battery life remaining when I retire for the night. I plug up every night.

Edit: Stuff that I used to do on my phone, I now do on the NC. I basically just use my phone for calls now. I say this so that you'll know that my NC is heavily used throughout the day.

Last edited by SCION; 12-22-2010 at 03:45 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I have about 40% battery life remaining when I retire for the night. I plug up every night.

Edit: Stuff that I used to do on my phone, I now do on the NC. I basically just use my phone for calls now. I say this so that you'll know that my NC is heavily used throughout the day.
There's a neat app for something with a camera (like your phone) called Google Goggles. It's still growing and hasn't reached it's full potential but looks very promising. There are other apps that require a camera or GPS that I use also. In addition my phone stays with me more than my NC will when I'm away from the house & it has 3G as well as wi-fi.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post

I have been taking the same approach with my NC. I keep my phone to do phone calls but use the NC for the rest. Battery life has surprised me and, yes, I am now plugging it in before I go to sleep every night.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
I have been getting about 8-10 hours of battery life from the Nook. I originally had a bunch of my regular apps on there including YIM, KIK, Twidroyd, but then took them off because my husband is using it a lot more, I have a fantastic phone for all of the social networking stuff, and I don't want either of us to be interrupted while we're reading.

Even with all of those updates pushing through, I was still getting great battery life. WiFi stays on. Gmail and FB are still being pushed through.
So I think between the two of us, we are using it pretty heavily, and we still only have to charge it at night when we go to bed.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote