Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 11-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
rsteckly
rsteckly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Cool New Program to download blogs and other feeds to Kindle/Epub

Hi,

We (the place I work for) just created a new piece of software to help people download blogs and other feed based content to their e-readers.

It's freely downloadable at http://www.klera.org. It's still in Beta and might have a few kinks, so please let us know if you find anything.

I'd love to hear any feedback about the program: feature suggestions, bug reports and any other comments you might have.

Thanks! If you have any questions, just let me know .

Ron
rsteckly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
If you want beta testers, remove that ridiculous requirement to create an account and then login to download the program. Otherwise, you're wasting my time.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
rsteckly

Registration removed

Hi Joe,

Registration requirement removed. The idea was to protect the server from bots, not to be invasive.

Ron
Old 11-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
OK, thanks for removing the registration requirement. However, there is another problem from my perspective. Your tiny little program requires that I first download and install dotNet 4, which is a huge download.

Before I continue, let me say that all developers should plainly state upfront the need for additional downloads before using their program.

Until there is a deluge of programs requiring dotNet 4, I'm just not interested in downloading yet another bloated MS runtime. I'm not anti-MS -- I like Windows 7. I just don't see the need to require a new, huge runtime library every year or so. The main reason MS does this is to keep the developers buying new development tools on a regular basis.

Don't feel singled out. I also stopped being interested in an epub development tool when it switched from dotNet 3.5 to 4.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
rsteckly

.NET Download size

Hi Joe,

I understand your point. The .NET runtime, however, can be downloaded in as little as 28 mbs (Python, in comparison, is about 15 mb). To check how much you'd need, you can go to SmallestDotNet.com.

It's only developers who have to download the huge, entire framework to have all the libraries. The average end user doesn't need to download nearly that much.

Nevertheless, point taken. I'm not an MS fanboy or anything--it just made sense to to build it in that framework.

Last edited by rsteckly; 11-15-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Advert