Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
New Glowlight has now been rooted

I love my new Glowlight but without a SD card I was pessimistic about root possibilities. The only thing I really used root for was automatic sync'ing with Dropbox (using Dropsync Pro) so I was going to be able to live without that...

However, in the last week or two some folks at XDA have been working hard on rooting it. As someone who doesn't know much about the intricate details of that process, it's been a fun read. Here it is in case you're interested in following along...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2559915
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
usenothing
usenothing began at the beginning.

Device: Nook1,New NOOK GlowLight
sure~
Now adb worked finely ,and we can do many things...
usenothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
The fact that it still runs 2.1 severely limits what you can do once rooted.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

As long as I can get Dropsync running on it I'll be a happy camper.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedinfargo View Post
As long as I can get Dropsync running on it I'll be a happy camper.
Well, the current version requires 2.3.3 at a minimum, so you'd have to search the web for an older version that is compatible with 2.1. Also, the nook only has 256MB of RAM, which is another drawback for running apps, as that's rather low - it may not be able to keep the dropsync service running in the background as the process might be killed to make room for other processes, like the reader, library or whatnot.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
spedinfargo
Groupie

Yep - been there with the older version of dropsync: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...67&postcount=7

I hope I kept that 1.68 version laying around somewhere...

Background sync isn't important to me - just being able to on-demand pull down files from my dropbox account is invaluable. I didn't think I would miss it as much as I do but tethering to my PC just to get my Calibre news is kind of a pain.

I'm assuming that the NG2 (nook glow 2?) is at least as powerful as the NST so hopefully once it's rooted (and it's sorta rooted now!) it should be able to do everything a rooted NST can do (minus the physical buttons of course).

I'm surprised at how much I like the Glow aspect of the new Nook - I thought my eyes wouldn't care for the "sorta backlight" but after using it for a month or so I like it. Also have gotten used to the touch screen for turning pages...
Old 01-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
bobstro
Zealot
bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014,Hisense Sero Pro 7,Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini
I've had good luck using FolderSync on my rooted NSTs. The current version, 2.5.6 dated Dec. 16, 2013, runs fine. The app is frequently updated yet still runs on Android 2.1. I've found it provides the same sync capabilities as Dropsync, plus the ability to use a number of other private and cloud services. I use it to sync Calibre newsfeeds from my SFTP server. You can have it sync folders on demand or on a background schedule. It is also scriptable with Tasker for more granular control.

Last edited by bobstro; 01-07-2014 at 10:12 AM.
bobstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Without an SD card, the root will have limited value, but you might be able to get your sync working alright. You can get apps that help you kill extraneous process. You'll probably want to go in and remove all processes you don't want and can safely remove. In fact, this is essential if you want to have a decent batter life. I think Titanium Backup will help you do it, though I did it manually with root explorer. In fact I'm eyeing up a system cloud process at the moment that's using 10 meg. Maybe it can be destroyed But read carefully and read up about it all.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #9
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Without an SD card, the root will have limited value, ...
Not true, if developers can at some point add the USB-Host capability to the STGL2 as it has been done for the ST and with which one can attach external flash storage.
Quote:
You'll probably want to go in and remove all processes you don't want and can safely remove.
To disable an app, use a file-manager app (such as ES File Explorer) to rename that app's .apk file (e.g., xyz.apk to xyz.apk.bak) then reboot. This way the change can be backed out down the road if need be.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:46 PM   #10
spedinfargo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobstro View Post
I've had good luck using FolderSync on my rooted NSTs. The current version, 2.5.6 dated Dec. 16, 2013, runs fine. The app is frequently updated yet still runs on Android 2.1. I've found it provides the same sync capabilities as Dropsync, plus the ability to use a number of other private and cloud services. I use it to sync Calibre newsfeeds from my SFTP server. You can have it sync folders on demand or on a background schedule. It is also scriptable with Tasker for more granular control.
This is great to know - I always thought I was holding on by a string wiht dropsync, esp. with the needing to run a old version. As soon as the root process gets a little more simplified for me to give a try I'll give Foldersync a try...
Old 01-14-2014, 12:47 PM   #11
spedinfargo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Without an SD card, the root will have limited value,
Limited value due to the limitation on storage space? My news stuff only takes about 50-100 meg at most so that wouldn't be a problem for me. I agree, though, that getting at more than 500 meg would be good...
Old 01-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #12
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
There's a good 2GB free on the NG2.
Unless you're an avid B&N book buyer you could certainly use most/all of that.

Yes, external USB flash drivers will certainly work but they are not optimal.
The USB driver has always needed work and USB hot mode is a current hog.
Add in the inconvenience of an external adapter and you're better off with other solutions.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #13
spedinfargo
Groupie

If anyone is following this thread, root has been accomplished... even by me (and I don't know that much about rooting). I did a self-booting Linux stick and was able to root, install Dropsync and a web browser and get my calibre recipes to download to my Nook automatically. Very happy!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:02 AM   #14
glypto
glypto began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
spedinfargo, can you please provide link to instructions? Thanks.
glypto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #15
spedinfargo
Groupie

Here is the post in the thread with the the Linux files that you can download: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=316

There is a really good Readme file in there but if you have limited Linux skills like I did, you can also download my additional notes: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=350

Getting it to work with Windows may be a bit difficult right now... (USB driver stuff).