Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 06-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Zora
Enthusiast
Zora began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Nexus tablet
Percentage of readers using Adobe Digital Editions?

I'm a researcher-writer-editor-proofreader ... and I've recently added ebook formatting to my skills. One of the editors at a local book design company asked my advice re some ebook files that she believed were full of errors. I looked at the epub and mobi files on my PC and my iPod and saw no problems with the rendering of Hawaiian diacritics (macrons and glottal stops). I asked her what she was using to read the book and she said Adobe Digital Editions 1.7.2. So I downloaded and installed ADE (the latest, 2.0) to look at the epub file and it was perfectly fine.

Something wrong at her end, clearly.

One of the things that puzzled me was that she would choose to use ADE as a reader. So far as I can tell, folks these days either use a Kindle app or an epub reader like Calibre (on a desktop) or Aldiko (on a smartphone). I don't hear much about ADE. I can't find any statistics online as to what percentage of the ereading public uses ADE. Does anyone here know?
Zora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
For people reading on a PC I'd guess ADE use is fairly high since it's required* to download Adobe Adept DRM'd books from libraries and retailers. Also most eInk readers use the Adobe RMSDK to render ePub which has some basis in ADE. 1.7.2 is an older version, but I bet most folks don't upgrade, or know there's an upgrade, unless they're having problems with the older version.

*Sony's desktop software can be used in place of ADE for DRM downloads, but it's also based on ADE.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
Zora
Enthusiast

Interesting, re libraries

Our local library system uses Overdrive, which offers most of the library ebooks in ADE only. Since I hate reading on my PC (would rather lie on my bed with the iPod) I have given up on the library and pirate if I can't afford to buy. Only today did I finally download and install ADE. I don't think it will be that useful for me. I only deal with ebooks on my PC if I'm editing/formatting them, which is not all the same thing as pleasure reading I edit in Oxygen and view the result with Calibre.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Most Readers (eInk) that handle ePub do use Adobe's Digital Reader RMSDK. That includes companies like Sony, Kobo, B&N, Bookeen, Pocketbook, Jetbook, and others.

To download ePub with DRM (Apple does not count at all), ADE is needed.

Aldiko uses code from the RSMDK. Bluefire Reader for iOS and Android does as well.

ADE does ignore/handle some errors. What you need to do is run the ePub through epubcheck 3.0.1 and any errors/warnings that come up should be fixed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It makes total sense to me that a book design company would HAVE the older version.
JSW hit it on the head.

The in use devices (no PC's) in the field (many are not easily/cheaply/even possible) upgradable) are the reason NOT to release Bleeding Edge developed product that has not been tested for 'satisfactory' results on 'down-rev' devices.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zora View Post
Our local library system uses Overdrive, which offers most of the library ebooks in ADE only. Since I hate reading on my PC (would rather lie on my bed with the iPod) I have given up on the library and pirate if I can't afford to buy. Only today did I finally download and install ADE. I don't think it will be that useful for me. I only deal with ebooks on my PC if I'm editing/formatting them, which is not all the same thing as pleasure reading I edit in Oxygen and view the result with Calibre.
Bluefire will run on your iPod and it is based on ADE and will support the eBooks checked out from a library. Overdrive also has a media app that will run on your iPod. ADE is the dominant standard for ePub these days. Anything you edit or format in ePub should be verified on ADE. Calibre is not a good validation tool for conformance to ePub.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
Zora
Enthusiast

Thank you Dale for info re checking epubs w ADE rather than Calibre. (Of course I also use the validation in Oxygen and the online epub validator to be sure.) I'll change my toolchain.

May check out new apps for my iPod as well.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Zora
Enthusiast

As for testing ebooks on older devices ... what if you don't have them? You'd have to have dozens to fully test an ebook.

So far I haven't done anything bleeding edge for my clients (not that I could, yet). Novels and self-help books are fairly straightforward. My eformatting mentor stressed the importance of keeping the HTML and CSS as simple as possible, to avoid compatibility problems with the multitudes of devices and apps out there.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
My eformatting mentor stressed the importance of keeping the HTML and CSS as simple as possible, to avoid compatibility problems with the multitudes of devices and apps out there.
Smart mentor!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As for testing ebooks on older devices ... what if you don't have them? You'd have to have dozens to fully test an ebook.

So far I haven't done anything bleeding edge for my clients (not that I could, yet). Novels and self-help books are fairly straightforward. My eformatting mentor stressed the importance of keeping the HTML and CSS as simple as possible, to avoid compatibility problems with the multitudes of devices and apps out there.
(Echo of FW)

They call it 'Bleeding Edge' for a reason

You should have a very compelling reason to need only the 'latest' version devices. IMHO the clients 'I want' only goes so far. Warn them. Make them sign a waiver of your warning to avoid later 'disputes' when their decision come back to haunt them (and they want you to correct it for free).
Old 06-28-2013, 05:55 AM   #11
iamosam
Enthusiast
iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Is there anyway I can change the background color (white on black) in ADE? Otherwise I like the software.
iamosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamosam View Post
Is there anyway I can change the background color (white on black) in ADE? Otherwise I like the software.
Which version ADE? On what Device?

You could probably Edit your books CSS as some device do not offer options to 'flip' the font<-> background color
Old 06-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

A few things to do that you can do on a computer running Windows.

Install ADE 1.72, ADE 2.0 and Sony's Reader Library.

When you want to test how your ePub will look, use all three programs. ADE 1.7.2 is an older version and some Readers are using such an older version. Also, test in ADE 2.0 as that is the newer version and some Readers use a newer version. Also test with Sony's Reader Library that uses ADE 1.7.2 but the display will show you how your ePub will look on a 6" screen.

If your ePub looks good in all three, you are good to go. If not, back to fixing until you get all three to look good. This way, you won't need to buy all the Readers out there just to test your ePub. This you can do with Windows and it will work and it will be easier to do.

As for validating your ePub, use epubcheck 3.0.1 and not whatever is online. Do so from your Windows computer. This way you are sure that the software you are using is correct and up-to-date. Plus, it's faster then uploading to be validated.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #14
sjkramer
Connoisseur
sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone
Quote:
I have given up on the library and pirate if I can't afford to buy.
Possibly the most depressing thing I've read in these forums, especially from someone who makes a living in the book industry. If you don't buy books but pirate them, nobody will be able to afford to pay you and then you really won't be able to afford to buy them. I know this is an unpopular sentiment, but there you go.
sjkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #15
Zora
Enthusiast

I buy as much as I can. I'm poor, living on Social Security, Medicaid, and foodstamps. I spend $10-$20 a month on ebooks, which is a large chunk of my budget. But I read vv quickly, average a book a day, and I can't afford to buy everything I want to read.

I would much prefer to get everything from a library (we only need ONE English-language elibrary, after all, if it's online) if the library did have everything I wanted and if it paid something to author and publisher every time a non-public-domain book/journal/magazine was downloaded. Support to come from governments, donors, possibly subscriptions. If such a library existed, I wouldn't have to maintain my own individual library. I wouldn't pirate!

Tags
adobe digital editions