Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 02-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Walking Dead graphics novels come to Kobo (and are non-agency!)

The title speaks for itself. The Walking Dead: Vol 1 (issues 1-6) graphic novels are now available on Kobo. Here's the link: http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-W...w4A/page1.html

Better yet, they're non-agency so are available for Kobo's discount codes! I was just about to buy them from ComiXology for the same price, so the discount code was a big bonus. Can't wait for the next volumes.

Though amusingly, issues 5 and 6 were reversed, someone screwed up while operating the scanner. I imagine they'll update it at some point.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Awesome!

Vox only, interesting. Been enjoying some Comix2go titles on the Playbook.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
Awesome!

Vox only, interesting. Been enjoying some Comix2go titles on the Playbook.
I've been using ComiXology because they have a store with a lot of major publishers involved (I want to buy comics, not torrent them). Most comics for Kobo appear to be Vox only, which I do wonder about because the Kobo app is available for a lot of devices that are perfectly capable of displaying them. *shrug*
Old 02-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
I've been using ComiXology because they have a store with a lot of major publishers involved (I want to buy comics, not torrent them). Most comics for Kobo appear to be Vox only, which I do wonder about because the Kobo app is available for a lot of devices that are perfectly capable of displaying them. *shrug*
I miswrote the app name above. It is coMix-on-the-go and it is legit on Playbook. There are a few free #1 issues, then you buy them usually in packs of issues from the RIM appstore via credit card or Paypal. I also buy all my books, comics, software, music and movies or get legit freetitles.

I love the Vox only books that you can zoom and pan but wish Kobo would upgrade the other readers too. Nice that it is exclusive until my kids are using the Vox.

Bought The Walking Dead, coupon code worked, 40%!

Last edited by hpulley; 02-29-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #5
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
I tried to get a preview of this graphic novel, and I get a 'download failed'. When I try to open the preview from my bookshelf, I see a box that says "Sorry! This book is not yet available on this device. You may download and read this book using our desktop software, or check back at a later date."

To troubleshoot, I purchased a 'comic' for $1.99. Mixed results. Usually I get a "Book Error. This book cannot be opened due to an error. Please try again later." Sometimes I see only a blank screen. Once I actually did manage to open the thing, but if this is the way comics or graphic novels are going to display--no thanks. I was unable to change the size of the screen and a portion of it was cut off. I don't see any way to re-do the download, I don't see a downloaded file.

I did purchase a Vox book today without problems.

I've never read graphic novels or comics on the Vox before, can anyone shed some light on what the problem might be? The free "Franklin" that came installed on the Vox works just fine.

(I see another support ticket brewing...)
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:31 AM   #6
hpulley
Addict

All the Vox only books work great here though I haven't tried previews of them.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
scrapking
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
Usually I get a "Book Error. This book cannot be opened due to an error. Please try again later." Sometimes I see only a blank screen. Once I actually did manage to open the thing, but if this is the way comics or graphic novels are going to display--no thanks. I was unable to change the size of the screen and a portion of it was cut off. I don't see any way to re-do the download, I don't see a downloaded file.

I did purchase a Vox book today without problems.
I've had the same results as you, more or less. I haven't had previews of them work either, but purchasing them does. Though on a few occasions I had to power-cycle the Vox (after downloading the Just for Kobo Vox book to my library) to make it work.

Never have any problems with regular Kobo e-books either.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #8
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Straying from topic slightly...actually, I wanted to make sure graphic novels or comics were even viewable before I bought the one featured in this thread. (And I wondered if it was my device specifically that was having a problem.)

With the troublesome $1.99 comic, I did the following:

From the Vox library shelf, long pressed the comic until a menu came up. Chose to remove the book from the library.

Went to the Kobo web page on my laptop, went into my account, looked at my purchase history, where the item was listed. It was not in my library. I clicked on "purchased", it was listed there. I selected the comic and bookmarked it. I then synced the library on the Vox and the comic downloaded again. It is in my library on the web page, and it is displaying properly now on the Vox, so it looks like a problem with the download.

As for the preview issue, maybe it's just not going to work with graphic novels.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #9
scrapking
Evangelist

The Walking Dead volumes 2 through 15 are now also available on "Just for Kobo Vox". Where vol.1 was $8.99, the rest are all $9.99. Each volume is six issues of the comic.

While that's the same price as Comixology, etc., for these graphic novels, it's worth noting that they're all non-agency books so eligible for Kobo's plentiful discount codes. That means it's pretty easy to get them around 30% off on average (as low as 10% off, and as high as 45% off).

Last edited by scrapking; 03-29-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #10
hpulley
Addict

Thanks for letting me know! Kobo really could advertise better, I follow them on twitter and like them on facebook but ... Nothing.