Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
New firmware soon and what can we expect?

Hi, hopefully one of the Kobo devs will read this.

Just wondering when a new firmware for the KT is due and what fixes and new features we can expect?
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
subtle_minx
subtle_minx began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Also curious about this...
subtle_minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
From past experience, they won't let us know until it is ready. They tend to keep their cards close to their chest until they are set to go.

I suppose that they also need to do a lot of co-ordination among the different parts of the Kobo world; ensure that if Touch needs a new version of Desktop that the new version will work properly with all other devices and likewise for the Web site.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
ZombWii
Enthusiast
ZombWii began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Meh...I'm enjoying my KT well enough but it's been too quiet. I don't think any new features are coming, although a couple of last firmware tweaks would be welcome.

I'm gonna call it, new E-ink reader announced in the next 30 days.

The Kobo Touch Squared...twice as fast...twice as much memory...Android
based OS...apps...direct from Overdrive library borrowing...integrated Pulse feature and expanded Trophys/Awards. Basically a beefed up Sony Reader but with Kobo character and emphasis on Social Reading.
ZombWii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
From past experience, they won't let us know until it is ready. They tend to keep their cards close to their chest until they are set to go.

I suppose that they also need to do a lot of co-ordination among the different parts of the Kobo world; ensure that if Touch needs a new version of Desktop that the new version will work properly with all other devices and likewise for the Web site.
PeterT is a hundred percent correct here. But they will drop a line here if and when a new release is. For the most part my KT performs quite well. Although it still has Micro SD card issues, and I know Kobo is working on that issue. So hopefully soon. As to if we need or want social media on the KT announcing our every read and page turn, I for one do not care for it at all.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombWii View Post
Meh...I'm enjoying my KT well enough but it's been too quiet. I don't think any new features are coming, although a couple of last firmware tweaks would be welcome.

I'm gonna call it, new E-ink reader announced in the next 30 days.

The Kobo Touch Squared...twice as fast...twice as much memory...Android
based OS...apps...direct from Overdrive library borrowing...integrated Pulse feature and expanded Trophys/Awards. Basically a beefed up Sony Reader but with Kobo character and emphasis on Social Reading.
I don't think that's very likely. The Kobo Touch has all the hardware of the newest reading devices.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
voom
Just me :)
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

I think this year we will begin to see technology like Mirasol-Displays in the next generation of E-Readers and Tablets (the gap between these device-classes will probably diminish)... The best of both worlds eInk and LED...
voom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by voom View Post
...The best of both worlds eInk and LED...
Could you imagine reading on an OLED screen? It would burn the eyes right out of your head...
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
voom
Just me :)
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say... Mirasol is a completely new technology using reflection, little mirrors; it's fast as LED, it's full color - but it uses the surrounding light in the day or with an external lightsource, with the option to switch on an internal backlight in darkness... Full color and videocapable, significantly less poweruse due to not emitting light itself, extremely high contrast for black / white reading without glare, good to read in the sunlight as it naturally reflects more light the brighter the environment is, but capable of backlighting when needed. Sounds good to me if it works as advertised...
voom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Mirasol sounds good but are they available yet at reasonable price yet or are they pie in sky dream. One of the Ebooks for Russian schools was to use this display after factory was built in 2 years.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:26 AM   #11
alexul
Connoisseur
alexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura about

Device: PB 360, Kobo Touch
Right now a device with Mirasol display costs 300$ and they are avaible only in South Korea under the name Kyobo. So it's not a fortune, basically they are tablets having 1Gz processors, running Android but with a different kind of display. Event at this price they are not expensive but when they will begin to produce globally probably the price will drop.
alexul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #12
ZombWii
Enthusiast
ZombWii began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I don't think that's very likely. The Kobo Touch has all the hardware of the newest reading devices.
Not true.
E Ink Pearl is 2nd Gen... Triton which is only a few months younger is 3rd Gen. Both came out in 2010. It's time for Triton, or BEYOND.

Plus, a snappier processor would help too.

Given Kobo's historical product cycle (The Touch was announced late May of last year, so I may be a wee bit early), and the fact that they have new owners with deep pockets who probably want a flagship E-Ink device as they try to penetrate notoriously tech savvy Asia. Combined with the approach they took with the Vox (Android based, apps, Pulse) and how quiet it's gotten...I still think the Kobo gang are busy banging away at their next reader, not building any serious firmware for the Touch.

I'm just havin' fun here... I came up with some predictions.
You just poo-pooed on them...which is easy.
ZombWii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #13
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I think we're due for one more Firmware at least, if only to fix various pretty serious bugs in the latest firmware.
It wouldn't be good for Kobo's name to keep the KT hanging on 1.9.16 in the state it's in.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #14
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
I think we're due for one more Firmware at least, if only to fix various pretty serious bugs in the latest firmware.
It wouldn't be good for Kobo's name to keep the KT hanging on 1.9.16 in the state it's in.
we are not going to leaving you hanging
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #15
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
I think there will be more than just one more update. Have you seen what the plug-ins can do? Shelves, and Pulse is supposed to be coming (No, it's currently not in Beta testing).
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote