Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-22-2011, 12:43 AM   #1
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
List of Kindlets available

After spotting the thread regarding the developer.keystore file, I was curious just what Kindlets are out there. As such, I thought I'd make a thread for people to share ones they have made, found, or want made.

Official Kindlets (found on Amazon.com):

Amazon.com (Free Games)

Amazon.com (Kindle Games & Active Content)

Unofficial Kindlets (most found on this forum):

CoolReader 3 Runner for Kindle

Endless Book of Sudoku

K3MusicManager (A GUI music player that uses mplayer and/or kinamp)

Kalc

Kif (an interactive fiction / text adventure platform)

KindCalc (a calculator for the Kindle Touch only)

KindleChess Viewer

KindleChineseChess

KindleGoban Viewer

KindleNote (Note: the link to download it doesn't seem to work)

KindleTERM (a terminal emulator)

KindleVNC

Krosswords (a crosswords puzzle game for the Kindle Touch only)

Mangle (a manga reader)

Snakes

The following are Kindlet-like, but as they don't run via an '.azw2' file, they really aren't Kindlets:

K3Chess

pbchess

FYI, for those interested in writing their own Kindlets, here is that link: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=kindlet

Also, here is the link to the developer.keystore thread with the latest one that includes all of the Kindlets developer.keystore keys combined on this site: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152294 .

So if anybody knows of more, feel free to add them here.

Last edited by inameiname; 08-26-2012 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Added KindleChess Viewer and KindleGoban Viewer
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Don't forget that there are "official" kindlets too:
http://www.kindle-apps.net/2011/09/kindle-4-apps/
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Don't forget that there are "official" kindlets too:
http://www.kindle-apps.net/2011/09/kindle-4-apps/
Oh sure, sure. I forgot to add that bit in my initial post. Thank you for sharing, geekmaster.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Don't forget kif (an interactive fiction / text adventure platform).
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
inameiname
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanga View Post
Don't forget kif (an interactive fiction / text adventure platform).
Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks to inameiname and tomass it is now possible to use these Kindlets without USBNetworking. There is a step-by-step method here. Thanks again guys!

Last edited by Tanga; 01-06-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
inameiname
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanga View Post
Thanks to inameiname and tomass it is now possible to use these Kindlets without USBNetworking. There is a step-by-step method here. Thanks again guys!
Awww, you are just too sweet, Ms. Tanga. I'll be sure to keep in mind there is a real gem down under whenever I trek to your neck of the woods in the Southern Hemisphere.

Anyway, Launchpad is indeed a great gift to everybody's Kindles. Not just for easily running Kindlets, but all sorts of stuff. I have an insane number of things in my Launchpad folder, as well as what I install using a customizations_install.sh script (which adds the developer.keystore keys as well as many of tweaks I found on here), all in one sweep. And while I still keep USBNetwork installed, and use myts, Kindle terminal, which can do the same thing, I prefer this method.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by inameiname View Post
I have an insane number of things in my Launchpad folder, as well as what I install using a customizations_install.sh script (which adds the developer.keystore keys as well as many of tweaks I found on here), all in one sweep.
Could you share this script?
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
inameiname
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Could you share this script?
Sure. It is actually just a composite of several of the hacks that usually require the USBNetwork hack to perform, that I have adapted into individual scripts to easily install via a Launchpad shortcut, all in one. Kindlet apps/games keystore, Screensavers Hack (remove ad-sponsored banner and screensavers), Kindlesec Hack (disable Amazon.com logging), Search Indexing Disabling/Enabling Hack, K3MusicManager, and ReadabilityMod are all included in it. And as for all that is in my Launchpad folder, I just keep one huge ini file with shortcuts to all that I have, which is basically most of the programs/games found on this site.

customizations.ini
Code:
[Actions]

; Customizations (Kindlet apps/games, Remove ad-sponsored banner/screensavers, Disable Amazon.com logging, Search Indexing disabling, K3MusicManager, ReadabilityMod)
C I = !source /mnt/us/launchpad/customizations_install.sh
C U = !source /mnt/us/launchpad/customizations_uninstall.sh
customizations_install.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh

##################################################
# Check to see if Customization Hacks are already#
# installed and in use			 	 #

if [ -f /mnt/us/.customizations_installed ]

then

echo "Customizations are already installed"

else

# Add /mnt/us/.customizations_installed file 	 #

touch /mnt/us/.customizations_installed

# Actual Hacks					 #

###### Kindlet apps/games keystore
	# backup the old one if exist:
	if [ -f /var/local/java/keystore/developer.keystore ]
	then
		cp /var/local/java/keystore/developer.keystore /mnt/us/launchpad/developer.keystore.bkp_orig
	fi
	# move the new one and keep a backup of it, just in case:
	if [ -f /mnt/us/launchpad/developer.keystore ]
	then
		cp /mnt/us/launchpad/developer.keystore /var/local/java/keystore/
		mv /mnt/us/launchpad/developer.keystore /mnt/us/launchpad/developer.keystore.bkp
	fi

###### Screensavers Hack (remove ad-sponsored banner and screensavers)
	/etc/init.d/framework stop
	if [ -d /var/local/adunits ]
	then
		mv /var/local/adunits /var/local/adunits.bkp
		touch /var/local/adunits
	fi
	/etc/init.d/framework start

###### Kindlesec Hack (disable Amazon.com logging)
	if [ -d /mnt/us/.kindlesec/ ]
	then
		rmdir -r /mnt/us/.kindlesec/
		mkdir /mnt/us/.kindlesec/
	fi
	if [ -f /usr/sbin/syslog-ng ]
	then
		cp /usr/sbin/syslog-ng /mnt/us/.kindlesec/
	fi
	if [ -f /usr/sbin/loginfo ]
	then
		cp /usr/sbin/loginfo /mnt/us/.kindlesec/
	fi
	if [ -f /usr/sbin/tinyrot ]
	then
		cp /usr/sbin/tinyrot /mnt/us/.kindlesec/
	fi
	if [ -f /usr/bin/showlog ]
	then
		cp /usr/bin/showlog /mnt/us/.kindlesec/
	fi
	mntroot rw
	ln -s -b /dev/null /usr/sbin/syslog-ng
	ln -s -b /dev/null /usr/sbin/loginfo
	ln -s -b /dev/null /usr/sbin/tinyrot
	ln -s -b /dev/null /usr/bin/showlog

###### Search Indexing Disabling/Enabling Hack
	if [ -f /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh ]
	then
		cp /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh.bkp
		sed -i 's/-DENABLE_SEARCH_INDEXING_THREAD=true/-DENABLE_SEARCH_INDEXING_THREAD=false/' /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh
	fi

###### K3MusicManager
	# backup the old one if exist:
	if [ -f /opt/amazon/ebook/security/external.policy ]
	then
		cp /opt/amazon/ebook/security/external.policy /mnt/us/launchpad/external.policy.bkp_orig
	fi
	# move the new one and keep a backup of it, just in case:
	if [ -f /mnt/us/launchpad/external.policy ]
	then
		cp /mnt/us/launchpad/external.policy /opt/amazon/ebook/security/
		mv /mnt/us/launchpad/external.policy /mnt/us/launchpad/external.policy.bkp
	fi

###### ReadabilityMod
	# backup the old ones if exist:
	if [ -f /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.css ]
	then
		mv /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.css /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.css.bkp
	fi
	if [ -f /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.js ]
	then
		mv /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.js /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.js.bkp
	fi
	# copy the new ones:
	if [ -f /mnt/us/launchpad/readability_min_utf16.css ]
	then
		cp /mnt/us/launchpad/readability_min_utf16.css /usr/share/browser/readability/
	fi
	if [ -f /mnt/us/launchpad/readability_min_utf16.js ]
	then
		cp /mnt/us/launchpad/readability_min_utf16.js /usr/share/browser/readability/
	fi
	mntroot ro

fi

exit
customizations_uninstall.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Check to see if Customization Hacks are already#
# installed and in use			 	 #

if [ -f /mnt/us/.customizations_installed ]

then

# Add /mnt/us/.customizations_installed file 	 #

rm /mnt/us/.customizations_installed

# Actual Hacks					 #

###### Kindlet apps/games keystore
	# remove new one and its backup:
	mv /var/local/java/keystore/developer.keystore /mnt/us/launchpad/
	rm /mnt/us/launchpad/developer.keystore.bkp
	# restore the old one if exist:
	if [ -f /mnt/us/launchpad/developer.keystore.bkp_orig ]
	then
		mv /mnt/us/launchpad/developer.keystore.bkp_orig /var/local/java/keystore/developer.keystore
	fi

###### Screensavers Hack (remove ad-sponsored banner and screensavers)
	/etc/init.d/framework stop
	rm /var/local/adunits
	if [ -d /var/local/adunits.bkp ]
	then
		mv /var/local/adunits.bkp /var/local/adunits
	fi
	/etc/init.d/framework start

###### Kindlesec Hack (disable Amazon.com logging)
	mntroot rw
	mv /usr/sbin/syslog-ng~ /usr/sbin/syslog-ng
	mv /usr/sbin/loginfo~ /usr/sbin/loginfo
	mv /usr/sbin/tinyrot~ /usr/sbin/tinyrot
	mv /usr/bin/showlog~ /usr/bin/showlog

###### Search Indexing Disabling/Enabling Hack
	sed -i 's/-DENABLE_SEARCH_INDEXING_THREAD=false/-DENABLE_SEARCH_INDEXING_THREAD=true/' /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh
	rm /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh.bkp

###### K3MusicManager
	# remove new one and its backup:
	mv /opt/amazon/ebook/security/external.policy /mnt/us/launchpad/
	rm /mnt/us/launchpad/external.policy.bkp
	# restore the old one if exist:
	if [ -f /mnt/us/launchpad/external.policy.bkp_orig ]
	then
		mv /mnt/us/launchpad/external.policy.bkp_orig /opt/amazon/ebook/security/external.policy
	fi

###### ReadabilityMod
	# restore the old ones:
	rm /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.css
	rm /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.js
	mv /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.css.bkp /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.css
	mv /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.js.bkp /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.js
	mntroot ro

else

echo "Customizations are not installed, so nothing to remove"

fi

exit
What would be ideal is to figure out how to incorporate all of the hacks that use a install.bin/uninstall.bin file to install/uninstall, into this script (Well, aside from having to install the Jailbreak hack, and then the Launchpad Hack, first). I looked into it, but haven't figured out how to yet. It would be grande to make it as easy as a script to install/uninstall the Font Hack, the Picture Album Viewer Fullscreen Hack, the USBNetwork Hack, the Usertts Hack, and even the Custom Screensavers Hack as well.
Attached Files
File Type: zip customizations_ini_and_scripts.zip (42.3 KB, 442 views)

Last edited by inameiname; 04-10-2012 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Updated so won't cause trouble if accidentally tried to install when already installed (thanks hfpop for mentioning this)
Old 01-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inameiname View Post
Sure.
Thanks
Old 01-09-2012, 05:45 AM   #11
inameiname
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Thanks
You're welcome.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
hornpipe2
hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Amazon Kindle
K3Chess, KindleVNC and pbchess aren't Kindlets (.azw2), they must be installed through .bin instead and are C apps... double check me here.
hornpipe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #13
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornpipe2 View Post
K3Chess, KindleVNC and pbchess aren't Kindlets (.azw2), they must be installed through .bin instead and are C apps... double check me here.
bin file installs only keystore file for KindleVNC and copies azw2 to documents folder. If you installed merged keystore, you can use attached azw2 for KindleVNC

However K3Chess uses qtKindle
Attached Files
File Type: zip KindleVNC.zip (219.1 KB, 431 views)

Last edited by thomass; 01-28-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #14
hornpipe2
hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Amazon Kindle
In that case, the list should be modified above:
* Scratch k3chess
* Scratch pbchess
and
* Add kindlechess ( http://github.com/apetresc/KindleChess )
* Add kindlegoban ( http://github.com/apetresc/KindleGoban )
* Add Mangle ( http://adq.livejournal.com/109911.html )
* Add KindleTERM ( http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=107192 )
hornpipe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #15
inameiname
Groupie

Out of request by the author, LittleLui, I added his Kindlet, Krosswords , to this list of Kindlets available.

Currently, it is for the Kindle Touch only.

Unfortunately, I do not have a Kindle Touch to be able to share how good/bad it is. But it looks cool on the website. So if anybody else is interested and feels like it, I'm sure we would all be grateful to get a review on it sometime by those who have a Kindle Touch.

Oh, and it requires the latest keystore keys.

Last edited by inameiname; 02-10-2012 at 01:58 PM.