Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
Disabling the boot animation

Hi,

I've been trying to stop the boot animation from showing, but for now without any luck. The problem is I don't know how it's started. I've been looking in the init.d folder but can't find anything there. Also looked a bit at the kernel code, but not sure where to search for this code. Does anyone perhaps have any pointers?

The ultimate goal is to have the DR shutdown and boot without updating the screen, to make it more book-like. I have the shutdown process figured out, but I'm stuck on the boot animation.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Best regards,

Roderick
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:53 AM   #2
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvs View Post
Hi,

I've been trying to stop the boot animation from showing, but for now without any luck. The problem is I don't know how it's started. I've been looking in the init.d folder but can't find anything there. Also looked a bit at the kernel code, but not sure where to search for this code. Does anyone perhaps have any pointers?

The ultimate goal is to have the DR shutdown and boot without updating the screen, to make it more book-like. I have the shutdown process figured out, but I'm stuck on the boot animation.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Best regards,

Roderick
I guess boot image is inside /boot/zImage-2.6.24-irex file, so you'd need to unpackage that file to control boot process.
Sadly enough it doesn't look like any known format.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:28 AM   #3
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
The spinner animation is in the Linux video driver (/drivers/video/irex/delta.c). The splash screen is shown by the bootloader though.
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks Iņigo and Gertjan,

Rebuilding the kernel without the animation seems doable, but changing the bootloader setup sounds a bit risky to experiment with.

I did poke around a bit though. If I'm correct the DR uses RedBoot as a bootloader and /dev/mtd2 as the location to store the Redboot config. If I dd /dev/mtd2 I get something like:

Code:
boot_script
delta init
delta waves
delta erase 15
delta image
ifwarm fis load kernel
ifwarm exec -c "console=ttymxc0 deltainit=1 root=/dev/mtdblock5 rootfstype=jffs2"
fis load kernel_recovery
exec -c "console=ttymxc0 deltainit=1"
I'm guessing one would have to remove "delta image" and "delta erase 15" to start without the splash screen? I have no idea how to do this safely though.

Edit: I tried editing the Redboot config using dd, but it seems to be read-only...

Last edited by rvs; 06-25-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
rvs
Groupie

I didn't manage to change the bootloader (and also skipped the kernel), but I have found a pretty usable workaround.

I now make a screenshot on shutdown and use this screenshot in an init.d script. It now takes about 15 seconds before the screenshot shows up, not what I was looking for, but still a substantial upgrade from the >1 minute it usually takes to boot.

Interestingly, the real boot time also seems to decrease by about 12 seconds.

There's only one possibly large downside: the screenshot (>1 MB) is written to the internal memory everytime the DR shuts down, possibly reducing the lifetime of the device.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvs View Post
I didn't manage to change the bootloader (and also skipped the kernel), but I have found a pretty usable workaround.

I now make a screenshot on shutdown and use this screenshot in an init.d script. It now takes about 15 seconds before the screenshot shows up, not what I was looking for, but still a substantial upgrade from the >1 minute it usually takes to boot.

Interestingly, the real boot time also seems to decrease by about 12 seconds.

There's only one possibly large downside: the screenshot (>1 MB) is written to the internal memory everytime the DR shuts down, possibly reducing the lifetime of the device.
that's interesting, could you please explain exactly us what you did ?
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:57 AM   #7
rvs
Groupie

It's a bit more involved than my previous post might make it seem.

You can make a screenshot simply by copying the framebuffer to a file (e.g. cat /dev/fb0 > /usr/share/screenshot.raw). To copy the screenshot back into the framebuffer you do the reverse and do a screen update. For the screen update I made a slightly modified version of the "blank" executable.

Then it's a matter of modifying and creating /etc/init.d scripts (in particular the "blank" script) and changing the Irex firmware (the hardest part) to stop updating the screen on boot and shutdown and create the screenshot on shutdown.

The reason I copy the screenshot to the internal memory is because the sd-card isn't mounted yet when the init scripts run. I tried mounting the sd-card myself in an init script, but it failed for some reason.

If you're really interested and have a developer environment I can post the sources as soon as I've worked out the kinks and cleaned up the code a bit (there are still a few bugs, one of which is that it won't boot on the qemu ).

Last edited by rvs; 07-28-2011 at 07:00 AM.