Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-21-2020, 09:16 PM   #1
KittyNin
KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
What to go to from Kindle PW2?

I'm considering upgrading from my 7 year old kindle paperwhite 2.

Things I dislike or don't use about it:

- Managing collections is a Dante's Inferno-esque punishment
- Collections cannot be nested
- I have never once bought a book from the device itself. I only sideload things.
- Sick of ads for cheesy romance novels and the whole amazon experience in general.
- Sometimes it just does things that I don't understand - like a few books it insists are 'documents' and won't show a cover for and it refuses to be convinced otherwise, and the constant reappearance of clippings and dictionaries, which I neither want nor use.

Thinks I want:
- E-ink with backlight
- Most control over the device's behavior possible.
- That's it, I just want to read in bed without eyestrain and frustration. I'd love an open-source option, but that doesn't seem to exist.

Recommendations for devices to look at?
KittyNin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:42 PM   #2
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
The natural replacement for Your device is the Kindle Paperwhite 4, but if You are not satisfied with collections and, in general, You want more control over Your device You could try a Kobo.

All recent Kobo (Clara, Forma and Libra) have the comfort light, collections can't be nested but a book can belong to several collections and they can be handled by calibre that has excellent metadata handling on Kobo.

And finally You can patch Your Kobo and/or install on it KOReader because also if it is not open source it is not routed.

My experience is limited to the devices on my profile, so I can't say if there is something that fit Your needs better than a Kobo but may be not. At the end there are other factors to consider that You did not mention: the size (larger is better for eyes but not for portability) and the cost are of course very important.

Last edited by ps67; 02-21-2020 at 11:48 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2020, 06:15 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
If the Kindle is still registered on Amazon, even if it's dead, then you can download from Amazon via PC for USB transfer, referencing that Kindle.

Then import the File to Calibre after installing a plug in from Apprentice Alf.

Buy a Kobo Libra. It's 7", has front light with warmth adjustment (no eink is backlight). Collections work, annotations are better than the Kindle.

The PW 4 seems less bright than the PW3 with the front light off. I've tried PW4, and own a PW3. I have the Kobo H2O original and and the Kobo Libra. IMO both are better than PW3 or PW4. The Aura is 6", but no page turn buttons, and here is the same price as the Libra. The Forma costs about €100 more here and the 8" size means less jacket pockets suit.

I found no reason to jailbreak/patch either Kobo, but I did the Jailbreak on my DXG (B009), though not on the older Kindle Keyboard (B008).

Last edited by Quoth; 02-22-2020 at 06:17 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:52 AM   #4
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
I agree with Quoth. Get a Kobo Libra. I started out with Kindles, Kindle Keyboard through Oasis 2...and I’ve switched to Kobo, and also tried the Touch HD3. For me, the Libra is my current sweet spot, for capabilities and size. (Getting older eyes, like the screen real estate).

I still like my Voyage for some situations, but it’s not the one I grab first anymore, because of the comfort light. Battery life is good, and if you side load anyway, it doesn’t matter. You will of course have to convert your books to ePub (or Kepub), but that’s easy with Calibre.

If the 7” size isn’t your cuppa tea, and want to stick with 6”, then get the Kobo ClaraHD. Not waterproof, no buttons, but it would be similar size to the paperwhite, if that’s your sweet spot for holding something.
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:23 PM   #5
KittyNin
KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Thanks for the thoughts, all. I did just mean "with a light" as opposed to backlit (most of my reading is in bed). Still unsure if I'm going to replace the thing or attempt to jailbreak it. Physically, the device is perfect, it's the software annoyances and some weird problems I'm having with it that have got me fed up.

Are the kobo devices sold in stores anywhere that I would be able to physically take a look at the thing and see how it feels in the hand?

Last edited by KittyNin; 02-26-2020 at 01:26 PM.
KittyNin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2020, 02:17 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyNin View Post
Thanks for the thoughts, all. I did just mean "with a light" as opposed to backlit (most of my reading is in bed). Still unsure if I'm going to replace the thing or attempt to jailbreak it. Physically, the device is perfect, it's the software annoyances and some weird problems I'm having with it that have got me fed up.

Are the kobo devices sold in stores anywhere that I would be able to physically take a look at the thing and see how it feels in the hand?
Some walmarts might have some kobo models.

Which firmware version is your paperwhite running?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:42 AM   #7
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
You have cheesy ads because you have a kindle "with special offers" Contact Amazon (or just do this on the site) to remove them - you may have to pay a small fee.

Clippings can't be removed - it's a txt doc which keeps track of your highlights, bookmarks, etc. The dict is doing no harm, just don't use it.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote