Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many shops have you bought ebooks from?
None. (I use the library and/or Public Domain and/or freebies) 4 3.51%
1 (Why bother with more than 1?) 8 7.02%
2 (The best of both) 7 6.14%
3-5 (Why stop at two?) 37 32.46%
6-20 (I've been buying a long time) 40 35.09%
20+ (A really long time) 13 11.40%
The Blue one next to the Fish 5 4.39%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
I voted 3-5, but the correct answer is more likely 6-20. The thing is, I'm not sure.

Most are from Kobo, but some are from individual publishers, some comics from Comixology, at least one academic book from Cambridge University Press...

Do free ebooks count? I'm not sure I ever bought a Tor ebook, but I do get their monthly freebies.
Free books do not count. Just the ones you've paid for count.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:14 PM   #62
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
I am surprised that there are not more 20+ responses. In “olden days” I would buy books that I wanted/needed any place I found them as along as the price was good and I had a device with the software to read them. I also bought many professional reference books and textbooks from publishers who had their own apps.

I have had my memory jogged a couple of times by sources others have mentioned. How many of you bought from Pottermore? Microsoft, Books a Million, Mobipocket, any of the “Bundle” sources (not just Humble)?
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2020, 05:24 PM   #63
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mims View Post
I am surprised that there are not more 20+ responses. In “olden days” I would buy books that I wanted/needed any place I found them as along as the price was good and I had a device with the software to read them. I also bought many professional reference books and textbooks from publishers who had their own apps.

I have had my memory jogged a couple of times by sources others have mentioned. How many of you bought from Pottermore? Microsoft, Books a Million, Mobipocket, any of the “Bundle” sources (not just Humble)?
Now that you mentioned it, yep bought from Pottermore.

Didn't even know Microsoft had its own store. My LIT books all came from BooksOnBoard, Fictionwise or Harlequin. Didn't know Books a Million had an ebook store, either.

I did buy several ebooks from O'Reilly as well as Math and Engineering textbooks from two other sources (I forget what they were). I believe I'm still under 20, though.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:33 PM   #64
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Many places are gone. Amazon has 90%.
Most publishers don't sell direct (we removed it too)
Even Google struggles to sell much variety via Google Books/Playstore. So we upload to Amazon and Smashwords. Smashwords means our books are on Kobo, Tolino, Apple, Nook too. Smashwords also sell to libraries / Overdrive I think, we've had sales to all that Smashwords distribute to except libraries. We never sold any on Google, nor direct. About 2/3rds are via Amazon.

So I'd expect majority of more recent readers to buy 1 source only, Amazon mostly (90%) or the ePub ereader associated shop, and then next group 2 to 3 shops (maybe some Kindle owners from Smashwords and people with Nook, Tolino or Kobo sometimes from associated shop and maybe Smashwords).

I bought an ereader about seven years ago purely to read PD Gutenberg. The niche publishing for half a dozen people was later. I've bought very few ebooks compared to paper since. Only were there was a big discount or it wasn't on paper. Only from Smashwords and Amazon.

It's very sad. Partly the idiocy of the big publishers not having 100% of their titles on eBook and POD on their own portal and better ebook pricing. Supermarket mass market paper is cheaper than ebooks from same publishers!

Last edited by Quoth; 01-09-2020 at 05:36 PM. Reason: paper
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:34 PM   #65
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

No Pottermore (not a fan of Harry Potter), no Microsoft or BAM either (they only sell ebooks in the US). No Mobipocket (was still reading paper books back then). Even so, there are over 50 places I've bought ebooks from.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2020, 06:49 PM   #66
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I went with 5-6 Purchased from B&N, Google Play, Gutenberg. Amazon, and bought one Kobo book. There must be more but I can't remember who or when. I've solved this dilemma by just buying from Amazon. One stop shopping for books works for me now.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:22 AM   #67
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
Sony, Amazon, Verso, Pluto press, as far I remmember
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:08 AM   #68
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
This thread brought back memories. I started with a Garmin iQue M5. It was a PDA with Pocket PC. I bought LIT books from Fictionwise and Amazon (pre-Kindle). When the M5 died I got an iPod touch. I thought Stanza and Fictionwise would be all I ever needed. My how times have changed.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
This thread brought back memories. I started with a Garmin iQue M5. It was a PDA with Pocket PC. I bought LIT books from Fictionwise and Amazon (pre-Kindle). When the M5 died I got an iPod touch. I thought Stanza and Fictionwise would be all I ever needed. My how times have changed.
And eventually, Amazon decided to stop selling eBooks which meant that anyone that needed to download again to update the DRM could not do so because when Amazon stopped selling the eBooks, they also took the purchased eBooks away from the customers. So Amazon screwed over many many people at the time.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:10 PM   #70
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
I've remembered several other vendors I used to buy from. If possible, please update my response to 6-20.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:16 PM   #71
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
Do free ebooks count? I'm not sure I ever bought a Tor ebook, but I do get their monthly freebies.
For myself, I did not count freebies or 1 off purchases. Otherwise, I was going to ask for a new category -- 100+
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:41 PM   #72
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And eventually, Amazon decided to stop selling eBooks which meant that anyone that needed to download again to update the DRM could not do so because when Amazon stopped selling the eBooks, they also took the purchased eBooks away from the customers. So Amazon screwed over many many people at the time.
Yes, they got me the first time, I was slower to bite the second tlme. Now, like a lot of others, they are routinely my first choice.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:47 PM   #73
Mims
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Now that you mentioned it, yep bought from Pottermore.

Didn't even know Microsoft had its own store. My LIT books all came from BooksOnBoard, Fictionwise or Harlequin. Didn't know Books a Million had an ebook store, either.

I did buy several ebooks from O'Reilly as well as Math and Engineering textbooks from two other sources (I forget what they were). I believe I'm still under 20, though.

Yes, Microsoft had it’s own store. Anybody remember the summer of free books when they started. Alas, I lost most of my books from them because they folded at an inconvenient time in my life. I ignored their redux. RIP
Old 01-11-2020, 07:00 AM   #74
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:

If I recall, when the Harry Potter eBooks first came out, you purchased on Pottermore, then they showed up in your Content list on your kindle.

As I mentioned in my original post, I bought from a number of author sites (Pottermore is one). I also purchased one or two books from a number of other bookstores just to try them out. I was assuming the intent was to find out how many eBook stores people seriously frequented, rather than one offs.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:23 AM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
If I recall, when the Harry Potter eBooks first came out, you purchased on Pottermore, then they showed up in your Content list on your kindle.

As I mentioned in my original post, I bought from a number of author sites (Pottermore is one). I also purchased one or two books from a number of other bookstores just to try them out. I was assuming the intent was to find out how many eBook stores people seriously frequented, rather than one offs.
But, if we didn't include one-offs, then that would skew the results and make them incorrect.