Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
jleslie48
jleslie48 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle with a keyboard
why does Calibre ignore the single most useful metadata flag?

The most universal metadata flag in all of computers, in all publications for that matter is THE NAME OF THE FILE. Why in heaven's name won't Calibre work and expose the filename as a mechanism for organizing my books? It is very frustrating. I have a 30 year history of organizing MY FILES by MY DIRECTORY AND SUB-DIRECTORY methods, and I am sick and tired of book readers, and music players, and picture libraries, etc that refuse to JUST USE THE FILENAME.

The file name IS METADATA. It is the MOST IMPORTANT METADATA there is, and as such should be at least available through the GUI.

Calibre does not live in a vacume on my computer. I have collections of photographs, of Word documents, of Excel spreadsheets, CAD drawings, all kinds of stuff. However smart Calibre "thinks" it is about organizing stuff, if its not the way I want it organized, ITS A POS.

I cannot think of a reason Calibre enforces/does not allow users to organize things the way they want. Can someone explain why Calibre does this?
Old 12-31-2019, 02:54 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Preferences -> Adding books -> uncheck the box "Read metadata from file contents rather than file name".

That option will give you the file name instead of a book title as set by the publisher.

Last edited by Sirtel; 12-31-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Advert
Old 12-31-2019, 02:57 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
See https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...tory-structure

The GetFileName File Type plugin will store the original file name (path) in the database, see Index of plugins

And there's an extensive set of CLI tools (including conversion) that don't need a calibre library, see https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/#th...line-interface

BR
Old 12-31-2019, 03:08 PM   #4
jleslie48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Preferences -> Adding books -> uncheck the box "Read metadata from file contents rather than file name".

That option will give you the file name instead of a book title as set by the publisher.
thank you. I will try this when I get home.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:24 PM   #5
jleslie48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I just read that. What a bunch of arrogant nonsense. What kind of ego do you have to have to think you have a better way of organizing things than what I have been doing for the past 30+ years? I am so angry and programmers that think like this. I've been dealing and correcting this exact kind of garbage for 30 years. You would think that by their own acknowledgement "Just so we’re clear, this is not going to change. Kindly do not contact us in an attempt to get us to change this." would give these fools some indication that their "I know better than you" attitude is patently wrong.

What good is it organizing files xyz way in Calibre but not the rest of my life? The way to organize things is the way that makes sense TO YOU. Look at how that FAQ is written: do it our way, your gonna like it our way, your way is bad,.... bla,bla,bla. What complete arrogance. I find their attitude disgusting and wrong. I've got dozens and dozens of DVD/CD's of books, and movies, and music, all cataloged perfectly the way I like and now I have to do it your way.

THE TAIL DOES NOT WAG THE DOG.
Advert
Old 12-31-2019, 03:58 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleslie48 View Post
<snip>

. . . all cataloged perfectly the way I like and now I have to do it your way.
Bullshit, which law mandates that you have to use calibre.

Moderator Notice
Thread closed

BR
Old 12-31-2019, 04:33 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I know it's a locked thread but there are other options out there. Take a look at https://www.alfaebooks.com for instance.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread