Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-20-2016, 02:40 PM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Keeping encrypted info from your mother is probably easy. Keeping encrypted info from a child almost impossible.
Most of them have been using devices since before they could talk.
I was reminded of that just yesterday.
Talking to a neighbor (a few years older than I), who I am trying to talk into a "large" screen cell phone -

I told him that cell phones and I parted ways back in '86, about when they started getting small enough to lose.

And then I thought to myself, "self that is 30 years ago", or two generations of 'new' electronic device users (if that first generation had discovered them when they started school).

= = = =

And then a few weeks ago, another neighbor (this one barely old enough to vote) needed a data cable for his cell phone. . . .
And went to great lengths to explain the difference between mini and micro USB connectors.
? ? ? ? ?

What generation does he think implemented/introduced all the electronic cr** they carry in their pockets?

- - - - -

Much to his surprise, I was able to find the cable he needed (in the back of my '84 Ford van ).
I didn't mention where I found it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:17 PM   #17
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I was reminded of that just yesterday.
Talking to a neighbor (a few years older than I), who I am trying to talk into a "large" screen cell phone -

I told him that cell phones and I parted ways back in '86, about when they started getting small enough to lose.

And then I thought to myself, "self that is 30 years ago", or two generations of 'new' electronic device users (if that first generation had discovered them when they started school).

= = = =

And then a few weeks ago, another neighbor (this one barely old enough to vote) needed a data cable for his cell phone. . . .
And went to great lengths to explain the difference between mini and micro USB connectors.
? ? ? ? ?

What generation does he think implemented/introduced all the electronic cr** they carry in their pockets?

- - - - -

Much to his surprise, I was able to find the cable he needed (in the back of my '84 Ford van ).
I didn't mention where I found it.
I must say I reached the point 2 semesters ago where I told my mother if you are having trouble with your tablet (ok mom your little computer)(she thinks it is a computer because it has a keyboard. The keyboard detaches.) take it to college with you and find someone your granddaughter's age to help. Same idea with her TI-84 calculator.
Neither case is I can't use one. It is that I don't own either one and am too far away to try and explain over the phone.

Now I dearly love geeking my daughter. One day she texted to ask a random question that pertained to nothing.
I texted back "My name is not HAL."
She supposedly majored in computers when she went to college.
I think she majored in going to the library and only doing the work in classes she liked. One example would be website design. The professor wanted 3 links. My daughter did 150. Care to guess how she did in her other classes that semester.

Now what cord or adapter did you need? I probably have it.
Heck we once connected a reel to reel to a computer.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2016, 06:20 AM   #18
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Ok i made this script
It will hide all the books with the "h_" prefix in their name.

It is still not perfect, but for me now is enough

Installation:

Code:
mntroot rw
mv /usr/bin/logThis.sh /usr/bin/logThis.bak
extract the archive, copy the script in /usr/bin/ for example by scp, then:

Code:
chmod 755 /usr/bin/logThis.sh
mntroot ro
Usage:

for hiding, in the search bar type:
Code:
;log h passw
for showing, in the search bar type:
Code:
;log s passw
Password for now are stored in the script, change them as you like.
In the next version i'll use encrypted password stored somewhere

log is created in documents folder (HideBooks.log)
PS: thanks to knc1 for his support
Attached Files
File Type: zip logThis.zip (704 Bytes, 186 views)

Last edited by encol; 05-21-2016 at 10:31 AM.
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:02 AM   #19
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
I'd move the encryption to the suspend script. Manually hiding it every time may be easy to forget.
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #20
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes but i want to ask for a password
Advert
Old 05-21-2016, 10:14 AM   #21
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Will you please let us know if your method actually works?
I mean the preventing children from seeing part. I have faith in your code.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:19 AM   #22
encol
Evangelist

yes it works, but i'm working to enhance it: actually password are stored as clear text inside the script, in the next version i want to store (encrypted) somewhere
Old 05-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #23
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
yes it works, but i'm working to enhance it: actually password are stored as clear text inside the script, in the next version i want to store (encrypted) somewhere
;log s pass # show
;log h pass # hide
;log n old-pass new-pass # maybe? With a hard-coded pass only for initial install, new password stored encrypted somewhere (/var/local/etc/bookpass would be a good place - /var/local persists across Amazon updates).

Note:
Since it needs to touch the system image files -
This should be packaged with KindleTool (and model locked to Kindle5) -
There is a sample update_*.bin included with KindleTool as an example.
update_*.bin packages can contain any scripting required to install/un-install (and run as root).

Note:
For new packages, always use the most recent KindleTool in NiLuJe's snapshots threads - its model coverage is the most complete.

Hmm....
I don't think the Kindle can index or display an aes-256 encrypted book -
Maybe the KOreader people will pick up on this feature.
This would also be a good addition to Aries KindleMenu (with its information storage applications - whose data files would be good things to encrypt).

Last edited by knc1; 05-21-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:38 AM   #24
encol
Evangelist

maybe, i'm thinking about the best way to store it. Perhaps a key pair?
Old 05-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #25
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
Thinking about it, the ';log n new-pass new-pass' command should be the 1st one. Then the books should be encrypted. ';log h xxx' should simply delete the plain books [easy and fast] while ';log s xxx' would restore them. No need to store the password if it's used as the not-really-safe de-/encryption key.
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:59 AM   #26
knc1
Going Viral

This is FAT-32 on flash -
You can't 'just delete' anything -
You need to securely over-write the file, truncate it to zero length, delete it, then send a 'trim' command to the eMMC.
(You can probably safely skip the 'trim' command part on a Kindle)

= = = =

Do you want Argon2 for your pass phrase handling? (I think I can cross-compile it for the Kindle).
It can do both (with a bit of scripting) -
verify input against the stored encrypted string then if verified, derive a (never stored anywhere) crypto key from the same input.

Last edited by knc1; 05-21-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #27
encol
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Do you want Argon2 for your pass phrase handling?
Yes any help is appreciated

Last edited by encol; 05-21-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:15 PM   #28
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
Yes any help is appreciated
This may or may not be quick to do -
The AutoTool setup is **intended** to support cross-compiling, but this will be the first I have tested it.

The autotool'd version isn't building and running its known value tests, but I can compare the ARM build's output with the Intel build's output (which does run/pass its known value tests).

So if it just compiles - it should 'just work'.
It should also use the Kindle's vector processor (NEON) - **should** - that part can be tricky to get to build.

All of the parts for NiLuJe's PW-3/development Kindle will not be here until Tuesday -
So I have a couple of days to get the passphrase -> crypto key thingy working (on ARM). I hope.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:34 PM   #29
encol
Evangelist

I updated the script, for a better password management.
It is based on a 2-password mechanism: one is used for crypt files (and is stored in a crypted file), the other is used to use the script (and is stored only in your mind )

let's say:

your_passwd: password for using the script
your_other_passwd: password for crypt/decrypt files

How to create the crypted password file (change your_passwd and your_other_passwd with the ones you like):

Code:
mkdir /var/local/etc
(if already does not exists)

then:

Code:
echo "OK, let's go;your_other_passwd"|openssl aes-256-cbc -out /var/local/etc/HideBooks.dat -e -pass pass:your_passwd

For the script installation and usage see instructions for the previous version, as soon as possible i'll bundle it in an update*.bin with KindleTool, as suggested
Attached Files
File Type: zip logThis.zip (824 Bytes, 162 views)
Old 05-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #30
knc1
Going Viral

Good thing you didn't wait for me.
I always over-estimate my available hobby time.