Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
List of annotated documents

I would really want a function that allows me to list all annotated documents, preferably sorted on time of annotation or only those documents that have not been merged (with xournal) yet (after the last annotation was made).
I would like to fit it into the current way of working, so selecting a view in the Home-screen that shows the documents that I want. However, the current views only use information that is available in global.db, the annotation information is available in the local metadata.db files of which there is one in each folder.
I was wondering if somebody already had a thought on this problem?
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
I would really want a function that allows me to list all annotated documents, preferably sorted on time of annotation or only those documents that have not been merged (with xournal) yet (after the last annotation was made).
I would like to fit it into the current way of working, so selecting a view in the Home-screen that shows the documents that I want. However, the current views only use information that is available in global.db, the annotation information is available in the local metadata.db files of which there is one in each folder.
I was wondering if somebody already had a thought on this problem?
Well, I think it is difficult with current CTB, because as you've said CTB only deals with global.db.
The simple solution would be to create a new different program to list these files.
Well, in fact it should be easy to add a new virtual folder for Navigator ;-)
To get all these files we should recursively walk all folders in SD and read metadata.db files.
Perhaps slow, but doable.

Iņigo
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
yuri_b
Connoisseur
yuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enough

Device: irex dr800sg DR1000S
I currently working to port last evince to dr800/1000, if it succeed, we could add another field into global.db => existing of annotation and add this view to ctb
yuri_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
I agree with yuri_b that the simplest solution would probably be to add one or more fields to global.db.

Offtopic: This is on my wishlist too. I'd also like to get a "Next annotation" function to skip from annotation to annotation within a book.
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvs View Post
Offtopic: This is on my wishlist too. I'd also like to get a "Next annotation" function to skip from annotation to annotation within a book.
But I'm afraid this is not currently possible with UDS as we don't have the sources...
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
yuri_b
Connoisseur
yuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enough

Thats why I'm working on port evince:
full sources, full control, support for pdf,djvu, easy way to add other formats like fb2,txt.
(It's not easy apparently becouse new evince depended on new libraries )
Old 10-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
But I'm afraid this is not currently possible with UDS as we don't have the sources...
Not fully no, but some limited functionality should be possible I think. There's a "go to page..." function and the pagenumbers for the annotations are stored in metadata.db. Combining these two could give the functionality I'm looking for, albeit in a limited way.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:38 AM   #8
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri_b View Post
I currently working to port last evince to dr800/1000, if it succeed, we could add another field into global.db => existing of annotation and add this view to ctb
I am not in favour of changing the fields in the global.db database, this would make it incompatible with the original firmware. I am currently thinking of (mis-)using the tag field.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:49 AM   #9
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
The latest xournal version (0.8) has a (command line) option to import only pages with annotations (Import Annotations Only). Although I see that it has some problems with the first page ...
If you have the latest dr-hackx installed, you should be able to use the Tools->Open With .. - CTB-menu on pdf documents. Select Annotations Only and xournal will only import those pages that have annotations (and an extra empty page as the first page ...).
Old 10-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
rvs
Groupie

Quote:
I am not in favour of changing the fields in the global.db database, this would make it incompatible with the original firmware. I am currently thinking of (mis-)using the tag field.
I didn't realize this. Can you explain how this makes it incompatible? My SQL skills are pretty limited, so it's not obvious to me. I'd think the new fields would simply be ignored by the original firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx
The latest xournal version (0.8) has a (command line) option to import only pages with annotations (Import Annotations Only). Although I see that it has some problems with the first page ...
If you have the latest dr-hackx installed, you should be able to use the Tools->Open With .. - CTB-menu on pdf documents. Select Annotations Only and xournal will only import those pages that have annotations (and an extra empty page as the first page ...).
I know, it's a great feature. Both features have merits of it's own I think. Sometimes I want to retain the full context when browsing through my notes.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #11
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
I didn't realize this. Can you explain how this makes it incompatible? My SQL skills are pretty limited, so it's not obvious to me. I'd think the new fields would simply be ignored by the original firmware.
My sql skills are also not good enough, that is why I do not want to touch it. Maybe you are right and extra fields can be added without disturbing the original firmware.

Quote:
I know, it's a great feature. Both features have merits of it's own I think. Sometimes I want to retain the full context when browsing through my notes.
So you want a 'jump to next annotation' in xournal?

An alternative would be to add (with an external script/program) a bookmark on every page that has an annotation. The PageBar at the bottom of UDS shows the bookmarks, so it would be easy to jump to them (if there are not too many).
Old 10-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #12
yuri_b
Connoisseur

Quote:
If you add new field with default value, this should be compatible with original firmware. IFAIK.

No, I don't want to be backward compatible, if you add new features and need a new fields/support for them in global.db -> why do not change database. I don't like some temporal fixes or hacks in favor of speed/simplicity.

Yura
Old 10-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #13
rvs
Groupie

Quote:
My sql skills are also not good enough, that is why I do not want to touch it. Maybe you are right and extra fields can be added without disturbing the original firmware.
It would make it a lot easier to have the features you'd like (sort on last annotated).

Quote:
So you want a 'jump to next annotation' in xournal?
Yes, except that I'd really like to use the native app I use xournal for conversion only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx
An alternative would be to add (with an external script/program) a bookmark on every page that has an annotation. The PageBar at the bottom of UDS shows the bookmarks, so it would be easy to jump to them (if there are not too many).
I thought about this too. It's not a bad alternative and even has an advantage over my solution. But I'd like to be able to continue normal use of bookmarks too. I'll probably end up wanting both alternatives