Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-24-2020, 11:23 PM   #1
Jaws
JCL Punch-Card Collector
Jaws began at the beginning.

Device: Aggressively Device Independent
Force Recalculation of "Size (MB)"?

Is there a way to force the "Size (MB)" column to recalculate? After resizing covers and polishing with compression turned on, the actual file size of an epub is less... but the "Size (MB)" column remains the same as it was upon import (whether from epub or when converted).

This isn't usually much of an issue, but some books that are heavily illustrated (e.g., cookbooks, science textbooks, and so on) can be problems for some readers if total size is over a certain limit. It would be nice to know if efforts to remove needless stuff and compress file size had been successful enough before saving to disk or transferring to a device.

There may be a way to do this, but I haven't found it...
Jaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:18 AM   #2
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Would "polish" accomplish this?
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:47 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Polishing should automatically update that column, since it basically re-adds the polished format to the library.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:00 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
AFAIK the Polish Books tool will only work if you have an EPUB or AZW3.

Thinking wishfully, if I had Recalculate size 'button', when I downsize a comic or video in place, I wouldn't have to re-add (replace) the resultant cbz/mp4 to update the Size column. Ditto if I edit a DOCX in place using Word or Writer. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=573

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-25-2020 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Add link
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:58 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You could also try the Quality Check (plugin)->Fix->Check and repair sizes tool, or see posts 573/4 i the Job Spy plugin thread ==>> Index of plugins

BR
Old 02-26-2020, 11:08 PM   #6
Jaws
JCL Punch-Card Collector

Unfortunately, polishing does not recalculate the size, or at least not accurately. For example, I removed a slew of publisher ads (total size of jpegs was > 200k), and the size didn't change; neither did it change after polishing. And more to the point, the actual saved size of the epub did have the lower size. So I suspect size calculations are somehow tied to import and/or conversion?

Will look at the Quality Check plugin as also suggested.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:48 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@Jaws - FYI a Refresh Book Sizes tool was added to the JobSpy plugin a couple of hours ago (version 1.0.174), give it a try. Any issues should be reported in the JS thread, see Index of plugins

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-02-27 153104.png
Views:	64
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	177379

NB: you can add individual JS tools to the Favourites plugin, which is what I've done with this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-02-27 154730.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	177380

BR
Old 03-02-2020, 09:06 PM   #8
Jaws
JCL Punch-Card Collector

Ironically, the recent addition to JobSpy goes the opposite direction of what I want... and would run into difficult if there were both epub and mobi (or azw, or other imported-and-converted format) in the same book.

I want to know the smallest file size, and care only about the epub (which may matter if I've converted something from, say, .txt without a cover).