Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-07-2020, 11:49 AM   #1
nivekkumar
Enthusiast
nivekkumar began at the beginning.

Device: Voyage
Unlocking Locked Kindle (Voyage)

Hey guys, locally somebody offered me a kindle voyage which is locked with the account. Do you guys know if it's able to jailbreak it (system version is 5.8.2) even if it's locked? I hope you can give me a fast answers else it will be maybe sold. Kind regards
nivekkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:53 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How is it locked to the account? Can't you just do a reset and register it to your account?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:01 PM   #3
nivekkumar
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How is it locked to the account? Can't you just do a reset and register it to your account?
From my research it is locked by the account and it isn't possible to access the Amazon store. Now I think if you reset the whole system (and the user is removed), how can Amazon know it is the blacklisted version? Also I really don't need the Amazon store. Am I still able to install jailbroken stuff?
Old 01-07-2020, 12:08 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by nivekkumar View Post
From my research it is locked by the account and it isn't possible to access the Amazon store. Now I think if you reset the whole system (and the user is removed), how can Amazon know it is the blacklisted version? Also I really don't need the Amazon store. Am I still able to install jailbroken stuff?
That is known as blacklisted.

It might still be possible to jailbreak. What you need to know is what is the firmware version.

You should also try to determine whether it is stolen goods, which should not be rewarded.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:34 PM   #5
nivekkumar
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
That is known as blacklisted.

It might still be possible to jailbreak. What you need to know is what is the firmware version.

You should also try to determine whether it is stolen goods, which should not be rewarded.
Yeah, just contacted the seller why it is locked, I don't want to support thief in any manners. As I said it's 8.5.2 on the voyage. Could I jailbreak it (after epubor yes) or are there any restrictions ?
Old 01-07-2020, 12:52 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivekkumar View Post
Yeah, just contacted the seller why it is locked, I don't want to support thief in any manners. As I said it's 8.5.2 on the voyage. Could I jailbreak it (after epubor yes) or are there any restrictions ?
Anyone wanting to jailbreak a kindle should start with the first post in the thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320564
where it shows that the Voyage must be at 5.5.0 or lower.

Failing that, it is possible to jailbreak using the internal serial port as documented in the thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541
which requires opening the case and connecting wires to very small pads.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:58 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Oh, and people here don't like having to clear up wrong directions and misconceptions and other problems caused by epubor, who took information from here without giving credit and mangled the information along the way.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:02 PM   #8
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
You could try contacting Amazon directly and find the reason it was blacklisted (locked). But that is a faint hope, they are unlikely to take it off their blacklist. So blacklist ~= SOL.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:03 PM   #9
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Yes you can jailbreak KV with firmware version up to 5.8.7.0.1 (with initial firmware 5.5.0).
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:03 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

epubor is like Fight Club. You don't talk about it.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Thing is, that Kindle could very well be stolen or someone lost it and it was found. But in any case, you should get your money back as blacklisted Kindles should not be sold.

The owner called up Amazon and said it's been lost or stolen. So keeping it could be a crime.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:15 PM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Yes you can jailbreak KV with firmware version up to 5.8.7.0.1 (with initial firmware 5.5.0).
Thanks! That is good to know, but hard for me and maybe others to remember, though I did think 5.5.0 seemed low.

NiLuJe,

Can you change the line
Quote:
KV: 5.5.0 (MD5: f7c8905ea993fef902be82b70a98542a)
in the first post in the Open Sesame thread to
Quote:
KV: 5.5.0 (MD5: f7c8905ea993fef902be82b70a98542a) for initial firmware up to 5.8.7.0.1
Old 01-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #13
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
In general, all models with firmware 5.8.7.0.1 and below allow downgrading to the initial factory firmware.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:29 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
In general, all models with firmware 5.8.7.0.1 and below allow downgrading to the initial factory firmware.
Ah. Well I know NiLuJe wisely wants to avoid complications, but I hope he finds a way to put something like the quoted sentence above near the table of supported firmwares (in such a way that I will notice it).
Old 01-07-2020, 02:21 PM   #15
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
That last part is kinda tenuous. The important bits are already very prominent and well-organized. It's simply impossible though to have *every* piece of information that *every* member might be looking for at the top of every thread. Find a way to do that and become very rich.

Sometimes (all of us) can't find something easily when it's, in retrospect anyway, shouldn't have been too hard to discover. Well life. But yeah, what can be jb? The very first post in this forum i.e. the first post of the first (stick) thread at the extreme top of this forum has a neatly organized and up to date summary of what firmware versions for each device can be jb. Couldn't be much more prominent or easy to find than that. And the specific datum that you were wishing was easier to find is at the top of the 5.x Jailbreak Wiki, as well as (at least) several jailbreak threads e.g. here. And also shows up in other threads after a quick keyword search about what versions of firmware can be downgraded.

Sure there are exceptions, caveats, breaking news and things that only seem to apply during a full moon. Which is why we have a forum. If we hope NiLuJe finds a way to do something, I think take a day off and do something (else) fun should rank a lot higher than near-impossible, and IMO unnecessary tasks.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, sw jailbreak versions