Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Amazon Launches Monthly Prime & Monthly Prime Video

Amazon just launched standalone monthly Prime and Prime Video services. Prime will cost $10.99/month and Prime Video will cost $8.99/month. Annual Prime is still $99/year (=$8.25/month).

Amazon Ups the Ante on Streaming Video, Challenging Netflix

Quote:
Prime membership will be offered monthly for the first time to all U.S. customers for $10.99

Amazon.com Inc. is firing a shot across the bow of Netflix Inc. by attempting to become a primary destination for streaming video.

The Seattle online retailer said Sunday it will begin offering its video-streaming service as a stand-alone option for the first time. A monthly subscription will cost $8.99, a dollar less than the most popular plan from Netflix.
Quote:
Amazon has been offering its video service as a perk for subscribers of its $99 annual Prime shipping service. Prime membership also will be offered monthly for the first time to all U.S. customers for $10.99, Amazon said Sunday.

An Amazon spokeswoman said the new monthly option could be turned off or on as customers wished, a possible benefit for shoppers during the busy holiday season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amazon Prime.png
Views:	483
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	147978  
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
I think the standalone video subscription may be popular. Perhaps cord cutters like myself switching between Hulu/Netflix/Amazon based upon new content arriving in their respective catalogs.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #3
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Wow. Sounds like a great option. I got my Prime yearly though for I think it was $69 on a promotion. If I can get it again that cheap this year I will probably keep the yearly as that's almost half off the monthly cost for a year. If I have to pay full price, I may go to the monthly option for convenience.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
I bought way more stuff on Amazon the year that I was on Prime, like 4-5 times as much stuff. So it would actually save me money to only subscribe for a few months to a full Prime membership ($10.99). As for video, sign up for a month and binge watch Doctor Who for $8.99, not a bad deal
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:37 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop -- either a price hike for Prime (because of Prime Video) or the removal of Prime Video from Prime.
Advert
Old 04-18-2016, 01:42 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop -- either a price hike for Prime (because of Prime Video) or the removal of Prime Video from Prime.
The price hike already came. Last year.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:52 PM   #7
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Prime Video is great for those with unlimited bandwidth. Amazon, however, unlike Netflix, doesn't allow a choice of quality and will decide for you, based on speed available, whether you should have HD or not. Netflix gives choices. When we watch Amazon Prime it takes at least 3 times the bandwidth of a similar length movie on Netflix at lowest quality, which is our choice. As with the kindle, Amazon decides what you get. If this has changed recently, I'd love to know how to choose a lower quality on Prime Video. The only way around this that we've found it is to use something like a Wii that connects to the tv without an HD cable.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #8
Cosimo
Groupie
Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I think the stand-alone streaming service will be a huge fail based on the quality of programs / movies they currently offer.
Cosimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:01 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
Prime Video is great for those with unlimited bandwidth. Amazon, however, unlike Netflix, doesn't allow a choice of quality and will decide for you, based on speed available, whether you should have HD or not. Netflix gives choices. When we watch Amazon Prime it takes at least 3 times the bandwidth of a similar length movie on Netflix at lowest quality, which is our choice. As with the kindle, Amazon decides what you get. If this has changed recently, I'd love to know how to choose a lower quality on Prime Video. The only way around this that we've found it is to use something like a Wii that connects to the tv without an HD cable.
When I watch anything on Prime, I always choose the SD option (a per title setting) instead of the HD one. On the Roku and the Amazon Fire TV, this is under "Other ways to watch (or something to that effect)". My internet is sketchy and slow, but I've never had a bit of trouble when streaming SD instead of HD on Prime Video.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The price hike already came. Last year.
But with added content, Amazon has spun Prime Video into a major video streaming service capable of going head-to-head with Netflix and Hulu.

Now that it's being offered as a monthly subscription, I just don't see them continuing to offer it as one of the many "freebies" you get with an annual Prime membership.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post
I think the stand-alone streaming service will be a huge fail based on the quality of programs / movies they currently offer.
I actually prefer Prime Video's titles to Netflix/Hulu, at the moment. That will change of course ... it always does. And then I'll gravitate to Netflix/Hulu again. The new monthly plan will allow a lot more people to do the same thing, so I doubt it will be a huge fail. People will simply put Prime "in the rotation." *shrug*
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:09 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post
Time will tell just how successful it is. If the numbers are good, I see them making changes to Prime because of it - either a price hike or removal.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
Best way to get around that is to Down Load the movie then You pick... Not Amazon DL Movie play better No Buffering! Win-Win
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
They remove Movies from Prime I fore see a Lot of people Stop using it.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:21 PM   #15
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
When I watch anything on Prime, I always choose the SD option (a per title setting) instead of the HD one. On the Roku and the Amazon Fire TV, this is under "Other ways to watch (or something to that effect)". My internet is sketchy and slow, but I've never had a bit of trouble when streaming SD instead of HD on Prime Video.
Netflix offers more choices than just SD and HD, however, I haven't noticed an option for either when streaming Prime Video. It just says Watch Now. If it's there, I'm sorry, I've missed it. Netflix still does offer more options for playback: Auto, based on speed, Low, up to .3gb per hour, Medium, up to .7gb per hour, and High, up to 3 gb per hour for HD and 7gb per hour for Ultra HD.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote