Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 04-17-2016, 07:16 PM   #61
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
1.02.18A is the version on the one in my hand. Where would I go to find FM recording if I have it?
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:20 PM   #62
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
1.02.18A is the version on the one in my hand. Where would I go to find FM recording if I have it?
S
Go to FM Radio, then when tuned to a station, press Down, and Recording is the last item in that context menu.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2016, 07:21 PM   #63
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Glad I could be helpful!

Can you browse the Clip+ when connected to the Chromebook? You don't need to use the updater software as long as you an access the Clip+ as a drive to put files onto. Just drop the firmware file (available under "manual installation" on the firmware info page - use the download for all regions link) into the root of the Clip+. Disconnect, and it should start updating. The instructions are on that page.

I could never get the updater to work so I did it manually and it worked fine.
Didn't think about a manual update. Anyway, I just upgraded one of my Clip+s to 18A and FM record is there. Then I went to my Clip+ with 15A and guess what? FM record is there also. So I have no idea when it was added. I'll have to research it.

Years later, I'm still loving and using my Clips. On the go, they're my primary audio device. I also use them at home hooked up to a speaker.

Anyway, thanks for heads up and getting me to update the OP
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:22 PM   #64
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Go to FM Radio, then when tuned to a station, press Down, and Recording is the last item in that context menu.
Yep
Old 04-17-2016, 07:43 PM   #65
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Didn't think about a manual update. Anyway, I just upgraded one of my Clip+s to 18A and FM record is there. Then I went to my Clip+ with 15A and guess what? FM record is there also. So I have no idea when it was added. I'll have to research it.

Years later, I'm still loving and using my Clips. On the go, they're my primary audio device. I also use them at home hooked up to a speaker.

Anyway, thanks for heads up and getting me to update the OP
You're very welcome. Yeah, I have no idea when it was added either. I initially had the original firmware (don't recall the number, either 9 or 12, I think) and I'm pretty sure it wasn't there then. I'm one of those people who has to look at all available menu options on a device and I didn't remember ever seeing back when I got it.

I'm having trouble finding an inexpensive non-bluetooth 3.5mm-connected speaker that's at least somewhat portable, powered but rechargeable, and doesn't sound like crap. I can use the aux input on my Grace Mondo (I love that thing) but even though I have the battery pack for that, it's a bit much when I just need a speaker.
Advert
Old 04-17-2016, 07:57 PM   #66
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
You're very welcome. Yeah, I have no idea when it was added either. I initially had the original firmware (don't recall the number, either 9 or 12, I think) and I'm pretty sure it wasn't there then. I'm one of those people who has to look at all available menu options on a device and I didn't remember ever seeing back when I got it.

I'm having trouble finding an inexpensive non-bluetooth 3.5mm-connected speaker that's at least somewhat portable, powered but rechargeable, and doesn't sound like crap. I can use the aux input on my Grace Mondo (I love that thing) but even though I have the battery pack for that, it's a bit much when I just need a speaker.
I have this speaker and use it with my Clips. I like it quite a bit and it sounds great to me.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:08 PM   #67
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
I have this speaker and use it with my Clips. I like it quite a bit and it sounds great to me.
Perfect! Thank you!
Old 04-17-2016, 08:17 PM   #68
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Perfect! Thank you!
YW - mine has a mini USB charging port, the same as my Clips. That way, I only need one USB cable for charging both devices when on the go.

BTW - this isn't necessarily the best corded mini speaker out there. There are others with higher ratings. Keep in mind that newer speakers will have micro USB ports. That would necessitate the use of two different USB cables (mini & micro) for charging.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:35 PM   #69
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I just looked at a Clip Zip, and that supports FM recording. The Clip Sport doesn't.

I like my Zips best for general use, but use the Sport for audiobooks because of the great battery life. In all other respects, the Sport seems inferior.

Has anyone tried the Jam?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:44 PM   #70
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I just looked at a Clip Zip, and that supports FM recording. The Clip Sport doesn't.

I like my Zips best for general use, but use the Sport for audiobooks because of the great battery life. In all other respects, the Sport seems inferior.

Has anyone tried the Jam?
SanDisk has been dumbing down the line. The Sport lost features that the Zip had and the Jam lost even more features. The pinnacle, feature-wise, was the Zip.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:25 PM   #71
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Thank You!
Not sure when I would ever use it, but it's good to know just in case.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #72
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Oh my. By installing Rockbox firmware on my Clip+ and some partition wizardry, I'm using a 64GB SDXC card in it. (Reformat the SDXC card so that it has one Primary FAT32 partition, as XC cards are initially exFAT which it can't read. Rockbox allows you to get past the database limits of the original firmware and overcomes the "speed issues" of using a Class 10 card.)

I hated Rockbox when I first tried it, but it really grew on me over several hours of playing with it last night.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:55 PM   #73
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Oh my. By installing Rockbox firmware on my Clip+ and some partition wizardry, I'm using a 64GB SDXC card in it. (Reformat the SDXC card so that it has one Primary FAT32 partition, as XC cards are initially exFAT which it can't read. Rockbox allows you to get past the database limits of the original firmware and overcomes the "speed issues" of using a Class 10 card.)

I hated Rockbox when I first tried it, but it really grew on me over several hours of playing with it last night.
Cool! I keep meaning to RockBox one of my Clips, but keep putting it off.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:22 PM   #74
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Cool! I keep meaning to RockBox one of my Clips, but keep putting it off.
If you decide to try it, go with the Dev release, not the Stable release. The Dev version is actually stable at the moment, and the Stable version is comparatively ancient with fewer features. The current manual for RB for the Clip+ contains info on menus and features that aren't in the Stable version. (Took me a while to figure that out and update.)

Rockbox also includes a bootloader that allows you to load into the original firmware at any time (shut down, then hold left while turning back on.) Super handy, that.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:22 AM   #75
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:

How does it work with audiobooks? Are there any improvements over the stock audiobook player?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote