Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #31
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn56 View Post
I guess an important distinction is if you want a tablet or an e-reader.

If you primarily want an e-reader, then I can't see the point of the Playbook - how are you supposed to get library books if it won't run Overdrive ?
Well, all color readers are tablets first. The fact that they run an ereading app doesn't make them any more an ereader than a netbook is. You don't compare the Vox to Kimdle or Sony readers, it's not in that category. It's a weak and limited Andoid tablet. That's not an insult, it's reality. "Intended use" does not change the classification of the device.

Last edited by Anjohl; 01-06-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #32
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
Well, all color readers are tablets first. The fact that they run an ereading app doesn't make them any more an ereader than a netbook is. You don't compare the Vox to Kimdle or Sony readers, it's not in that category. It's a weak and limited Andoid tablet. That's not an insult, it's reality. "Intended use" does not change the classification of the device.
Okay, that would be like saying a monitor is not a good TV. To me the Vox is an eReader with a fancy screen I can read in the dark. I don't expect it to be a netbook with a touchscreen. Intended use is everything.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #33
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
Okay, that would be like saying a monitor is not a good TV. To me the Vox is an eReader with a fancy screen I can read in the dark. I don't expect it to be a netbook with a touchscreen. Intended use is everything.
I agree - and so does FS and BB - they sell them in their eReader section of the store (not in the tablet section) and they have 30 day return policies, as such (instead of the 14 day tablet policy).
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #34
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
I could play around with the Playbook for a few days because I got it for my mother. It's a nice device. I couldn't figure out what the webcam was for, though. I liked the interface (the swipe-up-swipe-down thing) which seems more reasonable in terms of screen economy. But well, there is no email client, no IM, no UPNP (media server support), no Netflix, basically nothing but the browser which works very well. That also means that I wouldn't watch HD video on it - since there is no way to stream the video to the tablet. Bluetooth tethering is a plus. It felt like I always had to hold it in landscape mode with both hands, which is funny - like a Nintendo DS. It somehow felt heavier than the Vox.
I don't care about what is going to come on the second version of the OS. If they messed up the first on purpose, all the rest is vaporware. I don't know why they try to save a dead OS by running a Java machine (Android) on top of a Java machine, instead of switching to something else directly (they could still port their own launcher...).
The browser is awesome. It's fast and Flash worked in situations where I didn't expect it, like Flash video. The battery life is incredible.
Prices on the Appstore are ridiculously high.
The Vox's screen performed better in direct sunlight, which I find important.

As such, the Vox is in fact an Android Tablet with a messed up OS (that's where the 'underpowered' comes from), while the Playbook is an overpowered Internet Tablet (webcam and HD capabilities aren't worth nothing, since not all of my friends have a Playbook and the only videos I can watch are Flash).
It's perfect for my mother - she wants to go on the internet and not change the ways she's used to from a PC. I want to use my tablet in every situation, and I do many things on the Vox which simply aren't possible on the Playbook (Chinese handwriting, Instant Messaging, controlling the music around the house, reading mail, Netflix, streaming video from my home server, controlling the mouse and keyboard of the PC, OpenVPN).
Actually, seeing the usage possibilities, I'd rather say that the Playbook is the reader and the Vox the tablet. It's not the hardware that counts, but what you can do with it.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #35
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's a load of rubbish. The Vox is no more an ereader than a cell phone or ipod touch is. It's a weak tablet that can be used for reading.
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #36
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
That's a load of rubbish.
When I type such a sentence I usually delete it, close my browser and go do something else.
For the rest, ditto.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #37
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:
The Vox is no more an ereader than a cell phone or ipod touch is.
I suppose this all depends on what your definition of eReader is.

Is the Vox (or an iPod Touch or a smart phone) a dedicated eReader? No.

Is the Vox (or an iPod Touch or a smart phone) an eInk eReader? No.

Does the Vox allow you to easily access and read eBooks? Yes.

In my opinion, all of the items you have mentioned can be used as an eReader, but the Vox is slightly more orientated towards being such. It is portable, I have no trouble getting all of my eBooks onto the device and reading them, and the app to do my reading is front and centre. I use my Vox for hardly anything else.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #38
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
When I type such a sentence I usually delete it, close my browser and go do something else.
Yes, but you're clearly a reasonable person.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #39
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Playbook is NOT running Java, it is running QNX so the Android JVM is running natively, same as on Android.

There are IM apps and media server streaming apps including Play which can do Netflix though not directly.

When the PB is tethered to a Blackberry it has all the Blackberry apps: mail, calendar, BBM, tasks, notes, browser which lets you use the phone for internet when away from wireless.

Youtube streams video well. Direct app for Netflix would be nice, runs sloooowly on the Vox but nicely on the Xbox or Dell; yes, I broke down and signed up for the free month of Netflix.

The front camera ("webcam") is for video chat but it is only good to talk to other PB users. I am not aware of other video chat apps like Skype (well, text only).

It records and plays back video nicely however. The rear camera is pretty good and so are the stereo mics.

Last edited by hpulley; 01-07-2012 at 09:55 PM.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:31 AM   #40
Anjohl
Zealot

I believe you can just watch via the web site. Also, disputing that a Vox is more of an ereader than an ipod touch or netbook is indefensible. If anything, the Vox is worse than the ipod, as the reading apps on it have page turn animations. The Vox has a color screen which allows a reading app to be run, just as a netbook or the ipod.

Last edited by Anjohl; 01-08-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #41
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

I know this is an older thread but I just thought I'd throw in a few cents about the Playbook here. My son's girlfriend has one. She's not the type of person that reads instructions or researches stuff on the Web. It has to be WYSIWYG and work intuitively for her out of the box. I was going to help her figure out if she can install Overdrive and read library books on her PB, but now she has a bigger problem. It was probably not turned off and left to die, because now it won't charge or turn on. I asked about this on the Crackberry forum and searched the web. From what I've seen so far, the problems people are reporting here about the Vox are dwarfed by the Playbook problems out there!
Old 06-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #42
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

I think you will find that all forums are of course full of people with problems. Only real fangirls/boys come and post "still working great!" updates. Same is true here.

The PlayBook like many other devices today has a smart charger which likes to have some power to run its software. Your daughter's PlayBook needs to be "stack charged" to get it going again.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #43
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

Device: touch
I use the vox for reading and surfing. I use a bbplaybook for work, I tried the kobo app on it and found it could not display the pages as well as the vox. The vox maybe slower than the bb playbook but it is the better reader and the vox is faster at loading itss desktop than the bb.
d.culloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #44
oldyellr
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
Your daughter's PlayBook needs to be "stack charged" to get it going again.
Yes, that's what I was told, but it didn't respond. Maybe it had been too dead too long. Hopefully she can find her warrantiy info and it's still covered.

I agree that people seldom post on forums if there's no problem.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:17 AM   #45
hpulley
Addict

Sadly seems RIM is in very bad straights...