Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
New update available

Hi everyone,

A new update is now up on our servers (went live about 2 hours ago). This update includes new features as well as stability improvements.

The release notes:

Stability Improvements
  • Resolves an issue with the battery level not reporting the correct charge.
  • Resolves an issue where some customers lost their WiFi connection.
  • Resolves an issue where some streaming videos would not play.
  • Adjusted Power-On Button behaviour to require a 2 second long press to power on the Vox to address an issue where devices were powering on while in transit in the box.
  • Improved the stability of resuming from Standby mode.
  • Various bug fixes.

New and improved reading menu
  • New reading menu to easily configure reading settings such as adjusting the brightness, font size, page styling and more.

Dictionary
  • New dictionary feature that lets you select a word or a phrase and search the definition.

Page Themes
  • Added a Sepia page theme. Sepia has a soft colour tone that mimics a vintage-styled book.

New Fonts
  • Added Times New Roman font.

Shelf Backgrounds
  • Customize your Kobo Book shelf with sleek new backgrounds.

Direct Search
  • Search for books on the Kobo store directly from the Android Search widget.

Kobo Store Home button
  • Made the Store button easier to find. The Store button lets you easily go back to the Store home page.

New Reading Life Award
  • Earn the Rainbow Reading Life award when you open a Fixed Layout ePub.

Let us know what you think!

James

Last edited by KoboJW; 12-21-2011 at 10:21 AM.
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
---Resolves an issue where some streaming videos would not play.

Movies are smooth as butter....MOST impressed on this issue!!!

Late Edit: Well, I have been using the update, and have to say that it truly enhances the usage of the Vox. Even though I find that on first firing up the Library App, I no longer get a guaranteed SYNC right off the bat, ....actually,that is OK, as I can force one through using the REFRESH tab. So, this is a minor thing, if a 'thing' at all.

I find the total user experience much more crisp, and faster after this latest firmware install. For one thing, as stated above, movies flow with no stutter. I really appreciate the new Portrait/Landscape lock-down feature. Ah heck....I appreciate all the tweaks the team did....and thank you. I look forward to even more pokes 'n tucks, and any new features for the Vox, down the pipe...

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 12-21-2011 at 04:11 AM.
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
This update broke my Vox.

Battery status falsely reported as at 43% when it was fully charged. Reported as being on charger when it wasn't.

Power button won't work at all so Vox cannot but turned off or put into sleep mode.

Prying the back off the vox and resetting it has not helped. I merely got the Vox to restart and the message to plug into a charger. Power button still does not work.

49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
This update broke my Vox.

Battery status falsely reported as at 43% when it was fully charged. Reported as being on charger when it wasn't.

Power button won't work at all so Vox cannot but turned off or put into sleep mode.

Prying the back off the vox and resetting it has not helped. I merely got the Vox to restart and the message to plug into a charger. Power button still does not work.

-------------------------------------------

Man...so sorry to read that you had troubles. I did the following sequences and came through without harm (I think, ...)

First off, I never hacked or rooted my Vox. The only code modifications, came from Kobo firmware updates from the point of sale.

1. With the prior firmware, I saw that my library updated and in notifications, that a firmware update was available.

2. Started the process

3. Waited without touching the Vox (with a full battery, mind you!) and the update mask took some time to even show a green progress bar, and then to travel across around three quarters the space.

4. It finished and rebooted my Vox

5. The Vox came up with another mask stating that the firmware was going to be installed and then reboot itself. This it did after a length of time.

6. Came to the desktop with the firmware installed. Nothing out of the ordinary other than no syncing as soon as you enter your Library. I have not had a hard crash or misbehavior of any kind with the new firmware in place. I also have to tool around and see what was, and where things got changed. For sure, my Vox no longer goes into a SYNC mode when the library app is engaged. If this is a bug, and was not intended..then...it is a first observational bug....

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 12-21-2011 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
My update worked beautifully as well. I never had the sleep of death issue, so i am not sure how this has changed.

Kat, I am sorry you are having such enormous problems. I wonder if it has anything at all to do with some of the things you attempted as you sought to fix the previous build. I think if I were you, I would do a factory update which should install the current (new) build.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did not do anything wrong here. I followed instructions exactly.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

The O.S. is flying! Page turns SNAP to the next page. Kobo, you have definitely tweaked general performance. No placebo effect here. Still discovering.....but so far, so good other than not getting syncing when first opening the Library....
Old 12-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
49Kat
Fanatic

I want to know right now how to shut the thing off so it can perhaps recharge??? However, I believe the battery status report is false.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know that you did not do anything wrong in installing the update. However, there may be some wonkiness left from earlier attempts you (and many other people) might have made trying to fix the old build.

Try a factory reset. What harm could there be in doing that?
Old 12-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
My update worked beautifully as well. I never had the sleep of death issue, so i am not sure how this has changed.

Kat, I am sorry you are having such enormous problems. I wonder if it has anything at all to do with some of the things you attempted as you sought to fix the previous build. I think if I were you, I would do a factory update which should install the current (new) build.
----------------------------------------

Taming, can you comment on whether your SYNCING after first running the Library app is happening like on the prior firmware? If yours does not as well, then I can figure they did that on purpose, If not...and yours DOES sync like the prior...then this update has bugs introduced to my Vox. Waiting for you to post on the Sync... and thanks.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
cece
cece began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
how do i access this update?
cece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #12
paulsparrow
paulsparrow began at the beginning.

Device: vox
Probably a dumb question but how do you get it to sync. Mine is set on Auto-sync and I'm still at build CAN.20111117.182539.40022 test-keys.

Tried turning on and off and going into library.
paulsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite

If it does not automatically show as available to you when your WiFi is on, then go into Settings>About Kobo Reader> System Update.

If you happen to get a message about a corrupted update file, no worries. Just try again.

Last edited by taming; 12-20-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #14
paulsparrow
paulsparrow began at the beginning.

Device: vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
If it does not automatically show as available to you when your WiFi is on, then go into Settings>About Kobo Reader> System Update.
Yes did that too. It just sits there. No sign after 10 minutes that it did anything.
paulsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #15
cece
cece began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Thank You
cece is offline   Reply With Quote