Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 07:41 AM   #31
mTamblyn
mTamblyn is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo eReader, iPhone, iPad
To those following this thread, here is the link for details about the Kobo eReader firmware upgrade:

http://blog.kobobooks.com/2010/06/30...mware-upgrade/

I've also cross-posted it to a new MR thread - here.

Cheers,
Michael Tamblyn, EVP Content, Sales & Merchandising - Kobo
mTamblyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #32
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
not yet as of 7:12 AM Eastern time.
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #33
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo eReader
I've signed up for the early access program. If you don't mind Sameer could you send me the program? :P
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #34
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo

Last edited by StealthyScribe; 07-01-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Not working...
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #35
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Stealthy, keep us posted on how it goes and how long it takes if you don't mind.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #36
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
When it starts working, I will. Sorry for the empty post. Technical difficulties.
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #37
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismar View Post
I've signed up for the early access program. If you don't mind Sameer could you send me the program? :P
Hi all, if you've signed up for the early access, you'll be first in line to get the new desktop app which will download the firmware upgrade. I'm afraid I can't get it any earlier than that
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:34 AM   #38
Vidfreaky
Prog Rock Radio DJ
Vidfreaky began at the beginning.

I got the email and I'm downloading it while I type this.

Took about 20 minutes to download the software and update the Kobo ereader. Although I didn't have a problem, I think my 69 year old mother might have had some issues with holding down multiple buttons, software clicks, etc. so I'm glad that she can take it to Chapters and have them do it for her.

The only issue I had was that you can't tell when you've actually pressed the reset button. It doesn't have a noticible "click" to it when you push down and the screen didn't do anything for a few seconds, so I found myself pushing it harder in order to try and get it to do something.

Last edited by Vidfreaky; 07-02-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Vidfreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:11 AM   #39
newchee
newchee began at the beginning.

I had a pleasant surprise when I plugged in my Kobo to my computer. Up popped a firmware 1.4 notification on my computer screen and asks if I am ready to upgrade. What followed is a series of step by step interactive screens, well illustrated, which walk you through every step of the upgrade process. Very straightforward and painless.

I however, had a brand new computer (the old broke down), and had to re-install the Adobe Digital Editions and the Kobo desktop application. The Kobo desktop app automatically re-synched my purchased books from the Kobo bookstore. However, I had to download all the titles again to re-synch ADE. That's about the most inconvenient thing I had to do.

All in all, kudos to the Kobo team for a job very well done.

Now, I will check if the promised fixes actually do the job.
newchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:17 AM   #40
Vidfreaky
Prog Rock Radio DJ

I haven't found how to remove the 100 free titles from the device. The software looks exactly the same to me (which in my opinion is NOT a good thing). Can't see where you can do anything in the software other than buy and sync books purchased online through kobo.

I can confirm that the sizing issue is now fixed with everything I tried on the device. I guess I've got to go back and resize everything again in Calibre so that it's not giant now that the sizing is actually working.

Last edited by Vidfreaky; 07-02-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:21 AM   #41
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

When you are on the books page press the 'display' button and it gives you the option of displaying 'your books', your 100 free books, or all books.

If you have 'opened' any of the free 100 in the past they will show in your books.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:29 AM   #42
Vidfreaky
Prog Rock Radio DJ

I was just coming to post that. Looks like you can't remove the books at all, just hide them from the list. That sucks...
Old 07-02-2010, 01:35 AM   #43
mTamblyn
mTamblyn is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo eReader, iPhone, iPad
Vidfreaky -- we're working on it, just not for this release. Full library management (selective hiding, removing, categorizing, etc.) is a more involved piece of work. We totally understand that people want to have more control over their library and how it is arranged. (I definitely do. I don't want my genre fiction mixed up with my literary stuff next to my history and biography. I wouldn't do it at home, don't want to do it on my eReader!)

Michael Tamblyn
EVP Content, Sales & Merchandising - Kobo
mTamblyn is offline   Reply With Quote