Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
Kindle Paperwhite cable, is it a regular mini USB cable?

I've tried three cables so far and none of them are getting the Paperwhite to mount in OSX. Can't see the Kindle in disc utility either. Is there any special tech in the Paperwhite cable? Also, any special markings on the cable because I have about 50 mini USB cables in storage...
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
I've tried three cables so far and none of them are getting the Paperwhite to mount in OSX. Can't see the Kindle in disc utility either. Is there any special tech in the Paperwhite cable? Also, any special markings on the cable because I have about 50 mini USB cables in storage...
I'm pretty sure the Paperwhite uses a micro USB cable. I think mini USBs were the older (squarish) cables, like the older Sony eReaders used.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
Keep trying. Make sure it is a data not just a charge cable. Make sure it is a micro not a mini. Unless by mini you just meant small on one end in which case make sure the ends match the input on the paperwhite.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Make sure the device is awake.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:30 PM   #5
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Keep trying. Make sure it is a data not just a charge cable. Make sure it is a micro not a mini. Unless by mini you just meant small on one end in which case make sure the ends match the input on the paperwhite.
https://www.amazon.com/Xcords-Androi...B+micro+cables

Ad for a charging cable. Now, here's an ad for a charging and data sync cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Braid...B+micro+cables

The Kindle is a charging and data sync cable and the connector is USB micro. All I have that uses USB mini, darn it, are my Bluetooth earphones.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2017, 05:54 PM   #6
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Make sure the device is awake.
That is not necessary. Connecting is enough to wake it up. Similiar to being able to plug it into a charger while asleep.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:56 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The PW3 uses a box standard micro-USB cable.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:30 PM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That is not necessary. Connecting is enough to wake it up. Similiar to being able to plug it into a charger while asleep.
I mentioned it because it was a common practice for low tech users on the Amazon forums to leave their device off with the cover closed, and not understand why their computer would not mount the device.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:41 PM   #9
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I mentioned it because it was a common practice for low tech users on the Amazon forums to leave their device off with the cover closed, and not understand why their computer would not mount the device.
But I just tried it on a PW1 and a PW3 with the cover closed and it did connect fine. Maybe it is entirely different on a Windumb10 machine (mine) vs a Mac. Unless for some reason the usb port is set to charge only on OPs computer.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:16 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
But I just tried it on a PW1 and a PW3 with the cover closed and it did connect fine. Maybe it is entirely different on a Windumb10 machine (mine) vs a Mac. Unless for some reason the usb port is set to charge only on OPs computer.
Same with my Kindle Basic 8, but maybe by "off" they mean "all the way off" – not in sleep mode. I use Linux, so (I'm guessing) it has nothing to do with the computer.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:24 PM   #11
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Same with my Kindle Basic 8, but maybe by "off" they mean "all the way off" – not in sleep mode. I use Linux, so (I'm guessing) it has nothing to do with the computer.
The only way it is OFF is in either dead battery mode or in shipping mode.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:43 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Xcords-Androi...B+micro+cables

Ad for a charging cable. Now, here's an ad for a charging and data sync cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Braid...B+micro+cables

The Kindle is a charging and data sync cable and the connector is USB micro. All I have that uses USB mini, darn it, are my Bluetooth earphones.
Thanks . My Garmin and old kobo use minis. Oh and my new dash cam.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:09 PM   #13
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Thanks . My Garmin and old kobo use minis. Oh and my new dash cam.
Get ready for the new USB "C" cable which my Motorola Phone uses! Switching is going to be a PITA, but charging is significantly faster. Now that i've had to face this issue, and have gotten the bellyaching out of my system, I rather like the "C" cable. I hope all my replacement devices will use it.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:22 PM   #14
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
Thanks for chiming in. I went through about 15 cables before I turned the password option off and it was recognized. Strange since I had already entered the password and had the Kindle on the main screen before I plugged it in previously.
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:34 PM   #15
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Get ready for the new USB "C" cable which my Motorola Phone uses! Switching is going to be a PITA, but charging is significantly faster. Now that i've had to face this issue, and have gotten the bellyaching out of my system, I rather like the "C" cable. I hope all my replacement devices will use it.
I wish a Kindle Paperwhite with a USB C connector would come out.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote