Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #1
challe232
Connoisseur
challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Kobo aura one - hot pixels\bright spots

Has anyone here had a relatively perfect screen and get the spots afterwards? Maybe I had one and didn't notice. What is it that makes this happen still? I get them on every lighted Kobo. I thought mine was pretty perfect until it popped up today.

Otherwise colour wise , mine is okay. Much better contrast and clear vs h2o.
challe232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:55 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by challe232 View Post
Has anyone here had a relatively perfect screen and get the spots afterwards? Maybe I had one and didn't notice. What is it that makes this happen still? I get them on every lighted Kobo. I thought mine was pretty perfect until it popped up today.

Otherwise colour wise , mine is okay. Much better contrast and clear vs h2o.
Not sure what you mean but debris on the surface of the screen can catch the light and show as a hot spot. Turn the light up to 100%, select a dark image (I use a black image that fits the screen) and tilt the screen so you are looking at the bottom from the top edge at a shallow angle. You'll notice the LEDs showing up when you get close to what I find to be the "best" angle. Then clean the screen and try again. It's also a great way to see how bad the ghosting is on an eInk screen. I just keep telling myself that this is a pathological case.

I've attached the image I use to this message.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	h2o_black.png
Views:	416
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	152238  

Last edited by DNSB; 10-07-2016 at 11:00 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2016, 09:34 AM   #3
challe232
Connoisseur
challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.

Thanks a lot, I'll check it out. I'm certain its a hot spot. It's just a shame because I don't think was there originally (all my old kobos were there at purchase and never got worse).

Also overnight it just died. 70℅ to 0℅ on sleep mode. Sigh. I didn't mind with a $120 old Glo. But these now are $$ enough that I just want a great screen.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:59 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by challe232 View Post
Thanks a lot, I'll check it out. I'm certain its a hot spot. It's just a shame because I don't think was there originally (all my old kobos were there at purchase and never got worse).

Also overnight it just died. 70℅ to 0℅ on sleep mode. Sigh. I didn't mind with a $120 old Glo. But these now are $$ enough that I just want a great screen.
There is a known bug in the firmware. You can try editing the Kobo eReader.conf file and adding the following line under the [ApplicationPreferences] heading: PeriodicAutoSync=false to see if this helps your battery life.

Use a text editor such as Notepad++ to edit the file -- it uses Linux style end of lines and Windows Notepad will convert those to Windows style EOLs.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:58 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Hot spots can appear if the layer on top of the screen that distributes the light gets dented. Perhaps you dented yours at some point.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #6
challe232
Connoisseur

I'll check out changing the file, thanks a lot for that.

It hasn't been dented, always had a sleep cover, also it's screen is tougher than say a Glo so that wouldn't be as easy to do, I'm pretty careful with my things. Just got unlucky I guess. I just was hoping after spending $280 it wouldn't happen.