Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-30-2016, 08:11 AM   #1
HarJIT-EGS
HarJIT-EGS began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Installed MRPI, Updated, Hotfixed, now am "framework"?

I have recently upgraded my Kindle PW2 to the latest firmware, having previously kept it backdoor-locked for a little over two years now (I'm starting uni soon, and I want the device to have the latest security patches, conformant with the IT policy, before I go) . I tried hotfixing from the get-go, but it seemingly rejected the hotfix (deleted it before I had a chance to install it) - hence I resorted to hotfixing afterward.

So, after installing MRPI, I installed the update from the Amazon website over USB. KUAL initially complained of a lack of MKK, but started working after I installed the hotfix. kterm didn't work until I installed the version for the newer firmware.

Now trying mntroot gives me (between feedback from the script itself) "mount: only root can do that". su gives me "su: must be suid to work properly" which would seem to defeat the object somewhat, and whoami gives me "framework".

Is this expected or did I mess up somewhere?
HarJIT-EGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Yes, that is expected result, your path to reach it was a bit convoluted.

Carefully follow these directions now:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877
step by step, in order, don't invent any changes of your own, don't skip any.

It is like an admittance test - pass/fail only.

Complete all of that, post again because there will then be a bit more for you to do.

Last edited by knc1; 08-30-2016 at 08:35 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
That issue was fixed a long time ago prompting the initial hotfix. (The hotfix is really just a copy of the bridge, but specifying the min/max firmware revisions in order to pass Amazon's newest otaupd checks. IOW, the hotfix only runs on the newer firmware, but the older firmware accepts the standard bridge...)

What happened is, the firmware used to operate as root, and now it delegates the UI to a framework user.
So, the jailbreak infrastructure was expanded to include "gandalf".

The hotfix should install fine, the usual way. The other key step is using the latest version of KUAL, which actually makes use of gandalf to make sure KUAL extensions get started as root.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-30-2016 at 10:07 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:20 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Indeed - read the note about the special handling for the PW2 in bold, in the directions.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:54 PM   #5
HarJIT-EGS
HarJIT-EGS began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The hotfix should install fine, the usual way. The other key step is using the latest version of KUAL, which actually makes use of gandalf to make sure KUAL extensions get started as root.
Thanks! I've now updated KUAL, and everything I've tested seems to be working as I'd had expected.
HarJIT-EGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert