Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #61
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
Well, for 2.6.1 there was a "patched" version of libnickel.so floating around that allowed TypeGenius for all fonts, including sideloaded. AFAIK it hasn't been made for 2.8.1 yet.
How did I miss this? Where can I find it?

I already have a good idea of what needs to be done; just need to dig around enough to do it.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #62
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
How did I miss this? Where can I find it?

I already have a good idea of what needs to be done; just need to dig around enough to do it.
It was on the Russian language site the-ebook.org, in the Kobo Aura thread. Author is metazoa, IIRC.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #63
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Yes, I would also like a patched libnickel.so.1.0.0 with only the TypeGenius font settings working on all sideloaded fonts. For firmware 2.5.2.

The mentioned Russian patched version seems to contain many differences with the original file. So far I was unable to find the TypeGenius modifications.
Edit: compared mark3 with a mark4 version, these are different.

Some more info in this thread (no files)
Russian
English (Google Translate)

Last edited by Anak; 07-28-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #64
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alright, I found it. Going to root around in my hex editor and see if I can identify the changes. I'll share what I find.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #65
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was running the second release (latest is the third) for a while, but as I read in bigger font sizes I eventually changed the part of the patch the lowered the bottom of the screen back to stock margins. I used xxd to dump the stock and patched binary, then ran the diff.
Advert
Old 07-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #66
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky

Easily found where to adjust the margins and a few other small features, but it's a little trickier narrowing down which changes exactly enable the advanced font settings. Getting there slowly, though.

EDIT: Definitely narrowed it down. I'll need to do some testing though.

Last edited by buffaloseven; 07-28-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #67
dmapr
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
Easily found where to adjust the margins and a few other small features, but it's a little trickier narrowing down which changes exactly enable the advanced font settings. Getting there slowly, though.

EDIT: Definitely narrowed it down. I'll need to do some testing though.
One other thing I noticed (although I haven't looked very hard) was that CSS that was modified in the metazoa patch for 2.6.1 seems to be missing from the nickel library in 2.8.1.

Glad to hear you're making progress!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:03 AM   #68
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One other thing I noticed (although I haven't looked very hard) was that CSS that was modified in the metazoa patch for 2.6.1 seems to be missing from the nickel library in 2.8.1.

Glad to hear you're making progress!
The TypeGenius font weight and sharpness adjustments seems to work (fw 2.5.2) without patching nibnickel.so.1.0.0. but you'll have to do it manually as it is not accessable directly in the GUI. But that's why it needs to be patched, isn't it?

Try these two sets of settings. Replace the font name into any other installed sideloaded font.
In the second set I renamed Font in Aont so it will be bypassed by the fw. Rename to notice the difference.

Code:
readingFontSharpness\Minion%20Pro%20OsF="@Variant(\0\0\0\x87=L\xcc\xcd)"
readingFontWeight\Minion%20Pro%20OsF=@Variant(\0\0\0\x87>8Q\xec)

readingAontSharpness\Minion%20Pro%20OsF=@Variant(\0\0\0\x87>L\xcc\xcd)
readingAontWeight\Minion%20Pro%20OsF=@Variant(\0\0\0\x87<8Q\xec)
Old 07-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #69
dmapr
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
The TypeGenius font weight and sharpness adjustments seems to work (fw 2.5.2) without patching nibnickel.so.1.0.0. but you'll have to do it manually as it is not accessable directly in the GUI. But that's why it needs to be patched, isn't it?

Try these two sets of settings. Replace the font name into any other installed sideloaded font.
In the second set I renamed Font in Aont so it will be bypassed by the fw. Rename to notice the difference.

Code:
readingFontSharpness\Minion%20Pro%20OsF="@Variant(\0\0\0\x87=L\xcc\xcd)"
readingFontWeight\Minion%20Pro%20OsF=@Variant(\0\0\0\x87>8Q\xec)

readingAontSharpness\Minion%20Pro%20OsF=@Variant(\0\0\0\x87>L\xcc\xcd)
readingAontWeight\Minion%20Pro%20OsF=@Variant(\0\0\0\x87<8Q\xec)
Yes, I believe the reason for patching was to trick the GUI. I have renamed my one sideloaded font (Charis SIL) to a TypeGenius enabled one (Delima) that was only in the list but on on the device and left it at that
Old 07-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #70
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I can confirm that manually editing .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf in a text editor with:
Code:
readingFontWeight\my-custom-fontname=@Variant(weight-setting)
seems to work for sideloaded fonts in fw 2.8.1. But without some sort of key to the cryptic @Variant weight-setting it would be a bit tedious to find your preferred value. Would anyone like to volunteer to methodically run through logging the 60-ish allowable values for @Variant?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #71
Anak
Fanatic

@dmapr, are you active on the Russian language board the-ebook.org? If you are, can you ask the author Metazoa if he can patch libnickel.so1.0.0 for fw. 2.5.2? Or provide a (English) description how he's done it (the TypeGenius hack)?

Last edited by Anak; 07-29-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #72
dmapr
Evangelist

I can certainly ask. I'll let you know if anything comes out of it.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #73
JLuecking
JLuecking began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I find a lot of helpfull hints in this thread. I tried the trick to rename fonts internally and externally and it worked. I tried the patch from the russian ebook forum and it works tremendously well. Yet I never complained about the lost space on the bottom and this fix is a bit too much for me. I am happy about the line spacing fix. With that the appearance in the Aura is even more like a book and more pleasant to read. My favorite fonts on a high resolution smart phone under CoolEdit are Calluna and Sabon Next. My favorite font on the Aura is Charis SIL Compact. I can change size with an online tool at fontsquirrel, the webfont generator. It blocks commercial fonts from Adobe, Linotype or Microsoft. The need for enlarging fonts comes, because the Aura has the right size to me about 32, probablay depending on the font and book formatting. Here you can vary in steps by 4: 28 - 32 - 36, which does not help. I wonder if Metazoa can add a fix in his patch similar to what he did with the line space setting.

@dmapr:
Maybe you can ask this too.

I wonder if resizing a font can be done in the commercial version of Type Light (Type 3.2). I see that you can use a clone of ScalePStoTT (Global/Run Action).. But then the x-height grid must be fixed. I think I will need to read the manual. Want to try out before I buy. Has somebody done this before?

Thank you
Joachim

Last edited by JLuecking; 07-29-2013 at 11:58 PM.
JLuecking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #74
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky

Quote:
I can certainly ask. I'll let you know if anything comes out of it.
If you're active...I've narrowed it down to 4 or 5 possible edits to enable the advanced font settings...I'd love to see him release 2.8.1 with only the advanced fonts hack so I can understand it a little better...
Old 07-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #75
dmapr
Evangelist

@Joachim: yes, I'm in the same boat as you, so I have undone the change to the bottom spacing in his patch. I didn't quite catch though what exactly you would like to ask about font sizing: do you want to increase the range of the font sizes available or narrow it down but make steps more gradual? Sorry for being dense.

@buffaloseven: I'll ask. Haven't seen him back there for a few days, so don't know when/if he'll reply.