Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 03:09 AM   #1
eBooksgp
Connoisseur
eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
'I'm in the mood for writing...!!!!'

Morning all!!!! Good weekend yes yes??

Got another one for you,

I try to set myself times to write out side of my normal day job etc... but, find sometimes I'm not in the mood for writing and cant seem to get anything down which is really frustrating.

Does any one else have this problem? got any tips??

Thanks all.

GP

[non-forum signature removed - moderation]

Last edited by dreams; 11-21-2011 at 03:16 AM. Reason: non-forum signature removed - moderation
eBooksgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:31 AM   #2
Steve_D
Steve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to behold

Device: iPhone 3GS
It's a common problem, even for those with whom writing is their profession.

What kind of environment do you write in? Is it quiet, free from distractions? What do you use to write? If you are using a computer, close down all applications except the one you use to write, including instant messenger apps, email, browser, etc. This will help if you are easily distracted (you might not even realise you are easily distracted).

What time of the day do you set aside for writing? Everyone is different, but generally I find my brain is better at this sort of thing shortly after waking and having breakfast. It gets harder in the evening, and anything I write late in the evening needs proofing carefully the next day!

Another good way around this kind of mental block when writing (its not quite writers block, that is deeper and usually not a temporary thing), I find, is exercise. Get some blood (and therefore oxygen) to the brain, and you'd be amazed at how many ideas start coming through, all at once. I've often wished I had a pen and paper when out running so I don't forget any of them when I get back to my desk.

We're all different, and finding the right conditions for you to write in may take some time. Some people are happy writing and working in Starbucks, whereas that drives me crazy - I need solitude, most definitely. Perhaps try finding a quiet spot in a park with just a pen and paper? Nature is inspirational and the walk to find a decent spot will get the blood going and the creative juices flowing.

Best of luck! Let us know how you get on and share your tips with us

Last edited by Steve_D; 11-21-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Steve_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 03:50 AM   #3
eBooksgp
Connoisseur
eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Steve, great post!!!

I use a laptop to write, I've tried a coffee shop writing and does not work for me at all.

I find best time is in bed at night, I'll get there. Thanks
for you tips etc.. I will find them useful.

Thanks

GP
Old 11-22-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
RobertLCollins
Groupie
RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've found that I need a regular time and place to write. I have a room at my house that serves as my writing office. I sit down to write in the morning, after I've eaten, showered, shaved, etc.

But this weekend, while I was on the road doing a book fair, I wrote a few pages in my hotel room before heading out for the day. I think part of getting yourself working is having a project you're passionate about. When you have a work you care about, you'll want to find the time to write that story.

Good luck!
RobertLCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
All the time, and when I'm busy with something else that's when I get all the words coming. Maybe because my mind wanders while I'm working. I use a notebook to write things down as they come to me, then write up the notes later. If I don't have anything to write I just read through what I already have and make changes to that. You need a place that you can associate with writing. My place is in bed with a laptop too, but during the day. There's also a field where I go (with the notebook), that works well for me too, but I've no idea why.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 06:21 AM   #6
garam81
garam81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garam81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garam81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garam81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garam81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garam81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garam81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garam81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garam81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garam81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garam81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
I managed to get a first draft of a novella (around 63,000) words done while sitting in my tiny kitchen, with my netbook and Radio 4 Extra in the background. I think I need some sort of background noise or else I just end up looking at a blank screen.
garam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
eBooksgp
Connoisseur

garam81 - you see im different there i need silence to write, when will your book be available?
Old 11-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garam81 View Post
a novella (around 63,000) words
Ooh heck, if that's a novella what would 30,000 words be called?
Old 11-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Need to tell the story

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertLCollins View Post
I think part of getting yourself working is having a project you're passionate about. When you have a work you care about, you'll want to find the time to write that story.
I agree with this. I sometimes stop writing a story, because my mind becomes focused on another project. I'll come back to the other story later.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:03 AM   #10
garam81
garam81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garam81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garam81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garam81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garam81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garam81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garam81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garam81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garam81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garam81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garam81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBooksgp View Post
garam81 - you see im different there i need silence to write, when will your book be available?
Not actually sure. Probably late next year. Since finishing the first draft, I came up with my time-travelling assassins series, so have been busy writing that.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:05 AM   #11
garam81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Ooh heck, if that's a novella what would 30,000 words be called?
Mr Ploppy - 30,000 words = novelette?

I thought the 63,000 was enough to be called a novel, and then I went online and found out it wasn't(!)
Old 11-25-2011, 06:50 AM   #12
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Well, 60,000 words works out at 200 A5 size pages at a normal size font that you get in most paperbacks. Maybe it's just what I read, but anything over 100 pages I would call a novel.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #13
garam81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Well, 60,000 words works out at 200 A5 size pages at a normal size font that you get in most paperbacks. Maybe it's just what I read, but anything over 100 pages I would call a novel.

God, it can get so confusing, sometimes. My first book is under 4,000 words so I was told that was classed as a 'short short' and my second book is just under 15,000 and that's apparently classed as a 'novelette'.

To be honest, I'd much prefer to have two categories when it comes to fiction books. 'Short story" or "novel" - I'd never even heard of a 'novelette' until recently(!)
Old 11-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
eBooksgp
Connoisseur

Garam81 - How long did it take you to write your second?
Old 11-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #15
garam81

I think it took about a month. It was easy to write and my Beta readers/critique partners were quick - and thorough - and got back to me within a week so I was able to get started on the edits sooner than expected.