Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-21-2016, 12:23 PM   #1
Strahan
Strahan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Recommendations?

Can anyone recommend an e-reader that has a display like the Kindle Paperwhite but allows me to load whatever MOBI files I want using Calibre (or just direct file transfer over USB) and has a non-moronic collections implementation? I've been using a Kindle Paperwhite with Calibre and the Kindle Collections plugin to make collection management automated. My Kindle got on the internet somehow and updated itself, now it is all broken (the collection management). I really hate having to create and manage collections using the device itself, it's so clunky and inefficient. I'd be satisfied if I could manage it on the web, but I can't find a way to do that and even if there was, I'm sure sideloaded books would probably not be supported.

So I was thinking maybe it's time to buy an e-reader that is better designed. My main gripe with the Kindle is the organization of books. Does anyone have recommendations? Thanks!
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:33 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
Can anyone recommend an e-reader that has a display like the Kindle Paperwhite but allows me to load whatever MOBI files I want using Calibre (or just direct file transfer over USB) and has a non-moronic collections implementation? I've been using a Kindle Paperwhite with Calibre and the Kindle Collections plugin to make collection management automated. My Kindle got on the internet somehow and updated itself, now it is all broken (the collection management). I really hate having to create and manage collections using the device itself, it's so clunky and inefficient. I'd be satisfied if I could manage it on the web, but I can't find a way to do that and even if there was, I'm sure sideloaded books would probably not be supported.

So I was thinking maybe it's time to buy an e-reader that is better designed. My main gripe with the Kindle is the organization of books. Does anyone have recommendations? Thanks!
My recommendation is go here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=140
They may have a way to fix your problem.
Or you might try a Kobo but you will have to convert to epub.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2016, 03:45 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you do not mind converting to ePub, I would recommend a Kobo Aura H2O or a Kobo Glo HD. Kobo Readers work very well with Calibre and Calibre can easily manage collections on Kobo Readers.

But as suggested, maybe you can jailbreak your Kindle and be able to use the Collections Manager plugin to manage collections on your Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:00 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Thanks Jon.
Here is the forum with everything one needs to jailbreak a kindle.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=150
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:24 PM   #5
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
There is another possibility. Not sure its a great one, but it does work. You could create 'virtual collections' using the book name.

I used to do this, but don't anymore. You use calibre to set up an output recipe. In my case, I wanted to name the output book (converting from mobi to mobi) "SeriesName&Number Book Title". Using this approach and sorting by title on the kindle it placed all of the series alphabetically in a row.

I know there are a lot of shortcomings with this approach, but it does work if it fits your needs.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert