Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-23-2016, 09:54 PM   #1
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
best lighted reader for wireless OverDrive fulfillment?

Do any other e-Ink devices with integrated lighting offer wireless Overdrive fulfillment, or is Kindle still it?

It's time to replace my evening e-Ink reader. My PW2's always-wimpy battery life has taken a nose dive since the "must-have" firmware upgrade - didn't even make it through a novella on a fresh charge last weekend. I almost exclusively use it for OverDrive access for night reading. No side loading required is fabulous, although I still dislike Kindle's (dis)organization and fonts.

Luckily my T2's battery seems solid, but I haven't figured out where I put the lighted cover.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:06 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think the only option would be one of the Android based devices.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2016, 08:27 PM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Rakuten, the company who owns Kobo, bought Overdrive last year. At the time they announced they wanted to bring the two together. However that's as of yet to happen.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:49 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Kindles are it for dedicated E-Ink devices.

However, you may wish to discuss the battery issue in our Kindle forums. There was a recent thread on it in the Developer's Corner, although I don't have a link handy as I typed this from my Kindle Touch.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:10 PM   #5
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think the only option would be one of the Android based devices.
Thank you. I've been off MR for awhile so I'm not sure which devices you're speaking of, but I'll do a little digging in the device forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Rakuten, the company who owns Kobo, bought Overdrive last year. At the time they announced they wanted to bring the two together. However that's as of yet to happen.
I knew about the Rakuten/Overdrive purchase, but didn't see anything on Kobo's site to indicate wireless Overdrive. Thanks for the confirmation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Kindles are it for dedicated E-Ink devices.

However, you may wish to discuss the battery issue in our Kindle forums. There was a recent thread on it in the Developer's Corner, although I don't have a link handy as I typed this from my Kindle Touch.
Thank you for the heads up. I checked and the PW2 is still on 5.7.3, so I'll apply 5.7.4 manually tonight and see if that helps.

I've had the PW2 for 2 years this month, and the Oasis announcement gave me new device itch, but I wouldn't mind getting a little more time out of it and waiting for something better later.

I still don't understand why Amazon puts minimal effort into book organization/fonts/layout, but their data must give them reasons. Or Jeff Bezos doesn't need anymore than purchasing Goodreads brought, so he doesn't care.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2016, 04:17 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
Thank you. I've been off MR for awhile so I'm not sure which devices you're speaking of, but I'll do a little digging in the device forums.
See the Onyx Boox subforum. It is the frontrunner in the niche market for Android tablets with E-Ink displays. Not dedicated ereaders but (very) often used with ereader apps.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:37 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
I knew about the Rakuten/Overdrive purchase, but didn't see anything on Kobo's site to indicate wireless Overdrive. Thanks for the confirmation.
At the time of the purchase, something was said that suggested Overdrive would come to the Kobo devices, but it wasn't explicitly stated it would happen. Since then, I haven't seen anything mentioned about this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote